cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are two of my cores not functioning?

bk2000
Level 7
Hello, I have a Rampage Extreme III and I have checked the bios and it says all cores are active. But, looking at this Core Temp graph I saw that core #4 and #5 have virtually 0% load levels. Is this just an error in the graph or do I have a couple of lazy cores and is there a way to revive them?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

X-ROG
Level 15
What are you using to load the cores?

I'm running MS Flight Simulator.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi there! 🙂

Seung-Woo Kim, senior application engineer at Intel:

"We made extensive use of Intel® VTune Performance Analyzer and the Intel® Thread Profiler, ITT 3.0," Kim continued, "resulting in a substantial performance improvement in the flight simulator."

"To enhance the visual quality of the simulation, a number of threading techniques were used. The first thread manages the game rendering and processes the artificial intelligence and physics algorithms. On a system platform with more than one core, multiple terrain tessellation simultaneously executes on the second, third, and fourth cores. Digital elevation model loader and texture composition tasks are encompassed in this processing as well."

So uses four threads;)

Many thanks for your quick and understandable answer though not an answer that pleases me. Seeing 2 cores just sitting there idle gets my goat. (if you know what I mean?)

HiVizMan
Level 40
You could always run a virus scan in the back ground and allocate those cores to the AV 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, I know....most games are still quad or dual core oriented 😞

But you can run Photoshop CS6 and use all your cores and all your RAM! 😄