cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G53Jw CPU & GPU Fan speed monitor & GPU overheat with silent fan

gargoyle434
Level 7
Hi there, i am an ASUS G53Jw-SZ161V owner.
Almost 1 year has passed since i bought it.
Recently, during gameplay with a new game ("The Secret World"), my notebook started producing video errors, probably for overheat issues. I thought it was the latest nVidia driver that i had updated a week before the fact, so i restored the old driver. Later i noticed that the GPU temp was very high from the nVidia System monitor, so the question is:

why is the GPU fan so silent even if the GPU is working at 80° or more?
A friend of mine, a G73J Series user, had some dust on the heat sinks, so his fans were very loud until we cleaned it. Why my fans are quiet instead?

Next question is:

is there a way to monitor both CPU and GPU fans speed?
I didn't find much over the net.

Thank you for help
ASUS G53Jw-SZ161V
CPU: Intel Core i7, 740Q, 1.73 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (1536 MB DDR5)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Install HWINFO64 and choose to enable the EC sensor when asked in a dialog on the first launch. This sensor provides fan speeds for both CPU and GPU, at least for G74 and G75 laptops. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19626-G55-GPU-Temperature-Thresholds-and-Fan-speeds-(on-Ful... indicates it may not display G55 fan speeds, and I don't know for certain if it works on the G53JW.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks for your reply.

I have read that post, and followed all the suggestions.
Alas, my G53, with EC enabled, doesn't seems to let that fans appear!
I can get only a GPU fan value in percent (still at 100%), just like the G55 user 😞

I have tested the other options too, with no luck.

Checked an updated bios: not available
Checked an updated chipset driver: not available
Updated nVidia driver to the last available by nVidia, no change.
ASUS G53Jw-SZ161V

dstrakele
Level 14
At least you can monitor GPU temperatures. What is the GPU temp when you experience video issues?

Do these video issues display simultaneously on an HDTV connected to your laptop?

Blowing out the fan exhausts and intakes with compressed gas to loosen up dust on the fans is a good first step to reduce temperatures. A repaste becomes necessary to achieve normal temps on an active gaming system when it reaches a year or so in age like yours.

I don't know, since the video error problem doesn't occur any more.
I usually play with a VGA-connected 24" monitor with the same resolution of the notebook (1920x1080), leaving the integrated LCD disabled.
I usually left the cover closed in this situation, but from the day the problem appeared i keep it open even if i'm using the external display only.
Do you know the fans maximum RPM?
ASUS G53Jw-SZ161V

dstrakele
Level 14
Ithink it's good to leave the lid open for maximum cooling.

I believe maximum fan speed is ~3500 RPM. Idle fan speed ~2200 RPM.

Well, my CPU fan never goes over 2700RPM; cannot say the same for my GPU fan 'cos ' can't get data from the sensor.
ASUS G53Jw-SZ161V

dstrakele
Level 14
You may need to run a benchmark like Prime95 to exercise your CPU to see maximum fan speeds.

Will do as soon as i will return back home from work, or during the lunch break 😉

Something off topic: will i need to insert the Captcha for every post from here to eternity?
ASUS G53Jw-SZ161V

Well, i did the test with Prime95 🙂

I see CPU temp going up to 86° (may be more if i let it continue the test) and the CPU Fan speed going up to 4700RPM.
I attached a screenshot of Task Manager and a program used to monitor temperatures and fan speed.

It don't think that the fan could go any faster, so i stopped the test.
Anyway it was not so loud. May be the G53Jw is more silent than G73Jw at full speed.

So may be the GPU Fan is working, but i don't realize it 'cos it's too silent compared to the standard fan noise.
Now i just need some program able to measure its speed 😉

Thanks for your support.

Bye!
Val
ASUS G53Jw-SZ161V