cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Code AE

Fat_Drunk_Stupi
Level 7
Can't break free of q code AE error.
I've tried resetting CMOS, Removed battery wait 20 minutes etc., flash with the latest BIOS, reset all components nothing works. Really starting to hate this motherboard.

All new system:
Asus Maximus V Gene
Intel 3370k with stock cooler
Corsair AX850 PSU
Intel SSD 520 with SATA 3 cable
Corsair Vengeance LP 16 GB (currently only one dim in the board)
Asus 670 cui non top connected to monitor with DVI cable, also tried HDMI

Any help? Ideas? RMA?
15 REPLIES 15

Sgt_Velo
Level 7
You have the one dim in which slot, red or black?

AE refers to Legacy boot event, maybe check your boot devices, unplug any unessential usb items.

Are you able to get into BIOS or is it not showing anything on screen?

Remove combo card thing if you have it installed.

Been fussing with this board for days and never once seen the BIOS screen. Black, red, 2 all 4 dims, i've tried em all.

Yes, the mini pci card was a huge problem. I took me a day to figure out the board would not power up with it attached.

Sgt_Velo
Level 7
Well it should be a red dim slot, one closest to cpu if installing just the one dim for testing, have you tried it with no hdd's/ssd's attached?

Have you tried the on board gpu using a hdmi and removing your 670?

Also try it out the case on the box as such just for making sure your case is ok, use the boards power buttons, barebones type of testing.

If no joy then you could check the cpu pins are ok in the socket, if all look nice and straight then remount and give it one last try before RMA?

First off - thank you very much for your help.

Yes, just one DIM in the first red slot.

Yes tried on board GPU with HDMI.

If I remove SSD then I get quick code A2. Plug SSD back in and I get q-code AE.

Yes, currently have motherboard out of case with only CPU fan header connected. All CPU pins still perfect.

How does RMA work? If I bought the card from Amazon last week, can I simply send it back to Amazon? Perhaps Asus should pay me for my time Beta testing their motherboard...

Nackers
Level 15
Don't lose hope in the board mate, The guys here will help you get things sorted,,, I was getting same Q-code when my SSD failed,,, and these is what I was advised to try,,, You could try a different sata3 cable and make shore it's in one of the middle intel controlled sata ports and try using a different power cord to the ssd from your PSU,, than try it again with one ram stick in B2 the furthest from the cpu.. Your Cooler isn't done up to tight, that can cause troubles too,, Give it a go with the stranded Intel cooler,,. also have you updated the SSD's firmware and done a secure erase of the ssd on another PC,,,, where all here to help you mate

Using stock intel CPU cooler

I tried switching and replacing SSD SATA and power cables in every possible configuration

Tried a standard hard drive from another machine.

Tried RAM in all possible configurations

I had a nightmare last night that two giant letters were chasing me... AE! AE! AE!

HiVizMan
Level 40
I assume you have removed the CPU and inspected the socket? If not please do so and while you have the CPU out look at the underside, you will notice very faint indentations where the pins have made contact with the pads. Try and see if all the pads have that little dot in the middle where the pin has made contact.

Now insure that each of the PSU connectors are properly seated and making firm contact. Pay especial attention to the 12v CPU connectors.

Power up with no hard drive and only the VGA, keyboard and mouse connected.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Have I removed and inspected the CPU? Only half a dozen times! I am running out of thermal paste.
Maybe if I keep removing, inspecting and reistalling the CPU, I will eventally break something on the motherboard and then Asus can claim no responsibility

If I remove the SSD then I get an A2 error.
When I reconect the SSD SATA cable then it reverts back to q-code AE.
The same thing goes for the monitor HDMI cable

I've unplugged and rechecked the motherboard power connectors at least a dozen times.

Surely an AE code can't be so broad as to mean that any component could be the source of the problem.

I'm happy to try any NEW ideas you come up with. Thank you.

8_Pack
Level 12
Have you tried without the external PCI EX graphics and just using the onboard graphics. Maybe a bios update is needed for the recently released card??? In a couple of experiences I have seen this code when my cold bugged graphics card will not boot at extreme temps so speculating teh error may be graphics orientated. DO you have another PCI ex card to try also???