cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I not turn off USB2 power when the PC is off?

Delano_888
Level 7
I have a RIVE and a Corsair Vengeance M90 mouse. But every time my pc is off, and I accidentally click the mouse, it turns on, all the lights go on. Kinda annoying. I did find battery charging support for USB3 in the bios but that's not it. I just want my USB2 ports to be unpowered when the PC is off. Anyone knows?
13 REPLIES 13

Raja
Level 13
Advanced>APM set ErP to Enabled. Depending upon how your PSU supports ErP it will shut-off USB power. Works with Corsair AX series and some Silverstone PSUs, not sure about rest.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Advanced>APM set ErP to Enabled. Depending upon how your PSU supports ErP it will shut-off USB power. Works with Corsair AX series and some Silverstone PSUs, not sure about rest.

Nope, didn't work 😞 all that did was turn boot by PCIe off. (Which disables my wake-on-lan). However, The mouse is still lit up when the PC is off.

Raja
Level 13
The ErP directive allows up to 1W of AC power draw, so not all PSUs will lift the 5V rail. Not much you can do if your PSU handles it that way.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The ErP directive allows up to 1W of AC power draw, so not all PSUs will lift the 5V rail. Not much you can do if your PSU handles it that way.

lenehan wrote:
It will be a good practice if all PSU follow SOP so being a consumer will benefit as a standard.

I'm sorry I don't really understand you both.
I turned on the ErP, all that that did was turn PCIe boot off. (ErP turns the other switches off, then turns itself off again, it never stays on btw)
Now my mouse still lights up.
So basically my mouse takes less then 1w, makes sense.
But shouldn't the motherboard have a feature which disables USB power when the PC is shut down?
I just don't really understand why the RIVE would still want to power the USBs on power off.

lenehan
Level 10
It will be a good practice if all PSU follow SOP so being a consumer will benefit as a standard.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

Nodens
Level 16
That doesn't happen on the RIVE only. USB slots get power anyhow. By what you describe your PSU is not ErP compatible and with that PSU there's nothing you can do about it other than turning the PSU switch to off.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Delano_888
Level 7
I think that's really strange and in my opinion every motherboard should have the option to completely shut off the USB ports when the PC is powered down. I don't see the point in keeping them on anyway. And you can say the PSU should support it, but how hard can it be to make a simple switch in the motherboard itself?

Nodens
Level 16
It is like that so you can charge USB devices while the PC is off and for wake on USB etc features. The ErP/EuP standard is made for power reservation/eco-friendly and the motherboard supports it but the PSU has to support it too. Like Raja said this is PSU dependent.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Delano_888
Level 7
Again, I understand ErP is a feature which has to have a specific PSU. Still, ANOTHER feature of any motherboard should be to turn off USB charging (or USB power or whatever) when the computer is off.