Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Debian on G75V

ROG Member Array

Debian on G75V

Hi folks,

is there anyone out there, who got it to run?

I try since days and have a lot of problems.

- Grub down want to be installed at the SSD
    - I always have to run 'nvidia-xconfig' every start, otherwise there is just an empty screen without menus
    - wireless mouse is just sometimes working,
    etc, etc.

Hope I can find an companion in misfortune,

the Captain

P.S. Installed Debian wheezy with Gnome 3

I really love Debian on my servers, but I don't get why you need it on a gaming notebook =)
    ASUS G75VW (Intel Core i7 3610QM, 12 Gb DDR3-1600, nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2 Gb, 2x750 HDD, 3D Vision)

Because I for instance like the idea of software being free (and free to modify). Driver compatibility with LINUX for home laptops is pretty much a non-argument. My G53SX runs perfectly from a stock install of Ubuntu.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Member Array

@Korky: I run ubuntu on my (not yet G55) laptop and have done for years. It boots faster, runs faster, installs faster and updates faster, as well as being better for some specific things I do like androoid development. I do still run windoze a couple of times a week for apps that won't run on linux, but ubuntu accounts for 80 - 90% of my switched on time.

@captainStone: G55 & G75 should be good because they don't do graphics switching, and while folks have had a few problems, these seem to be getting fixed or have workarounds pretty quickly see here http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+g75vw for example
    Last edited by Zygomorphic; 09-11-2012 at 12:59 AM.
    A friend of the man in the shack

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by d-Metrius View Post
    I really love Debian on my servers, but I don't get why you need it on a gaming notebook =)
    :-) I'm not a gamer. But you are right, I've should inform myself about the Linux compatibility before.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Use Ubuntu or Mint instead, they are a bit more polished versions of Debian. I used to run ubuntu on my other laptop. It always worked flawlessly right from install. No monkeying around that everyone seems to think Linux is still in the last decade.

I am going to give Ubuntu 12.04.1 another go. I left the Ubuntu camp because since Ubuntu 10.10 the quality of each release was worse than the one before it. They got so bad that it was unusable. I went to Fedora, which works well, but is much harder to configure everything, and getting the nVidia drivers working is all but impossible ... for me at least. Maybe with the slight version change things will get better ... I'll see and post my thoughts when I get it installed.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Member Array

I'm using Debian since many years now. Ok, it's true, it's a bit more work at the beginning to get a good running system, but after them, I don't want to miss it.

Ubuntu is really great for guys who chance from Windows. But I prefer a system, that's not changing all the time everything. The first Gnome 3 with Ubuntu was a mass... That's why Debian testing is my way. Still stable and not so old then Debian stable ;-)

Back to my question. I see there is not really someone who installed a Linux on a G75. So I will move on to another forum. Thank's guys for your answers,

The Captain

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    I am going to give Ubuntu 12.04.1 another go. I left the Ubuntu camp because since Ubuntu 10.10 the quality of each release was worse than the one before it. They got so bad that it was unusable. I went to Fedora, which works well, but is much harder to configure everything, and getting the nVidia drivers working is all but impossible ... for me at least. Maybe with the slight version change things will get better ... I'll see and post my thoughts when I get it installed.
    I've gotten tired of Ubuntu myself - I hate the new UI. I switched to Mint. Might I suggest running virtualbox on the laptop and mint as a guest? That's what I do and it runs extremely well. No muss, no fuss, don't gather no dust.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainStone View Post
    Hi folks,

is there anyone out there, who got it to run?

I try since days and have a lot of problems.

- Grub down want to be installed at the SSD
    - I always have to run 'nvidia-xconfig' every start, otherwise there is just an empty screen without menus
    - wireless mouse is just sometimes working,
    etc, etc.

Hope I can find an companion in misfortune,

the Captain

P.S. Installed Debian wheezy with Gnome 3
    I'm fairly certain your difficulty with GRUB is because of ASUS' weird partitoning, something to do with the recovery thing (completely useless peice of crap)
    If possible for you, I would suggest booting into a live session and just repartition and format it to hell and back, create a new GPT table etc with gdisk if you're handy with the command line.
    Otherwise I'm sure gparted in a ubuntu live session will do the trick.

EDIT: Are you able to install Debian btw? Ubuntu "Boot Repair" might be able to get GRUB working from a live session afterwards.
    Proud owner of the ASUS G55wv
    Former proud owner of the ASUS G1Sn.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast