New ROGer Array

Question Is my laptop overheating and what can I do to improve graphics? (ASUS g53sx-rh71)

So I have the ASUS g53sx-rh71, the 1080p, gimped 128-bit data bus. So I have been playing Just Cause 2 on medium-ish settings and ended up RMAing the damn laptop a few months ago, I knew it ran hot but I always thought that it RMAed due to a factory defect, but a few days ago I started playing the new Counter-Strike: Global Offensive game (the only one I can actually play on max settings), and I noticed the vent was very hot. So I got GPUz and started measuring the temps, I have only measured at the default settings for that game and got 64C constant GPU temp (NOTE: this is also using a CM Storm SF-something or other cooling pad at max fans). Is this normal? I'll probably repost with the max settings temp later.

A second question I had was how to improve the performance in games? I didn't know that they screwed consumers over on the data bus when I bought this and I thought that it would be enough to effectively use the HD screen, but anyway I was thinking that I should shut down the processes for say lights and stuff and turn the color scheme to Windows Basic, will that work or will I have to do any advanced things to this system to get it to run games better or at least with better fps on higher settings?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Normal. 64c is not even close to overheating.

Desktop color settings won't have an impact on a full screen game. The ATK software doesn't run on the GPU so killing it won't make your graphics card any faster. Keep in mind that mobile parts are not going to have the best performance. The best high end mobile parts are only comparable to a mid range desktop because they are a lot more limited by power and cooling.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Agree. 65C is actually on the LOW end.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm
    Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

New ROGer Array

I don't know I mean my laptop had RMA'd before and I don't want that to happen again....also I noticed that in a particular high lag game online in Ghost Recon Future Soldier, there was a spike to 71C and I know that if 80C is where you don't want to go over on a desktop shouldn't the threshold be lower for a laptop? Besides I don't even know if there is a heat issue with the PC yet.... And a new question: are any of the utilities (besides for things like the lights and such) that came on the computer worth keeping?

New ROGer Array

Your temps are great. Stay under 90 and you are fine.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by p4triot7 View Post
    ... And a new question: are any of the utilities (besides for things like the lights and such) that came on the computer worth keeping?
    You mean the ASUS utilities (aka bloatwares)?
    I can name two that you should be wary of: ASUS Live Updater and WinFlash.
    There were instances where some bricked their laptops by using these utilities
    (especially with the BIOS update).

But some of of the utilities could be useful to a particular user. For me, I have the
    Power4Gear Hybrid (to use the ROG button for 3D Mode), and the USB charger
    (for recharging the phone even w/o the G74 turned on). All in all, it's just a matter
    of choice. Just choose the utilities that are suited for your usage.
    ASUS G74SX-3DE