cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Formula X79 - Red CPU Q-led

z3rum
Level 7
Hi all,

I've just put together a brand new build that fail to boot. I don't get any sound or debug led numbers, the Q-led for CPU go red immediately after power on and stay red. I've tried to reset CMOS using button on the back of mobo, reseat the CPU, switch BIOS, try with only one memory stick in D1, still no luck.

My components are:

- Rampage IV Formula X79 Mobo (Bios is 1305)
- Intel i7-3820
- 4x4gb G.Skill DDR3 PC3-17000 RipjawsZ Series for Intel X79 (9-11-10-28)
- Diamond HD7970 (connected to Cinema Display over DP)
- Seasonic X1050 Power Supply

Any help would be much appreciated.

Update: Added Bios version, tried with 1 memory stick

/Christian
13 REPLIES 13

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend please look at the white sticker between the sata ports and the 24 pin power connector. What are the last 4 digits?

That will be your shipping BIOS. Then check on the motherboard support page if your CPU is supported with that BIOS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thank you for the quick reply I did check it and it says 1305 which as far as I can see means that i7-3820 should be supported.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You could try your second BIOS chip? And tripple check your power lead connections especially the 8 pin ATX (at both ends Mobo and PSU) to make sure contacts are good....peer in the cable ends.

Hi Arne,

I did try with the second BIOS same result, I haven't double checked on the ATX connector, but the motherboard, graphic card and fans seem to power on fine, so there is power, there is just black screen though. I will recheck the ATX connector when I get home.

/Christian

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes indeed.

May I ask what cable you are using to connect your PC, and what monitor you are using?

I have had issues in the past with HDMI cables and certain TV/Monitors.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I use an Apple Cinema Display with a DisplayPort connector to the Radeon HD 7970, but I assumed that the Q-led red-light on CPU was an indication that there was a CPU issue?

Zka17
Level 16
You may need to reseat the CPU... and during the process check the pins in the socket...

Zka17 wrote:
You may need to reseat the CPU... and during the process check the pins in the socket...

Did you ever get to the bottom of this, as I have exactly the same problem, and am begining to think it may be a faulty motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Wazz72 wrote:
Did you ever get to the bottom of this, as I have exactly the same problem, and am begining to think it may be a faulty motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Welcome to the ROG forums, Wazz72.

Please list your complete system specs as detailed as possible.