cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW Touchpad question and driver

colpolite
Level 9
The touchpad on this is good and bad, the good is that the surface is smooth and the left/right buttons are also perfectly fine and clicks very easily and it is quiet.

The bad is the damn actual moving of your finger when just moving the cursor or tapping, it's like it has a mind of it's own and it will sometimes skip or it is glitchy. I believe this is because of the default ELAN driver, can we instead use a synapse driver for the G55/G75?

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

colpolite
Level 9
Nothing? So we are stuck with this Elan driver then?

d-Metrius
Level 7
I'm using synaptics
ASUS G75VW (Intel Core i7 3610QM, 12 Gb DDR3-1600, nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2 Gb, 2x750 HDD, 3D Vision)

d-Metrius wrote:
I'm using synaptics

Did you have elan when you first got your pc? Where do i dl the right version of synaptics for our g75/g55?

d-Metrius
Level 7
I had Synaptics as default on my G75. I download synaptics driver for my G75 from here: http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/129-ASUS-G75VW-Clean-Install-Guide?p=294#post294
ASUS G75VW (Intel Core i7 3610QM, 12 Gb DDR3-1600, nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2 Gb, 2x750 HDD, 3D Vision)

Living_Room_Roc
Level 7
Since we are discussing the Elan touchpad (and not the Synaptics variety), I would like to express my disappointment with this (G55) touchpad also. I have been back and forth with Tech Support only to finally learn that you cannot modify the sensitivity of the pad. I also believe (that is, not confirmed) that the Elan touchpad it heat sensitive (like a smart phone screen or iPhone). When looking over links in a web search, for instance, I would hover my finger over the pad while I determine what link I will choose. Then all of a sudden a web page would open up where the cursor was over a link without me touching the pad at all.

Can anyone confirm?

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
And that just ain't greasy kid stuff.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Check the ASUS download site for the notebook drivers that are approved for your notebook, but I only see the Elantech Touchpad driver listed for the G55VW model.

If you are not able to change the touchpad sensitivity and don't tap on the touchpad to left-click, you should at least be able to disable the tapping function so that even if the mouse cursor moves around on its own, it will not be left-clicking or selecting anything, so it should cause fewer problems this way.

ignaciojn
Level 7
There's a MAJOR issue with the Elantech touchpad, and very little information about it.
You can't use both buttons at the same time. Since this is a gaming laptop, it's quite inconvenient, in that you can't hold the right button (to AIM in most shooters) and press the left button (to SHOOT).

Ainen
Level 7
I have to say this is the worst touchpad I have ever used. Just from typing and having my hand on the rest next to the pad it activates and changes the window or moves the insert point. Finding the fact that ASUS uses both Synaptics and these Elantech pads makes it worse, in that they have something better and for some reason chose to use this inferior product on the G55s. I have tried several revisions of drivers to try and adjust the sensitivity of the thing and the only working option I could find was to disable the tapping action on the pad so one had to always use the buttons, which reduces the usability of the pad. I of course have always preferred the 'stick' so identified with ThinkPads today, but long ago was present on several brands before touchpads even came out.

How did you disable the tapping action on the touchpad?