cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPT -> MBR: what will I loose, what will cease to work?

d-Metrius
Level 7
What will I loose and what will cease to work if I turn off UEFI boot in BIOS and repartition my disks (2x750) to MBR?
ASUS G75VW (Intel Core i7 3610QM, 12 Gb DDR3-1600, nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2 Gb, 2x750 HDD, 3D Vision)
12 REPLIES 12

Korky
Level 9
That's what I di and I noticed better performance, plus, now I can backup my partition as an image using Acronis True Image or any other free utility properly! When it was that stupid GPT. if I backup the partition, I was never able to restore it successfully.

so go ahead and do it immediately and save yourself a lot of trouble

rewben
Level 13
for a user who knows what to do to his machine, there is nothing to lose. however, if a user that can only depend on vendor-provided recovery procedures to restore their OS, they might need that.

(i think i read it somewhere that microsoft enforces the use of gpt and uefi for every windows machines produced by the vendors).

gpt and uefi are robust, but most of us do not require those features daily, and still live happily.

Korky
Level 9
one more thing to mention, by changing from the default GPT to MBR, I gained 20 seconds in speed in reboot time

I used to reboot in 45 seconds (complete restart, shut down, back to windows)

Now I reboot in 24 - 26 seconds 🙂

fc2462
Level 7
Has anyone tried to convert a GPT disk to MBR without reformatting?

I found this software but I don't want to be the first one to try it, LOL.

http://www.extend-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html

d-Metrius
Level 7
Thanks for your replies, two more questions:

1) Will ASUS Recovery DVDs still be able to recovery factory state with MBR instead of GPT?
2) Can I make a fresh install using MSDN Win7 Home Premium Image and activate it using OEM serial number from the notebook sticker?
ASUS G75VW (Intel Core i7 3610QM, 12 Gb DDR3-1600, nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2 Gb, 2x750 HDD, 3D Vision)

d-Metrius wrote:
Thanks for your replies, two more questions:

1) Will ASUS Recovery DVDs still be able to recovery factory state with MBR instead of GPT?
2) Can I make a fresh install using MSDN Win7 Home Premium Image and activate it using OEM serial number from the notebook sticker?

1) No

2) YES = ASUS G75VW Clean Install Guide

PS: The moment I got my laptop, I deleted that stupid recovery partition and did a clean install, who needs all the bloatware especially McAfee Virus Scan which makes your laptop crawl like a turtle and removing it may still leave leftovers. Nothing beats a fresh install with the latest drivers

I've just gave this anwser in another thread with the same problem. So here it comes again.

You can convert it to MBR with a program called "Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager" from Aomei Technology.
It makes the conversion from the windows enviroment, and do it without dataloss.
Just remember to check the boot settings in bios, otherwise You might get the following error:
Bootmgr is missing
Press ctrl-alt-del to restart.
If You get the error, then change boot settings in bios.
I've been there, and done that, so good luck.........

generic
Level 7
Limitation of "Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager" in the demo version:

"DEMO LIMITATION: The demo version can not commit operations to disk. "

So, $62 to convert your disc. I'll reinstall 🙂
G46VW - Intel Core i7-3840QM @ 2.8 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB, Crucial m4 256Gb mSATA SSD, 500 Gb Seagate Momemtus Hybrid HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 1366x768/720p screen resolution, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO.

Mini tool Partition magic is free and they claim to be able to make the conversion, I have not tried this but the option is there in the program? I've used this program for most other disk operations with out issues.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro