Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Coolermaster HAF-X
Coolermaster 1200w PSU
i7 3930k
H100 cooling
16gb Corsair 2133mhz
Dual Sapphire HD7970s
500gb Raptor

The system runs FLAWLESS with a single 7970 in it. As soon as i add the second card it will do one of a couple things:

1) Screen start flickering green once i am at desktop.

2) Get hung on "Starting WIndows" screen. (I CAN boot in Safe Mode with no problem).

I have tried switching cards to make sure each one works, etc..

I have tried Catalyst versions 12.6, 12.7, and 12.8 and get the same errors.

Usually if I install new drivers with one card installed, shut down and install the 2nd card. The initial boot works and I can game on my system. But at the next reboot the errors start happening??

As stated in the manual, I have the first card in PCIe slot 1, and the second card in PCIe slot 4. I am receiving the AA code on the debug screen, everything is showing up fine in BIOS as well.

Any suggestions? My BIOS seems to be up to date. I downloaded the latest one and when i tried installing it i got the "your version is the same or newer" message.

Do I need to just trash these cards and get the nvidia 690? =/

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please go into your BIOS and change your PCIe configuration to Gen2. It is in the PCH section.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Please go into your BIOS and change your PCIe configuration to Gen2. It is in the PCH section.

Thank you for the quick response. I have not tried this yet and will as soon as I get home. Is it usually autoset to Gen3?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes that is the default.

The ability to do Gen3 is CPU based and since the Intel LGA2011 CPU's are not certified Gen3 even though some can support Gen3 it is pretty much luck of the draw with multi cards.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
They should do Gen 3 my 2 680s do Gen 3 fine no problems at all, Make sure your cards are showing up in the bios also try swapping the 2 cards around just to see what happens.

LiveOrDie wrote:
They should do Gen 3 my 2 680s do Gen 3 fine no problems at all, Make sure your cards are showing up in the bios also try swapping the 2 cards around just to see what happens.

I have swapped cards around, and tested each one single (not CF). They run great individually, just not in CF. This evening I will try switching my PCH settings to Gen2. Crossing my fingers!!!

HiVizMan
Level 40
No two CPU's are the same. What my CPU can do and what the OP's CPU can do might be completely different compared to what your CPU does do. The only given we have is that all the CPU's will run the specifications that are printed on the BOX. Everything else is a bonus.

In the ideal world all CPU's will clock memory to 3400MHz, overclock the core to 5GHz on 1.3volts and run 4 VGA's on GEN3 with ease. Sadly that is not the case. 🙂

HiVizMan wrote:
No two CPU's are the same. What my CPU can do and what the OP's CPU can do might be completely different compared to what your CPU does do. The only given we have is that all the CPU's will run the specifications that are printed on the BOX. Everything else is a bonus.

In the ideal world all CPU's will clock memory to 3400MHz, overclock the core to 5GHz on 1.3volts and run 4 VGA's on GEN3 with ease. Sadly that is not the case. 🙂

Yes i know this but overclocking and running hardware as it should run stock shouldn't have to be a gamble should it.

lenehan
Level 10
I run into the same situation mate. I did exactlly what HivizMan did to step it down to GEN2 and two of 7970 DCUII top was was running fine.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No of course not but we are not talking stock now are we.

Are you under the impression that LGA2011 is Gen3 certified? For your information it is not Gen3 certified.