cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Owner of a G53SW-Xn1

Retired
Not applicable
Hello all,

First i would like to say i am happy to be here. I really wanted an ASUS as soon as i saw one and as soon as i saw the specs. I would have been here sooner but i backed out of a newegg purchase for a jw when i saw the sandy bridge chips were soon to be released.

OK, so here is my issue. BLOATWARE!!!!

i have a Windows 7 Professional cd from my PC but i assume i cannot use that since the ASUS is loaded and has a keycode for home.

So what is the best way to do a clean install?

and from this crazy list..... what do i need to install?
G73 Series Driver and Application Reference
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

Thanks ahead of time!
11 REPLIES 11

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity, Thanks a lot!!! got the instal done and new drivers up and running. BUT i have another follow up question.

i have 2 options. either a small SSD drive like 60 to 80 gb. OR the seagate 500gb hybrid that has the 4gb ssd built into it. Thinking onr or the other for startup, os, and programs. If its the ssd, it would only be OS and bootup. If hybrid, pretty much everything else....

So which one do you suggest? and if i do get it, how do i go about adding the Win 7 and all the info from current HD over? or i should say, easiest way

Whatsdafus wrote:
Chastity, Thanks a lot!!! got the instal done and new drivers up and running. BUT i have another follow up question.

i have 2 options. either a small SSD drive like 60 to 80 gb. OR the seagate 500gb hybrid that has the 4gb ssd built into it. Thinking onr or the other for startup, os, and programs. If its the ssd, it would only be OS and bootup. If hybrid, pretty much everything else....

So which one do you suggest? and if i do get it, how do i go about adding the Win 7 and all the info from current HD over? or i should say, easiest way

I'd do a 120GB SSD. Easiest way to transfer the OS would be to first get the OS partition down to below 120GB (you can move your Steam directory to the 2nd HDD for example). Then make an archive of the boot partition with backup software like Acronis or Clonezilla to either the 2nd HDD or an external USB HDD. Swap out the drives for the new SSD, and restore the archive. Boot to the new drive and let it update itself.

As for bags, I have my eyes on the Everki Beacon. Slappa makes a few too.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity wrote:
I'd do a 120GB SSD. Easiest way to transfer the OS would be to first get the OS partition down to below 120GB (you can move your Steam directory to the 2nd HDD for example). Then make an archive of the boot partition with backup software like Acronis or Clonezilla to either the 2nd HDD or an external USB HDD. Swap out the drives for the new SSD, and restore the archive. Boot to the new drive and let it update itself.

As for bags, I have my eyes on the Everki Beacon. Slappa makes a few too.

TY once again!!!

does the 120gb ssd have to be a certain type?
Like i believe it must be 2.5, sata... and that's all i know for now.

as for those bags, 17" size i'm assuming eh?

Retired
Not applicable
PPS

As a student, im going to be lugging this monster around. Anyone have a bag they use and suggest? cause my old 15.6' one is useless now for this laptop.

xeromist
An 80GB SSD is actually a decent size. Windows fits into 30GB or less so that still leaves you a good bit of space for games & media. If you get yourself an external hard drive to store the bulk of the things you don't need frequently then you should be able to get away with an 80 easily. The hybrid drive is going to use more power than an SSD alone and it won't be as fast so keep that in mind.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
Yep, 2.5" SATA
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
Yep, 2.5" SATA

does sata 2 or sata 3 matter?

I am sure somebody has already answered this question but YES Sata 3 does work. Just installed with no issues using the Amazing help up top.