cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vw-bbk5 ram upgrade question

metgen
Level 7
I have a stock G75VW-BBK5 that I wanted to ad 16 GB of RAM to so that it would be 24GB.
I found and purchased a pair of KomputerBay 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz 8192MB NON ECC 10-10-10-27.
After I installed these 2 SODIMM's the laptop would not post, let alone boot.

Both SODIMM's were socketed correctly. I've read on here that CORSAIR is the preffered brand, but does anyone know
why this would not have worked?

When I press the power button, the leds in the front flicker and the machine stays off. Upon removing the RAM the
laptop runs just fine.

any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

yixingchen
Level 7
When I upgrade mine, it didn't have any issues. But I used 4x4gb. I don't know if it's the problem, but maybe you need all four slots to match?

rewben
Level 13
uh? i tried to clear up your confusion and further recommended what i have to make it work here. my combination is here. it is important to know that matching rams are important if you go the route of ram upgrade without voiding warranty (i.e. adding new ram to user-accessible slots only).

many are doing ram upgrade now, and there are many previous discussions about it on g55/g75 but are scattered around in the forum. the search function is useful in locating them.

and, corsair vengeance might not be the right ram, because it is CL9 (while most stock ram that we found here are CL11). the combination down-clocked my machine from 1600mhz to 1333mhz.

p.s. i checked the my stock ram with hwinfo64 just now. it does not have compatible CL mode for CL10. maybe that's why your machine would not boot. i might be totally wrong about this.

yixingchen
Level 7
Use this to find the right ram for your laptop: http://www.newegg.com/MemoryFinder/

yixingchen wrote:
Use this to find the right ram for your laptop: http://www.newegg.com/MemoryFinder/

This helped me tremendously. Thanks!
G75VW-BBK5

Folks,
Thanks for your comments. I sent the Komputerbay 8GB RAM modules back.
I will attempt to upgrade to 16GB instead of 24GB by adding a pair of 4GB SODIMM's at a later date.

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Sounds like defective RAM.

The laptop will downclock the RAM to match the weakest stick. Example : Mixed DDR3 1333 and 1600, the ram would be down-clocked to 1333

metgen wrote:
I have a stock G75VW-BBK5 that I wanted to ad 16 GB of RAM to so that it would be 24GB.
I found and purchased a pair of KomputerBay 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz 8192MB NON ECC 10-10-10-27.
After I installed these 2 SODIMM's the laptop would not post, let alone boot.

Both SODIMM's were socketed correctly. I've read on here that CORSAIR is the preffered brand, but does anyone know
why this would not have worked?

When I press the power button, the leds in the front flicker and the machine stays off. Upon removing the RAM the
laptop runs just fine.

any ideas?
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

bignazpwns
Level 11
G75' does not support 8gig sticks. Only 4gig for a max of 16gb total.

rewben
Level 13
haha i realized that i gave the WRONG statements myself about why the ram caused boot failure, after reading Shawnne's explanation. sorry about that OP.

here's the closest thing i found about the CL modes of the ram of OP:

source: Amazon