Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Got A Rog board finally

Just a little too excited to put it together especially the long day or two of transferring stuff back from a fresh install.
    I did take some pics of it all together.

Everything I say about gamers, I know this is really not a gaming Board, But just at a few things haha.

Enjoy!

Dont mind the mess of cables, Gotta figure out how Im going to do everything as some things are not where im used to so I also had to take a few things off.

A little few things Id like to note, I won this, And a few things I do not like this board is that none of my 3pin fans would go on the 4pin connectors, Which is kinda sad... Since there really are 0 3pin connectors. Going to re-read the manual in case though.

Another issue, The horrible spot for USB 3.0 front panel, Just dont understand why thats right between the CPU and the Back Panel Connectors.

Yet again another problem, the 2x 4pin molex connectors on the motherboard, I dont understand why its smack dab above the PCI Slots, and one below it facing downwards, That would requite 2 seperate molex PSU Connectors to make it work which I used one by going under the GPU but still looks uglyish, On top of that the one above the PCI Slots would require it to drag all the way down from the top which you would still see the wire.

Honestly these are not a big issue but I would just like to point out I was so confused by the design.

Also no ROG Game First, quite upset at that Only thing I see beneficial to gamers is the Intel Ethernet and the 3way SLI capability.

The soundcard from realtek is just horrid compared to my PCI HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Soundcard.

One last issue, The Bluetooth Connector for the board, Has to be installed Prior to putting the motherboard in, which also could be dangerous if you bend the connector pins while putting it in the back of the IO Shield. I just said No and didnt install it since I wont use it.

I know this is a Older model board and all just a little confused to some of the Ideas that were used and what not.
    Nothing Major, just some thoughts of what I think of it.

Now the Major Issues ive seen on reviews ect from sellers...

I do not have the problems with Memory slots dead so far.
    I do notice my mouse dies and cant work unless I unplug it and plug it back in from if it went to sleep, as well as a few times Installing, Yes this is from the Back top 4 usb 3.0 ports only tried top 2 so far as I am using a Powered USB Hub for all my mouse and keyboards and all that, But my Keyboard would still work, just not my mouse. Not really a major concern to me though if I do have this problem and its a bug.

Thankfully, I did not have a bent pin this time, Ive had a bent pin with my mobo last year from asus which wanted me to pay full price to just FIX it yes fix, not replace, and found that quite BS. Alot of these boards I see have been shipped with bent pins. I do not mean to talk down on asus either, It happens.

The one thing I hope does not happen is it dieing, Alot of reports of this as well within a months time it happened usually.

Only things I can think of...haha, As I said no disregard to Asus, its just these are issues that are happening lately alot and would like to bring to your attention.

Hopefully this board lasts over 6 months and my USB ports dont start to go as well.

NOTE: These are from within the past 3 months these issues have occurred and people posted them.

Other then all that was said, Its still a fantastic board Just giving my insight and all after having it.
    Thanks for reading!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Hmm sounds like you're really happy with your new build

One thing....any 3 pin fan connector will fit on a 4 pin header. They go on the same....simply don't cover one pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Hmm sounds like you're really happy with your new build

One thing....any 3 pin fan connector will fit on a 4 pin header. They go on the same....simply don't cover one pin.
    I was not able to for some reason, I tried over and over, Just would not fit, Its either because my pins are not wide enough for the locking mechanism or something wrong with the pin headers part.

Im of course going to try again to see in a day or two, but when I took my 3 pin and compared it to my CPU Coolers header pin, the width of the two were different for the Locking part.

So that was not making sense, and I gave up, used a molex adapter and stopped caring for now haha.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cody_Irwin View Post
    stopped caring for now haha.
    fair enough!

From this page: http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-012074.htm if you want to have another go...

Attachment 11522
    Attachment 11523

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    fair enough!

From this page: http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-012074.htm if you want to have another go...

Attachment 11522
    Attachment 11523
    Derp I know that, like I said, I will have to give it another go, but maybe my hand was shaking and was not going properly on the pins especially since I was up for 2 days straight and almost my 3rd since I did the install around 9pm and got done around 11pm after installs and all.
    But It regardless was not working for me. if it doesnt still Ill give up anyways. But Ill take a picture if its possible.

No more 3/4 pin comments though please, its the least of my worries just more of a annoyance haha.
    Its just weird if this is not backwards compatible with 3pins which years of doing this, This is my first encounter with this problem, But as I said being up for so long could have effected myself.

Because also, this could be the reason why I got a 3pin to molex connector. I say this because as I said EXPLAINING THIS IN ORIGINAL POST, My CPU Cooler is a 3pin but its wider then my 3pin on my fans for it to lock into the header plastic piece, as I look into my case at the header its securely around it without no room to budge, hence why my 3pins from my Cougar fans may not be able to go on hence the problem.

I will take a pic of it later today after I sleep to show you what I mean by this if you dont understand.
    Last edited by Cody_Irwin; 09-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Cody.. it happens to all of us sooner or later. Just shaking all over, too excited to get it in .. then the apology..
    gee, this has never happened to me before .. but you have lots of paper towels.
    Very wise, fresh start in the morning .. rock steady and focused .. yep yep...it should slip right in.

cant wait to see this brother..c.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

The front panel USB 3 is very crappy placed, but an Extreme board does not have GameFirst because it's the OC/v.h.performance angled version, not gamer-angled. You can always download GameFirst from the GENE and try loading it up with the E - it might work?

You don't need the molex plugs. No one ever uses them. They are literally just for extreme overclockers needing extra 12V support.

Hrm, sounds like a Idea Marshall, and yea thats why I stated I understand its not a gamers board just still features were missing sadly , Good thing to know too about the molex plugs, so I can pop those out now hehe as I only skimmed the manual for now.

One thing I cant figure out though I just noticed today while installing some more updates, The bottom (Labeled in manual as the 1st ethernet port) When I am plugged into it, sometimes windows 7 is saying im not connected to the internet but I am (has the yellow icon).

Another issue is the top ethernet port (labeled as the 2nd ethernet port in the manual) Is acting like I have a ethernet port plugged into it but I dont and the LEDS are on for it both the orange and the red one theres no blinking ect. for activity, they are just on, when I try to use the internet through it, it has not worked not once, I goto windows network assist bleah bleah and I try the diagnose it and it just simply says no ethernet port is in it.

But yea, I shall try the GENE with the ROG Game First and see whats up with that haha.

EDIT: Tried it, and it works, I just think its not for me, Its horrible to navigate through sadly to me.

But good idea that was and it installed no problem, its just REALLY Slow on picking up speeds as well as just dont like because it doesnt auto pickup the programs you have installed ect. or any Auto features for the types, but more like you have to set them yourself and add everything.

Maybe in the future it gets better, just for now not my thing XD.

But yea, Not too worried yet because if anything I would take it to the forum for this board specifically and toss a question up in a thread, just giving my oversight so far haha.

EDIT-2: I tried disabling the Ethernet, did not turn the lights off, Tried disabling both, Did not turn the lights off, Tried only having the one with the lights on which wont connect me to the internet nor has a driver On, Did not turn the lights off.

Im starting to think there is something Broken with my Ethernet Port thats the top which in manual labeled #2 Maybe Im new to dual Gigabit ethernet ports, but I assume this should not be giving me these problems, and I also assume I should have been able to connect to the internet with either port.

Now that said, I also under device manager under network adapters only the Working ethernet port, I tried Uninstalling drivers, and adapter, and tried all 3 on the Asus website as well as CD again WITH both ports enabled in bios, As well as one on and one off and vise versa the other way, and can not get both drivers to install if the cd and drivers even have a install for that driver because they dont look like they do.

Just as I said its more of a annoyance to have the BRIGHT led's from the ethernet port on constantly when its not even being used or anything which makes no sense.

Anyone who thinks they know why or could give me a proper explaination please do so as Im new to this Dual gigabit port thing haha.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cody_Irwin; 09-08-2012 at 07:15 PM.

I have the same issue.

I disabled the second port in Device Manager and haven't looked back.

My tower is below me so I've never noticed if it still has the LEDs active

Quote Originally Posted by Cody_Irwin View Post
    Hrm, sounds like a Idea Marshall, and yea thats why I stated I understand its not a gamers board just still features were missing sadly , Good thing to know too about the molex plugs, so I can pop those out now hehe as I only skimmed the manual for now.

One thing I cant figure out though I just noticed today while installing some more updates, The bottom (Labeled in manual as the 1st ethernet port) When I am plugged into it, sometimes windows 7 is saying im not connected to the internet but I am (has the yellow icon).

Another issue is the top ethernet port (labeled as the 2nd ethernet port in the manual) Is acting like I have a ethernet port plugged into it but I dont and the LEDS are on for it both the orange and the red one theres no blinking ect. for activity, they are just on, when I try to use the internet through it, it has not worked not once, I goto windows network assist bleah bleah and I try the diagnose it and it just simply says no ethernet port is in it.

But yea, I shall try the GENE with the ROG Game First and see whats up with that haha.

EDIT: Tried it, and it works, I just think its not for me, Its horrible to navigate through sadly to me.

But good idea that was and it installed no problem, its just REALLY Slow on picking up speeds as well as just dont like because it doesnt auto pickup the programs you have installed ect. or any Auto features for the types, but more like you have to set them yourself and add everything.

Maybe in the future it gets better, just for now not my thing XD.

But yea, Not too worried yet because if anything I would take it to the forum for this board specifically and toss a question up in a thread, just giving my oversight so far haha.

EDIT-2: I tried disabling the Ethernet, did not turn the lights off, Tried disabling both, Did not turn the lights off, Tried only having the one with the lights on which wont connect me to the internet nor has a driver On, Did not turn the lights off.

Im starting to think there is something Broken with my Ethernet Port thats the top which in manual labeled #2 Maybe Im new to dual Gigabit ethernet ports, but I assume this should not be giving me these problems, and I also assume I should have been able to connect to the internet with either port.

Now that said, I also under device manager under network adapters only the Working ethernet port, I tried Uninstalling drivers, and adapter, and tried all 3 on the Asus website as well as CD again WITH both ports enabled in bios, As well as one on and one off and vise versa the other way, and can not get both drivers to install if the cd and drivers even have a install for that driver because they dont look like they do.

Just as I said its more of a annoyance to have the BRIGHT led's from the ethernet port on constantly when its not even being used or anything which makes no sense.

Anyone who thinks they know why or could give me a proper explaination please do so as Im new to this Dual gigabit port thing haha.

Thanks!

ShawnnePC I dont even have the 2nd port in Device manager, I only have one of them, and its the Bottom one, Not the top.

EDIT: Well after installing my other GPU to SLI and removing my 2x molex from the motherboard above the PCI Slots and below it, The back ethernet port that I cant use and STILL cant use the Lights turned off of it though.

Also a update on the 3pins not fitting, Tried again, Still not, None of the 4 pin slots even CPU Header will allow me to plug any of my 3pin fans including the 200mm fans that came with the case ect.

My 3pin header for my CPU Cooler has \ / angle sort of to where my 3pins are FLAT so I assume thats why but Doesnt make sense still as 3pins should be 4pin header compatable.

And Of course I forgot to take pics as I was getting frustrated but the Part that slides on the header to LOCK in, Not where the pins go in as I said are Slanted instead of straight like my fans are, just my CPU Coolers 3pin header is like that which is weird.

Not a problem but just makes less cable management for me, Now I have 5 fans without a direct connect to the motherboard so Im using a bunch of 3pin to molex adapters haha. Its sooo ugly atm.
    Last edited by Cody_Irwin; 09-09-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast