Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

G55VW / Crucial M4 restarting

I have had an issue several times over the last ten days with my Asus G55VW laptop. The machine resets itself, black screen restart (despite the automatically restart option being off). I have switched the stock 750Gb HDD for a new Crucial M5 256 SSD (cloned.) I have also added 16gb of Corsair Vengance 1600 memory plus upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, so I have a reported 24gb. It's for photo processing more than gaming so no other overclock.
    It seems to do this only after hibernate. My normal practice was to leave it asleep overnight, but on Monday and Tuesday last week it reset just under 10 minutes after being woken up. After that no problem all day. This was after a week of use with no such issue. I then shut it down on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, no problems all the next day (9:30AM-Midnight). Thursday night I let it sleep, Friday morning it reset again after just under 10 minutes of use. I checked the event logs for the waking time reset event vs the reported 6008 unexpected restart event.
    I have also tried putting into the hibernate state manually, and sure enough it crashes after just under 10 minutes, every time.
    The system was only being used for web browsing at time it crashed, so both CPUs and Memory are lightly loaded. I have run memtest several times, no reported issues, The SSD firmware is 000f. I'll also try reporting this in the Crucial forums, but thought that I'd ask here too.
    Any suggestions? I'm travelling in Europe and would hate to revert to the HDD, the process would be very ugly.
    TIA Richard

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Does it restart unexpectedly on just the stock memory?

Have you tried disabling/enabling hibernation from the Command Line to recreate hiberfil.sys?
    Last edited by dstrakele; 06-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

Is it crashing, or is it "resetting"?

What I mean is, when you say "the machine resets itself" it sounds like you think the Operating System is purposely shutting itself down, as opposed to a crash which is unexpected to the Operating System.

If it is crashing there should be some kind of crash report in Windows that gives you some information about what went wrong.

You can check in the maintenance sections of Wndows Action Center to see if there is a crash report.

If it is not crashing and Windows is shutting itself down then it might be a power issue, is the battery dead and you're not plugged in? Is there some Power Setting causing it to shut itself down, maybe it it set to only use the battery, or shutdown when the battery reaches 5% power, etc...

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Muskoka View Post
    Is it crashing, or is it "resetting"?
    It's crashing, but no BSOD. It just goes black and then restarts itself, just like a reset button had been pushed. There is a Kernel Power failure event, which basically means that the system doesn't know why it reset itself. The event logs have no further information, other than something happened.
    Richard

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Does it restart unexpectedly on just the stock memory?
    Interesting, it doesn't reset itself without the extra memory, but does when it's put in. I repeated the test twice. Why would the memory reset 10 minutes after waking from hibernate and not otherwise? Bizarre. Is the answer to RMA the memory and try another pair of sticks, or it the machine having problems with the extra 16gb?

Have you tried disabling/enabling hibernation from the Command Line to recreate hiberfil.sys?
    No, I'd like it to hibernate rather than lose state and data.

Thanks for the suggestions! (Should have thought of that one, just seemed extremely unlikely)

RichardH

It looks like you may be experiencing a memory incompatibility issue. This is not uncommon. Some recommend only adding the identical memory module if you are keeping stock memory in the laptop to avoid this type of issue.

I wasn't recommending disabling hibernation, but rather suggesting to recreate the hiberfil.sys file where the memory snapshot is stored during hibernation. The only way to delete hiberfil.sys is to first disable hibernation from the Command Line. Once it is disabled, you can delete the file, then recreate it by enabling hibernation. I was hoping the new hiberfil.sys file created after installing the new memory would change the unexpected restart behavior you observe on Resume from hibernation.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 06-18-2012 at 09:43 PM.

ROG Member Array

It looks like you may be experiencing a memory incompatibility issue. This is not uncommon. Some recommend only adding the identical memory module if you are keeping stock memory in the laptop to avoid this type of issue.
    Given that I can't access the original 8gb to switch it out for 16gbs, I'm a bit stuck. It is better for me to shut it down every time for now and try to return the memory when back in the USA. What brand is the OEM stuff and where does one get it? My 16gb was nicely priced at Amazon.

I wasn't recommending disabling hibernation, but rather attempting to recreate the hiberfil.sys file where the memory snapshot is stored during hibernation. The only way to delete hiberfil.sys is to first disable hibernation from the Command Line. Once it is disabled, you can delete the file, then recreate it by enabling hibernation. I was hoping the new hiberfil.sys file created after installing the new memory would change the unexpected shutdown behavior you observe on Resume from hibernation.
    Ok, I'll try that later.
    Thanks again for the response.
    RichardH

Check out http://www.sevenforums.com/performan...lete-safe.html for recreating hiberfil.sys. Since you only experience problems on resuming from hibernation, I think this has a shot at resolving your issue. Definitely worth a try anyway...

ROG Member Array

Fingers crossed, running with 24gb, bios 208 installed having resumed from hibernate over 30 minutes ago, no worrries. For the easy way to to do the hibernate on/off, I'd point people to MS KB 920730. It's easier to have the two msi files to flip it on and off . Broke the cardinal rule, changed two things at once!
    Thanks for the help.
    RichardH

New ROGer Array

I have the same issue, only I havenot modified anything. It only happenes when I put it hibernate. Usually after 10 minutes the comp just shuts off. Comes back on and there is a kernal error. Just wanted to let you know it happens onunmodifiedmachines as well. All I do now is lock the comp and have the moniter shut down after 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast