cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games crash after i start them

Ray3andrei
Level 7
exactly what the title says, every single game except battlefield 3 and bfbc2 chrashes imediatly after i start them up, i have no idea what's wrong but i pisses me off. since i had another problem like 4 weeks ago, losing faith in asus right now, you know what's going on ? i installed drivers and everything, did a clean install, nothing worked, HELP
7 REPLIES 7

FrozenLord
Level 7
Hi,

Could you please provide additional information?
How does the game crash? (is there any information displayed? does it crash straight to the desktop or does it display the usual dialog "some app has stopped responding"?)
When does the game crash? (like, right after starting it or halfway through the first loading screen or right before you beat the end-boss?)
What laptop have you got? What are your hardware specs?
What drivers do you use?
What Windows version are you using?
What games are affected?

Regards,
FrozenLord

Ray3andrei
Level 7
i get (the app is not working or responding, i have a g73sw and i use the latest drivers ( gtx460m) windows 7, and starcraft 2, borderlands, team fortress 2, skyrim... some games work, most of them don't

knight
Level 8
well all i can say starcraft 2 work very fine with g73sw i have the same laptop.... you might have accidently updated the graphic card driver i suppose u have 460m.. and the setting are not suiting the game.. it happens sometimes... try to clean install the nvidia software from safe mode.. if ur using beta version then try some thing other.. it is difficult to explain which version suits ur laptop..
eg I use nvidia 301.42 - WHQL and it works fine but if i install beta 306.02 Driver my games does not works..

cheers!!

dstrakele
Level 14
If you are getting an error something like "The display driver has stopped responding and has recovered.", that is a Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) error. In this case, Windows has detected the display adapter has stopped responding for 2 seconds. Rather than BSOD, Windows attempts to reset the display adapter, causing the game to crash, but keeping the system running, and it then displays the TDR error message.

NVIDIA recommends (as @knight also suggested) to 'clean' install a known stable video driver version. Installing from Windows Safe Mode will disable other running drivers (such as Antivirus) that may potentially interfere with the video driver installation.

NVIDIA 285.62 WHQL has been recommended in the recent past as a driver version to fall back to if you are getting TDR errors. 304.79 BETA has also worked well for many G Series ROGers, if you'd rather try to stay more recent.

DPC Latency can result in lag, leading to TDR errors, so I also recommend troubleshooting with DPC Latency Checker.

If you are running McAfee Antivirus, it has also been implicated in lag spikes on G55 and G75 systems. Uninstalling it and rebooting, then choosing a different Antivirus, is the workaround for this issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

when i start the game, DPC latency checker goes on red, like really high, HOWEVER, this does not happend when i start battlefield 3.. so my question is, how do i fix this ?

Ray3andrei
Level 7
i seem to have DPC latency spikes, but it gets really high when i start games and it doesnt drop down until the game crashes, and as i am typing it seems to get high dpc ... really annyoing 😞

will a windows reinstall fix this ?

dstrakele
Level 14
As you observed, the DPC Latency spike occurs at the start of the game, causing the crash you report.

A Windows reinstall may initially fix the DPC Latency until you install the driver(s) causing the problem. These may be device drivers or drivers installed by an application, such as Antivirus software.

A detailed guide with screenshots discussing how to troubleshoot with DPC Latency Checker is available at http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml. In short, you uninstall drivers and check if DPC Latency is reduced. If so, you can try to update the driver to see if behavior chsnges OR
uninstall the driver.

What Antivirus software are you running?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT