cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reduce booting time?

Hasan
Level 7
Hello guys,

I just bought Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard. I have I have 2 Corsair Force GT SSDs in raid mode. However, the windows boots takes around 20 seconds to boot. my friends have one SSD and lower almost everything, but his computer boots in 10 seconds. Is there a way to reduce the booting time?

I tried and update asus SATA drivers, intel rapid storage technology enterprise, windows updates, and other software, and no use, what happened the booting time was 10 seconds, then it went to 20 seconds after updating these updates!

I didn't update the bios,,

Any thoughts?
CPU: Intel i7-3930K - Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 - MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme - RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600 XMP CL 7-8-7-24-2N - VGA: MSI nVidia GeForce 680GTX Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5 OverClocked Edition - SSD: Corsair Force GT 550R/510W 120G (2xRAID0) - HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black Edition 7200RPM 64MB Cash - PSU: XFX Pro Series 850W Core Edition Full Wired - CASE: Thermaltake Chasar MK-I - KB: Razar Arctosa Silver Edition - Headset: SteelSeries Siberia v1

3DMark11 Result
25 REPLIES 25

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
RAID is another step in the boot process over having one disk so it will slow boot down. The best thing to cut boot time is the latest BIOS and fast boot!;)

I thought raid suppose to speeds things up! I am talking about windows booting time, which is from the moment windows logo appears to the time where you have to input your password (users screen).
CPU: Intel i7-3930K - Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 - MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme - RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600 XMP CL 7-8-7-24-2N - VGA: MSI nVidia GeForce 680GTX Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5 OverClocked Edition - SSD: Corsair Force GT 550R/510W 120G (2xRAID0) - HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black Edition 7200RPM 64MB Cash - PSU: XFX Pro Series 850W Core Edition Full Wired - CASE: Thermaltake Chasar MK-I - KB: Razar Arctosa Silver Edition - Headset: SteelSeries Siberia v1

3DMark11 Result

Hasan wrote:
I am talking about windows booting time

Yep, me too:confused:

Boot is slower...... benchmarks of RAID array will be higher..... real-world performance?.......pretty much exactly the same.;)

Delano_888
Level 7
I see you don't have bios 2105? That update makes your boot about 10 seconds faster. Also, this might help a bit as well:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20878-Just-a-little-tip-for-faster-boot-times-on-your-R4E-%...

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your windows boot time, from the windows logo to password is all to do with your OS and how you have set the OS up. There are a number of good guides that can help you optimise your system for a faster boot up. Is there any point in doing so? Well not in my view, but there must be a need if so many guides exist all over the web. As I said it is a OS optimisation thing nothing to do with the motherboard or the BIOS once you get to the window pulsing logo.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Your thoughts were very helpful, I did many experiments regarding the boot time, and I notice the more controllers you enabled in the bios the longer the windows booting time it gets. I take your advice and updated my bios as well as disabled some of the controllers that I don't use. So, I managed to cut the total booting time from 37 seconds to 21 seconds. not quite what I wanted but I feel a little bit better now 😄

3DMark11 Result

Which controllers you disabled it?

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL do you have any idea how fast that is in real terms, many thousands of processes and routines need to happen to get all the different hardware talking, I guess we are all (me too) so spoilt these days that we all want instant on. And I guess one day we will get that.

Thinking back to my old ASUS P5K board and boot times. Would have given quite a bit for a 21 second boot. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
LOL do you have any idea how fast that is in real terms, many thousands of processes and routines need to happen to get all the different hardware talking, I guess we are all (me too) so spoilt these days that we all want instant on. And I guess one day we will get that.

Thinking back to my old ASUS P5K board and boot times. Would have given quite a bit for a 21 second boot. 🙂

Exactly...most people don't understand the complexities of computers til they try to develop software...
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23