Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Ok, thanks, I don't really listen to much music so that shouldn't be a problem for me. What to you mean by manage? Do you mean make sure they don't autosave to those folders on the ssd? Like create a My Documents and My Pictures etc. on the hdd and save everything there? In my Downloads folder I usually will move everything to a different folder anyways, I don't like Downloads to be cluttered, so that won't be a problem. So cool I'll add the ssd and the psu to the list at the beginning now and that should be everything, if I'm missing anything else let me know. Thanks for all the help!
    ~Kinesis22

"Since there's only one of me shouldn't my opinion be doubled?"
    "Is it possible to play that game in your sleep?" "Oh definitely, I think better in my sleep."

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Kinesis22, here is an extensive guide about how to install Windows 7 on a SSD (and HDD), and how to optimize it: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/s...-for-ssds-hdds

I've used it for my last 4-5 installs - works perfectly!

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Do you know any good places to buy Windows 7 for a reasonable price? I still don't have Windows 7. . . I was also wondering if I would need any cpu fan or if the one that comes with the processor would be fine to start until I have enough money to upgrade to possibly closed loop watercooling. I think thats what it's called the ones that just go inside the case and have it go to a few fans. And if I do upgrade to that eventually will that reduce the airflow so I would need to add some fans or some other kind of watercooling? I am completely new to all of this so I'm just trying to make sense of what I have heard so far. Any suggestions?
    ~Kinesis22

"Is it possible to play that game in your sleep?" "Oh definitely, I think better in my sleep."

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Not sure in which country are you located, but in US pretty much every bigger office store would have them (Office Depot, Stapples), even at Walmart you may find it... or you can go online from Amazon, Newegg... - if you're a student, you may want to check with your school, you may be eligible for a student discount...

Regarding the CPU fan, you can use the heatsink which came with the CPU - just don't don't OC too hard with that...

Using a closed loop system, not necessarily meaning that you will have pour airflow... it all depends on your case and the radiator setup...

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better, I have seen so many videos where a cpu fan got in the way of the ram heatsinks and they had to remove them from the ram. Hopefully the included fan wont get in the way. . .
    ~Kinesis22

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Download Win7 from Microsoft and use it as a trail for the next 3 months. Then once your trial is over I would get Windows 8. If you can get a deal where you buy Win7 and get a free upgrade to Win8 then take it otherwise trail and buy Win8 later.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    They are all pretty much the same. All those on a good price have the Sandforce controllers which are super quick. 128GB is good to go for an OS and applications. Just manage your download folder and also your libraries, my documents and all those. So if you have like I do a pretty large music collection do not store them on your SSD. Same for moves I guess. What I did was shift my iTunes folder some place else.
    Yes, managing storage space is key with a small system disk.
    Sandforce is good for compressible data, but it is quite a bit slower when used with incompressible data like photos or video.
    This is why I went for a non-sandforce drive, specifically the Samsung 830.

It all depends on what you're gonna use it for. And I spent alot of time researching which SSD was best for me.
    If you are gonna do a bit of HD video editing on your system, get a non-sandforce SSD. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Any SSD will be bat****-crazy-faster than your mechanical drive.
    ASUS Maximus V Formula | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengance 4x4GB 1600
    ASUS GTX 680 DC2 TOP | Seasonic X-760 Gold | Lian Li PC70
    Samsung 830 256GB | WD Green 3TB | Dell U2711 | Win7 64

Hmm, will a sandforce work fine with running a Minecraft and possibly Tekkit server? Does Skyrim try to stay with the os? And how would I get a trial for windows 7? I can't find anything on their website and how would I download it anyways if I don't have an os?
    ~Kinesis22

ssd for OS and hdd for storage, if you whant to you can go whit a ssd for games too
    128 - 256 GIG for OS
    60 - 125 gog for games ( just a sugestion )
    and ??GIG/TB for storing files

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I have my games on my SSD (OS drive) and all I do after I am done is remove them.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast