cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Phoebus work on 16x long PCI-E slot?

cutbuter4fmg
Level 7
Because I'm gonna get a motherboard which doesn't have the short PCI-E 1x slot.
Anyone using phoebus on a long PCI-E?
Thank you in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Newt182
Level 7
Yes it will work in a PCIE x16 slot. The only thing that I can think of that you might want to consider, is any bandwidth issues you could possibly have. I won't be very good at explaining this but I found a link where you can get more info. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=690442&mpage=1

I know that a GTX 580 is very slightly bottlenecked at 8x

cutbuter4fmg
Level 7
Thanks Newt182! I'll look at my motherboard manual for the slot bandwidth 😄

cutbuter4fmg wrote:
Thanks Newt182! I'll look at my motherboard manual for the slot bandwidth 😄

IMO bandwidth doesn't matter in this case.

The phoebus itself is a pci-e 1x-card and will only use 1x-connection even when inserted into a 16x-slot.
I am running mine in a 16x-slot without any problems (or benefits) over a 1x-slot.

H.A.M.mer wrote:
IMO bandwidth doesn't matter in this case.

The phoebus itself is a pci-e 1x-card and will only use 1x-connection even when inserted into a 16x-slot.
I am running mine in a 16x-slot without any problems (or benefits) over a 1x-slot.

If he has 2x GTX 580's running in SLI @ x16 x16 and then adds any other card to a third PCIE slot, his motherboard PCIE slots might go down to x8 x8 x8 and that would affect the performance of his graphics. But it is dependant on the motherboard specs and how many lanes it has for the PCIE slots. Higher end boards will do x16 x16 x16.

Newt182 wrote:
If he has 2x GTX 580's running in SLI @ x16 x16 and then adds any other card to a third PCIE slot, his motherboard PCIE slots might go down to x8 x8 x8 and that would affect the performance of his graphics. But it is dependant on the motherboard specs and how many lanes it has for the PCIE slots. Higher end boards will do x16 x16 x16.

Even if one card was running @ 8x you wouldn't even be able to tell just like running a PCI-e 2.0 card in a 1.1 slot.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Even if one card was running @ 8x you wouldn't even be able to tell just like running a PCI-e 2.0 card in a 1.1 slot.

It seems you're right, the performance hit is about 1%.. I could of swore it was a bit more than that.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I have a GTX 560 with my Phoebus in the bottom slot of my CHVF and my card still runs native @ 16x

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Yes i run SLI and my 2nd GPU blocks of my PCI-e 4x slot so i have it in a 16x slot works fine.

denizg
Level 7
When I install my Phobus on my MSI x97 Gaming 7 motherboard's PCI-e x16 slot (long slot), my PC doesn't boot up. Even the BIOS menu doesn't show up. Does anyone have any solution to this? I need to install it to that long slot beceuse it is the farest from my GPU and I wanna get rid of the noise problems on this card. Maybe there is a setting for that slot to work with my soundcard? Any advices are highly appreciated.