cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking my 660m?

Thaladred
Level 7
Hey guys I just got a BBK5 model as a gift and it is running really well. I'm running GW2 close to max settings and getting 40-55 FPS, so really satisfied. Borderlands 2 is coming up and I have it pre-ordered, was thinking of overclocking my 660m and was wondering if you guys can help me out? What program should I use? And what are the best settings? Thanks a lot, looking forward to hearing your advice.
69 REPLIES 69

sndtribe9
Level 7
I have the same model as you. When you say max settings, that includes supersampling, all 4 boxes clicked (enhanced character models etc) , everything on high , aside the ones that have Ultra (shadows) and Anti Aliasing turned on? Because when I do that I get 15-20 fps MAX outdoors, a bit better in towns but not much difference. Also which graphics driver are you using atm?

Thaladred wrote:
Hey guys I just got a BBK5 model as a gift and it is running really well. I'm running GW2 close to max settings and getting 40-55 FPS, so really satisfied. Borderlands 2 is coming up and I have it pre-ordered, was thinking of overclocking my 660m and was wondering if you guys can help me out? What program should I use? And what are the best settings? Thanks a lot, looking forward to hearing your advice.

sndtribe9 wrote:
I have the same model as you. When you say max settings, that includes supersampling, all 4 boxes clicked (enhanced character models etc) , everything on high , aside the ones that have Ultra (shadows) and Anti Aliasing turned on? Because when I do that I get 15-20 fps MAX outdoors, a bit better in towns but not much difference. Also which graphics driver are you using atm?

Theres Three Ways To Do This

1. Use Evga Software Called Prescision X. just Install And Push The GPU Clock Off Set To 135+ And The Memory Clock Off Set To 500+ And That Should Give Your Core Clock a Boost To 1085-1185 Max In Turbo Mode And Your Memry Clock To 2800-3000Mhz

2. You Can Use Nvidia Inspector Its The Does The Same Thing That PrecicionX Does But This One You Can Overclock It To The Max.

sndtribe9 wrote:

Pretty much yeah and the latest beta drives 3.06 or something for the nvidia card. The only thing I have toned down is shadows set to medium. Shadows medium, native resolution but the rest at high except for LOD which I can get to ultra since it is only the difference of about one frame. Outside I can get a steady 45 or so FPS with things going on, windowed mode.

As an aside thanks all for the advice 🙂 Will getting extra ram help me further with performance or does it only help if I am using a lot of my memory?

Mike_7
Level 7
Hey guys, me too i wanted to oc my gtx 660m.

@gumbee the setting you posted is the exact number that we need to put? i wanna try to oc my 660m. and its my 1st oc as well. lol. hope i wont get any prob! thx for the info btw!

Mike.7 wrote:
Hey guys, me too i wanted to oc my gtx 660m.

@gumbee the setting you posted is the exact number that we need to put? i wanna try to oc my 660m. and its my 1st oc as well. lol. hope i wont get any prob! thx for the info btw!

Do To The Cards Locked Vbios You Can Only Get 135+ In The GPU Core Clock As Far AS The Memory Clock I Havent Seen Any Major Inprovements by Push It Higher Then +500 And With Thous Setting You Wont Fry Your GPU. But If You Really Want To Push The Core Clock Higher Then 1085Mhz There's Two More Steps You Need To follow Using Nvidia Inspector

By over clocking like that how much of an improvement did you get over the factory clocks?

Anyone OC in BF3?
I have G55VW with GTX 660M, a bit afraid to OC.

I like Gumbee's post:

"1. Use Evga Software Called Prescision X. just Install And Push The GPU Clock Off Set To 135+ And The Memory Clock Off Set To 500+ And That Should Give Your Core Clock a Boost To 1085-1185 Max In Turbo Mode And Your Memry Clock To 2800-3000Mhz "

He high do you wanna go? MSI afterbur er will give you a of but if you want anything higher you will need to start forcing p states. Not hard but all the GTX 660m's I seen can do about 1300mhz on the core with no vmods. My card tops out at 1425mhz without a vmod. Temps are max of 71c after 5 hours of 100% load. Performance is about on par with a typical gtx 675m that's been over clocked.

bignazpwns wrote:
He high do you wanna go? MSI afterbur er will give you a of but if you want anything higher you will need to start forcing p states. Not hard but all the GTX 660m's I seen can do about 1300mhz on the core with no vmods. My card tops out at 1425mhz without a vmod. Temps are max of 71c after 5 hours of 100% load. Performance is about on par with a typical gtx 675m that's been over clocked.

What games do you play? Is it a G55 o G75? I have the G55, a bit nervous to do it. I OCed my GTX 660m in my Y580 and had crap tons of artifacts on BF3 on 400+ core temps 72C. I Have a G55VW now though. Still a bit afraid to do it.