cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to buy the G75VW but I'm not sure. Do you have any advice?

joyfulPo
Level 8
I have the G73Jh now that is soon to be 2 1\2 years old.
We've been through a lot very early on with heat issues, weird lines across the screen to black screen.
But I don't have any of these issues anymore except the heat issue from time to time, shutting down.
My current screen is a 17" something (1600x1200) with the ATI Radeon HD 5870M 1GIG and some Intel Core i5 processor.

Anyways, enough back story and to the point here, I really want to buy G75VW but I'm not sure.
This is because I'm not really that smart when it comes to hardware but I can tell you this much, I play alot
of World of Warcraft, Battlefield 3, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and soon Dishonored.

I can't play any of these games on very high settings, I have to keep shadows at low and other things down
to get a more fluid gaming experience.

So this is what I want to buy, maybe:

G75VW-T1134V
17.3" Full HD (1920x1080)
Intel Core i7 (3rd Gen) 3610QM / 2.3 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
6 GB ( 1 x 4 GB + 1 x 2 GB ) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

Questions:
1. I guess T1134V is like the product model and if so, is there anything good or bad with this one?
2. Will I be able to run the G75VW with World of Warcraft on the highest settings like shadow effects, etc and have a smooth experience?
3. The touchpad of the G75VW, is it comfortable? Cus the G73Jh has this 1 big "mouse" button that is not pleasant at all.
4. Does the G75VW have a better "air condition?" then the G73Jh and will I notice any big difference?
5. If you feel you can add anything that would be important for my decision, please don't hesitate to share.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope I was clear enough as english isn't my language 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

Zygomorphic
Level 17
1. With that particular model I dont know - I don't know of any historically unreliable models. About the only thing that needs improvement is the amount of RAM - do that yourself but make sure to get 1600 MHz!
2. Highest settings? I don't know. See link:http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html
3. They split the mouse-pad buttons. 🙂 No worries there. Stiff to push, yes, but for the price you will pay, get even a cheap external mouse.
4. Better - no, same approximately yes, but the GPU puts out less heat as does the CPU. The temps should be lower, which is better AC I guess.
5. Upgrade the RAM to 16 GB. Make sure you run in dual-channel mode - the performance difference is astounding. (2x)
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
1. With that particular model I dont know - I don't know of any historically unreliable models. About the only thing that needs improvement is the amount of RAM - do that yourself but make sure to get 1600 MHz!
2. Highest settings? I don't know. See link:http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html
3. They split the mouse-pad buttons. 🙂 No worries there. Stiff to push, yes, but for the price you will pay, get even a cheap external mouse.
4. Better - no, same approximately yes, but the GPU puts out less heat as does the CPU. The temps should be lower, which is better AC I guess.
5. Upgrade the RAM to 16 GB. Make sure you run in dual-channel mode - the performance difference is astounding. (2x)

Thank you for the feedback. 🙂

But I've had a look at the G75VW on how to open it up + it seem like a much easier job to clean it for dust?
There are things like that, that make me really consider replacing it with a G73Jh, hm.

Hm, maybe the biggest change is going from 1600x1200 to a 1920x1080 resolution? I never had such high resolution ever, so I'm not sure how this will feel on a 17.3" screen.

Screen on my ASUS G73Jh has TFT Matrix something, I have no idea what that means, could perhaps you or anyone else explain to m what the difference is between the TFT Matrix and the LED screen? Positive\negative?

TFT stands for Thin Film Transistor. Both are technically TFT displays. The difference is in the backlighting. If your G73JH has the older CCFL backlighting, there is a difference. Otherwise, the difference is nil. True LED displays are really rare and insanely expensive. LED backlighting has become really commonplace though.

On the resolution front, don't worry about it. My eyes aren't particularly great, and I handle my 1080p 15.6" G53SX just fine.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

Nyorker
Level 7
I have had the G 75 for one month now and have had no problems do I have to clean the fan because I do not see an app to clean the fan

Nyorker wrote:
I have had the G 75 for one month now and have had no problems do I have to clean the fan because I do not see an app to clean the fan

Sorry, I just had to laugh when I read this post. Now as to your question...there is no app to clean the fans, grab yourself a can of compressed air and have some fun with it, piece of cake 🙂

I'm writing here from my ASUS G73Jh that I'm just cleaning up a bit because I'm going to give it away to somebody that I know.

And the ASUS G75VW with an extra 2 x 4 GIG RAM (that is 😎 is laying in my bedroom, going to open the baby up soon and hopefully get to put the RAM inside carefully without doing anything bad.

Then I guess I should like do some tests? To check if the hardware and everything is doing well?
I'll get back later with an update.
😮

(Oh yeah, and I bought a very large AirCan to keep around)

You asked about WOW performance ...

1) I have an alienware m17x, dual GTX208M in SLI .. and run WOW no issues fully maxed out at 1920x1080, overall, notebookcheck rates dual 280M SLI "about as fast" as a 660M on average ...

I went here, selected a few common current video cards, and just selected WOW. All will do 1280x1024 maxed out, i.e. they show "green" in the chart.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

NOTE that for 280M SLI VS 660M, where they did have actual framerates, the 660M (117fps) was MUCH faster than my dual 280M SLI (52 FPS) for 1280x1024. CAUTION this could be differences other than just video cards, i.e. the SLI system likely had older / slower processor, ram, hard drive, etc.. BUT, certainly this indicates WOW should run just fine on a G75VW 660M.

My current system has SSD, 280M SLI, etc., but, is a 3+ year old computer, plays the current WOW patch 5.0+ at 40+ FPS maxed out at 1080P.

In general, WOW is not a top demanding game, and most "good" modern notebook cards / systems will play wow just fine maxed out.

World of Warcraft (2005)

1280x1024 high
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M SLI 52
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M* 117

Good luck and have fun with your new system!

Thank you all for such great feedback! 🙂

But now I'm going to jump right in and change the direction a bit, if I may?

I'm sitting on my ASUS G75V right now.
Took me 1 hour (as I'm clearly a newbie) to install the extra two RAM, I just didn't push them hard enough in.
So I was curious why the screen was all black, but that was fixed by me step by step finding out I had to push the RAM,
harder, so yeah. I hope I didn't do any damage in the process.

Everything do seem fine at the moment, I have a total of 14GIG RAM that is quite nice as I used to have a ASUS G73Jh with 4GIG.

Hm, but what should I do now?

(Oh by the way, the screen now in the beginning when there is light color like white, blue and so on -
there seem to be "fog" like feeling on screen? Hm, perhaps it's just me that needs glasses.)

Tho I didn't find any plastic to remove from the screen, I thought there would be but there wasn't.
Besides that, well.. the screen resolution is really not as a problem I thought it would be.
It's really beautiful with Full HD.

Ops forgot to ask something important!
Does it do any damage to the laptop itself, to keep the battery in the laptop over longer time when I don't really use the battery as I get power from the plug in the wall?

Were there 3D glasses in the box? The screen is matte 🙂 so that might be a change.