cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPUTweak reports HD7970 GPU suddenly kicking into full gear during idle activity

Goth_Skunk
Level 7
So normally, when my PC is working under Normal Operating conditions, the GPU sits at a comfortable 29-31 degrees Celcius, and is not running at all. But it seems that if I leave it to its own devices, like if I get up to watch a TV show/movie and leave the PC idle, for reasons unknown to me the GPU will kick in to high gear. It will warm up to 60 degrees C, which will then trigger the GPU fan to activate and cool it off.

I hear the GPU fan kicking in, I go to investigate, and as soon as I bring my PC out of idle state, the GPU suddenly shuts off and starts cooling down again. It's like the GPU is doing something when I'm not looking, but as soon as I catch it, it stops misbehaving, like a naughty toddler nearly getting caught with his hands in the cookie jar.

Any ideas why this could be happening?
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
I like the way you have expressed your GPU behaviour it is very well written. 🙂

What I think might be happening is that during these periods of idle your GPU fan is in fact powering off completly. And while that is ok for a short period of time, the heat will build (reasons why are many and the main one is air flow pattern in case) once a certain monitoring point is reached the fan kicks in and brings the temps down.

What you can do to check what is going on is download GPUz the latest version. Now open the monitoring tab, select continues monitoring (or background depending which version you use) and also log to file.

Now leave the monitor application open. And let your system just sit, and go watch a movie or some TV. The system will revert to idle and in the back ground the GPUZ monitoring data will be recorded. Once you hear the fan power up let it be for a while just to see what the out come is. Then go into the location where you log is kept and inspect.

Will show you what is really happening.

Possible fix is to have a set value running for your fan at all times and not a variable program.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Isn't there any way to set the minimum fan speed possible? Turning it off completely is rather stupid, unless the gfx card can also turn itself off completely during idle state..

Preed wrote:
Isn't there any way to set the minimum fan speed possible? Turning it off completely is rather stupid, unless the gfx card can also turn itself off completely during idle state..

Well, you can't do that since the minimum fan speed is 30%. That might be a bug of some sort.
Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper