cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

560ti Problems ect.

Cody_Irwin
Level 10
Hey everyone, Just thought Id toss a message here to see if someone has a Idea or can help.

so here it goes...

I got 2x 560ti's Both having problems since after the 1st month.

Been working with asus on this because I rma'ed before and they found no problems even though I told them it takes awhile to happen, it could be a hour, to a month. This also happens fastest when SLI'ed with either GPU as the first.

I have also tried 3 or 4 different SLI Cables, and 3 different Motherboards, Did not change a thing.

GPU's doing this really ticks me off. I havent used MSI Afterburner Before when I had these problems, but I now assume I had these problems because if you look, MSI overlay is showing that its downclocked, Yet in MSI it also states its clocked at those speed. Besides the manual tuner to do so which I did not touch.

And I explain below, I DID NOT have Msi Afterburner OPEN before this problem happened. I turned it on to see if so, and I saw this for the first time, cause I was using Asus GPU Tweak to monitor instead after they released it in the past. So I assume MSI Is picking up it unlike the Asus GPU Tweak.

GPU In game IN SLI when I saw it Drop using MSI Afterburner overlay for FPS and all that after I noticed it dropped. MSI Afterburner was Not open in the background at all until this happened.
http://i.imgur.com/OXG3U.jpg

GPU In SLI with two screenshots of the MSI Afterburner readings on the right since all of the GPU Information for both cant fit into one screenshot.

1st= http://i.imgur.com/wFWxv.jpg
2nd= http://i.imgur.com/1UDjK.jpg

This is a Screenshot of my SLI Disabled WITHOUT RESTARTING COOMPUTER, I simply went to nvidia control panel, Disabled SLI and Put Physx Also on my 1st GPU so nothing was going to the 2nd GPU which is pretty much having 1 gpu installed.

http://i.imgur.com/7WyM3.jpg

So far some responses Ive had are...

1st Question...

does this only happen in specific games like GW2, or is it across the board?

Second, when this problem starts, does closing the game and reopening it bring back the normal level of performance?

MY ANSWER WAS...

Had this in many types of games before.

And no closing and reopening does not restore it, I have to restart my computer for it to go back to normal, which can happen again within a hour to a month, its random but its quite annoying.

Another question was...

Am I correct in assuming you've tried multiple versions of drivers (including betas)?

MY ANSWER WAS...
Yes since this also happened within a year where there has been multiple releases of drivers =P

ANOTHER QUESTION WAS...

Based upon what you've posted... with your primary GPU going to idle speeds while still under full load, and requiring a restart to recover... it sounds like you're experiencing TDRs.

I know you said you tried different motherboards. Did you, by any chance, try a different or larger power supply? As well as Memory?

MY ANSWER WAS...

Yes, I tried a 1300w psu as well as my current PSU 850w
Yes on the memory.

ANOTHER QUESTION WAS...

Ok, check your C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG folder, and see if there's a .DMP file in there with a time and date roughly corresponding to the last time this issue reared its ugly head.
Oh, and did you do a clean install of Windows each time you changed motherboards?

MY ANSWER WAS...

yes it happens on clean install on each mobo as well as after I do them. doesnt matter if its fresh or not.
Nope I just checked and I have Nothing in my LiveKernelReports Not even the watchdog folder is in there.

So any help would be awesome... As Im finally bashing my head in at this problem. While also working with Asus to figure it out or something then waste money RMA'ing and getting them immidiately back like last time saying there was no problems.

Also I attached the Screenshots as a File incase those at asus cant view from IMGUR as Ive seen they cant.
45 REPLIES 45

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello

I would really like to offer you constructive help, but I doubt that I have the capacity to do so, my thing is motherboards you see. Now the only help I can give you is something I am sure you have done already. And that is go over to the nVid forums and speak to the guys that claim to be experts on their own cards.

What I would be able to do is run through a series of tests with you to determine where the problem could be located. Now there is no guarantee that we will have any success but then what do you have to loose. If you want to try just let me know, but my advice is head over to the nVid forum and hopefully someone can actually resolve this.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yea thats totally understandable HiVizMan, Im not trying to get mad its just more frustrating and annoying when it happens. Trying to go through this with CL-Scott atm but he has no clue either.

But yea... If its deffinately something wrong with the card... Im trying to do this all Now As Warranty ends soon on one of them.
And the fact last time I rma'ed I got the same card back with no problems reported from them, hell they didnt even give me a tracking number I think, and I had to try like 6 different RMA links to submit my form MASON helped me figure out which was REALLY BS too.

My RMA Form just would not go through so that process its self was annoying...

Also Nvidia forums are down since july it says? Think you can link me incase somethings wrong where Im trying to go...haha

kkn
Level 14
weird, i have 2 560ti top's and had no problem using afterburner ( you have to disable the smartdoctor or uninstal it )
and i did not go over 29* series of the drivers..
im curently only running 1 card at the monent ( havent put to gether my upcoming rig yet so )
can it be the AAA thats messing around? ( i THINK that its was named that some thing new for the 600 series ) ( since they are suposed to work on the 600 series of cards?? )

KKN, Ive had this problem for over a year. Making the FXAA obsolete as the problem. Which is for the 600 series cards which is also DISABLED By default.

I do not have Smart Doctor installed either.

Right now, I do not know HOW LONG it will take to get it to do this problem again, could be a hour, could be over a month, but so far im running the GPU's at Max Performance for Power Management. If this does not work, it HAS to be something with the cards and Im running up my electric bill just to test this out... Because this will make sure they never Auto adjust to their usage, And still regardless I shouldnt have to do any of this.

Ugh at Nvidia... as this is the only fix Ive seen lately, as well as it doesnt work from about 80% of people who tried it. Which still brings me to my point of RMA because Why shoud I rise my electric bill to have a stable Graphics card setup?

Just more frustrated then mad, dont take the tone seriously haha, its just how I type XD.

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate, I am not one who likes to promise the world and then not deliver. VGA's of which I have far to many are more problematic than folks realise, and as they are closed units the only fix's possible are the external ones. So if it is a PSU causing the issue and so on.

Of course you have tried to flash your card to a different vendors bios?

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=&interfa...

There are two different types of Ti card so I did not link directly. Try doing that and see if it helps. Has worked for me in the past.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Cody_Irwin
Level 10
Well asus told me flat out, if I flash bios Im screwed before in the past, so I never flash my GPU Bios.

Either way, I can not access nvidia forums, and i dont understand why im being forced to max my card out constantly at max performance to get a stable system if this works atm doing the nvidia settings like that... Kinda BS. haha

cl-scott
Level 12
And just to bring a semi-official comment in here... It's not that I'm opposing the RMA or anything, I'm just thinking this seems like it's some kind of driver/software issue, so a new card wouldn't necessarily help. The issue goes away after a reboot, and seems to have been triggered only in the post-275.xx drivers based on what I've seen from my own bit of research into this.

I know some may find a way to criticize, as there are some that will find fault in everything except themselves, but I'm trying to balance the competing concerns here, and find the best interim solution for all involved. The cards at least work most of the time, and given the amount of time it can take to trigger the issue, I can easily see the cards being sent back as NTF because we really just can't have people sitting around for a month testing for a problem that may or may not come up. So better Cody be able to use them until either nVidia finally figures out what the issue is and solves it in the drivers, or we can figure out a way to reliably trigger the issue and it proves it's an issue with the card itself. At least to my way of thinking. Just want to make sure no one gets the impression I'm trying to stand in the way of the RMA. I just figure it's better to have cards that work the majority of the time than have one come back NTF or get a replacement that doesn't resolve the issue. That's just a waste of time for everyone involved.

kkn
Level 14
dosent 2 diffrent gpu bios's mess whit each and another scott?

cl-scott
Level 12
I'm probably not the person to ask on that, though it is probably something that is worth looking into. I would generally assume that any 560Ti can be paired with any other 560Ti and nVidia would have hard coded the basic logic needed for this sort of thing, but I have absolutely nothing to back that up with. This is the reason I suggested Cody post here and a couple other places where we might chance into people with a much deeper knowledge on this topic than me. I'm more of a console gamer myself. 😛