cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible upgrades for a G74SX?

PauloNeto
Level 7
I`m Have G74SX - I7-2670QM - Gtx 560M - 8GB Ram 1333MHZ - I`m like know abou possible upgrades for Cpu, Gpu and Memory.
Ivy Bridge processor is compatible with G74SX??? Gtx 6**M is compatible With G74SX? HD 7970 is Compatible With G74SX?? G74Sx is compatible with 1600Mhz memory???
Thank You for you time and help.
7 REPLIES 7

chrsplmr
Level 18
The cpu is upgradeable .. but is not ivy bridge.
The gpu .. is onboard the MB ..
The ram is 1333 ..

So if you wanted a G75 why did you get a G74 ..
(just curious .. by the time you upgrade what you can .. you save ??? nothing ?)

chrsplmr wrote:
The cpu is upgradeable .. but is not ivy bridge.
The gpu .. is onboard the MB ..
The ram is 1333 ..

So if you wanted a G75 why did you get a G74 ..
(just curious .. by the time you upgrade what you can .. you save ??? nothing ?)

I bought G74SX in october.

Dont have any possibility of replacing the processor for Ivy Bridge?
Dont have any way to replacement the GPU card?

cl-scott
Level 12
In general, you should consider laptops to be WYSIWYG. They may not always look it, but they are very finely calibrated machines. The power brick is made specifically to be able to power the hardware that came with the unit, the cooling system is designed to be able to handle the waste heat generated by the hardware that came with the unit, and pretty much everything else is calibrated specifically for the hardware it came with.

@cl-scott, that is true. My G-series lappy runs perfectly with the hardware I've got in it. I only upped the RAM and added a 2nd HDD.

I wish that I could say the fans on other manufacturers laptops were tuned to rid themselves of waste heat. Some do it by using the user's lap as a heat-sink. Others do it by making so much noise that you wonder who is running a vacuum cleaner. My ROG notebook is all but silent...the HDDs make more noise than the fans.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

fostert
Level 12
AFAIK:

1) The CPU *should* be upgradeable to an Ivy Bridge. They are socketed the same (FCPGA988), have the same architecture (an ivy is just a sandy on the new 22nm litho), and the same form factor and size (rPGA988B). But, it is very important that you put in an Ivy that has the same TDP (in Watts) as the 2670 (45 W). If you put a 55W TDP Ivy in there, you will a) stress your power supply, b) stress your VRMs on the mainboard (like an overclock would) and c) stress your G74's cooling system. And there is the risk that ASUS' BIOS for the G74 may not be built with the future in mind...and so may not recognize an Ivy. That said, however, I haved read posts from G74 owners on iother forums who have stuck in the 2960XM (the fastest mobile sandy, and a 55W TDP) into the G74 and had it recognized and work well. Just be sure to buy a beefier power adaptor (like a 180W at least) and run the machine in a cool environment, and don't try to win benchmark contests by stressing the mainboards VRMs to deliver power to all 8 threads.

And remember this upgrade voids your warranty.

2) RAM is upgradeable to 32GB @1333MHz. You can put in 2x4GB=8GB of 1600MHz or even 1866MHz clocked stuff, but the G74 will not run the RAM at these higher clocks with all four banks filled with 4x4GB or even 4x8GB (it will downclock back to 1333). Not sure about 2x8GB of 1600 stuff...look around on the forums and see if someone has done this successfully. Unless you need more physical RAM an upgrade of just the clock speed from 1333 to 1600 is almost pointless, since you won't even detect any speed increase in day-2-day apps. An SSD is a far, far, far superior upgrade that will leave a lasting impact on you!

3) The GPU is soldered to the mainboard, so the G74 is essentially stuck with the 560M. I wouldn't even know how to begin to attempt to upgrade it: desoldering the chip, ensuring every pin on the new GPU matches the 560M's pin array, etc. Brutal.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

someone could post a safe overclocking settings for the GTX 560M video card? what is the correct way to overclock the processor i7-2670QM and what is the best configuration to overclock this processor?

PauloNeto wrote:
what is the correct way to overclock the processor i7-2670QM and what is the best configuration to overclock this processor?

The 2670QM in the G74 can't be overclocked. The G74's BIOS has no facility to change voltages, multipliers, memory timings and clocks, etc. I'm not even sure how far you would get if it did: the non-Xtreme Sandy bridge chips are multiplier-locked, so the only way you can OC them is to change the bus ratio, which overclocks everything (RAM, uncore, etc) which makes for an unstable system.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40