ROG Enthusiast Array

Sound card and PCIe slot question

So I'm running my GTX 570 on the 1st slot of my Maximus IV Exteme-Z and my Xonar STX sound card on the 5th slot. The GTX 570 is dropping to 8X. Is there any way to get it up to 16X? Maybe move the sound card to the 8X slot? Any help would be appreciated.

jhuk
    What Mobo?

If same as mines then it should not but it can drop to 16x PCI-E 1.0 spec to save power at idle and shoot back up to PCI-E 16x 2.0 under load (Win 7 power settings)!

I have my GPU on very top slot and sound in very bottom short black PCI-E 4x slot!

Do not mess with dip switches leave off so NF200 does not enable!

ROG Enthusiast Array

So the card should be running at 16X? I'd like to know if there is another slot I should be using for my sound card before I bother to move it. Any help?

jhuk
    No you have it set up same as me, oldest bios I used was the 4XX as I flashed immediately at build time so not sure if your on the 2XX original Bios and it that would be culprit.

Your GPU is 99% same as mines and a soundcard is a soundcard so it will not change anything on your set up over my set up!

Do you have all the proper/latest Intel chipset drivers installed (possibly newer on Intel site than Asus and much newer than your CD)!

You can put the soundcard in one of the 16x slots and it will only pull what it needs which AFAIR is 1x but it may drop the 16x in certain slots!

Have you made sure ALL the little dip switches near the 24 pin socket are at the OFF (default) position?