Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

CPU post-memory initialization error

I'm having trouble getting my new Rampage IV extreme mobo to post.

Whenever I try to boot, the debug LEDs show "34", which my manual says means "cpu post-memory initialization." I've tried placing one stick of ram in each slot individually, and A1, B1, C1, and D1 all return the same "34", whereas A2, B2, C2, and D2 show "65", "cpu dxe initialization is started"--which is the same error code I get when I try to boot with no ram installed at all.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or did I end up with a bad board? PC components are listed below.

Rampage IV Extreme mobo
    GSkill Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 2400 (4 x 8 gigs; a quad kit)
    i7 3820 cpu
    GeForce GTX 660 ti
    Corsair HX850 psu

Thanks!

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array

Please simply the memory device, only install 1pcs...
    and try to do once CLRTC setting..

if the problem still can't solved, maybe the motherboard bad or fail, i suggest you can plan the motherboard to repair and test first..
    but if the problem will be solved...maybe you can help to upgrade the motherboard latest bios (version 2105) and test again!
    bios file download link:
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...-ASUS-2105.zip

ROG Member Array

I've tried booting with only one stick of ram, and still nothing. I've also unplugged everything except the psu, cpu, and one stick--still nothing. CLRTC didn't help, either.

I've downloaded the file you suggested, but I don't know how to update the BIOS when I can't get it to post. Any tips?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Reseat the CPU. While the CPU is out of the socket, inspect the socket thoroughly for any bent or damaged pins.
    7700K @ 5Ghz
    Asus Hero IX
    32GB (4 x 8) Gskill Trident Z @ 3600 16-16-16-36
    2 X Strix 1080 Ti OC Edition in SLI
    OS & Apps: Samsung 960 512GB M.2
    Games: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2
    Storage: WD Blue 3TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1200w
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Tempered Glass
    ROG Swift PG348Q
    ROG G751JY for Mobile Gaming

ROG Member Array

Is there a way to update my BIOS without being able to post?
    Last edited by purcelld; 09-12-2012 at 04:04 AM.

ROG Member Array

Okay, I've reseated the cpu. While I had it out, I looked at the pins, and I didn't see anything that would cause any problems.

I've also picked up some different ram (Corsair Vengeance 1600, a dual kit 2x 4gigs), but that didn't produce any different results from my Gskill sticks...

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

If you look in your manual there is a guide how to flash your bios without there being a CPU present. Use a fat formatted USB stick. Place the bios (depending on which bios you will need to convert to different formats) on the usb stick and insert into the white USB port. Press ROG connect for 3 seconds and let it be.

I would just go up one BIOS from the one your board shipped with. You can see the shipping bios version by looking at the sticker that is between the sata ports and the 24 pin PSU connector.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array 8 Pack's Avatar

It may be the shipping Bios does not support the 3820 CPU. I would try a bios that does first using Flashback as described by Hivizman.

After that try with one stick only furthest slot from CPU with all power connections made with the board.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

8 Pack the shipping bios should be supported I think, as the OP is getting some Q-codes on the LED poster. It is almost as if the ram has not been actually fitted into the board. Wonder if there is a seating problem and that is causing the issue.

Not suggesting the guy forces the ram into the slot you understand, but folks do not always realise how much effort you need to put to get the ream to seat correctly with these new slots.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array 8 Pack's Avatar

Good point Hiviz, I listen for two distinct clicks when seating my RAM and place them in absolutely parallel to the board.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast