cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering about others' performance with games... BBK5

DaManWitDaPlan
Level 8
Hello,

I have the G75VW-BBK5, not sure how that compares with others in this line, but it's got the i7@2.3 and GTX 660m. I'm wondering if my performance is normal or sub-par... I've seen some others commenting that they can sometimes get Skyrim to 60 fps and stuff, and so I'm trying to figure out if my unit has an issue.

Please, tell me what your framerates/performance is on these games, or if you think they are normal.

All of the following are with High Performance, plugged in, with GameFast running and suspending anything unnecessary, and with the game itself being set to Realtime priority. FPS monitored with Fraps.

Skyrim - Ultra settings (as chosen by program) - Averaging around 40 FPS, but dropping to sub-30 in certain areas. 55-60 FPS if I am in an uncluttered area or looking straight up.

Team Fortress 2 - All graphics turned to max, except AA (2x) and reflections (world). Was getting 55-60 FPS, with occasional 40 FPS drops. After changing to multicore rendering, I get a consistent 60 fps, only dropping to 59.

Just Cause 2 - Pretty constant 45-50, all graphics high (except AA)

Crysis - 30-45 FPS on high settings (at 1080p, of course). Almost unplayable, around 20 FPS on Very High settings.

Crysis 2 - same deal, have to play on 2nd to lowest settings to get it to run 45 fps

Metro 2033 - was very slow with DX 11 and DX 10, had to change it to DX 9 with high gfx to get it to run 30-45 fps

GTA IV - Oddest of all, completely unplayable on highest graphics, but one notch lower and it runs playably at 45-50. Still randomly drops down to 30 fps in certain areas.

Is this normal? If not, is there some benchmark test I can run to compare my results with one of yours? I just have this nagging feeling that this laptop should be performing better. It's certainly an improvement over my G71GX-RX05, but I guess I expected more. If it's normal, I'm fine with it though. I just wanna know if I have a bad unit. Thanks in advance!
11 REPLIES 11

mrwolf
Level 10
Hmm.. Hard to tell with approximate fps's in games.. I mean i played crysis 2 with everything MAX except shadows and post processing and it ran over 45fps..

But if you want to compare and see if everything is running the way it should, your best off doing some benchmarks. best two i think are 3Dmark11 and Uniengine's Heaven benchmark

d-Metrius
Level 7
Playing GTA IV at all maxed settings (except for draw distance and other bars at the bottom - I left them at auto-configured defaults) 1920x1080@120Hz with no problem at all and no visible lags.
ASUS G75VW (Intel Core i7 3610QM, 12 Gb DDR3-1600, nVidia GeForce GTX 660M 2 Gb, 2x750 HDD, 3D Vision)

mrwolf wrote:
Hmm.. Hard to tell with approximate fps's in games.. I mean i played crysis 2 with everything MAX except shadows and post processing and it ran over 45fps..

But if you want to compare and see if everything is running the way it should, your best off doing some benchmarks. best two i think are 3Dmark11 and Uniengine's Heaven benchmark

Okay, I'll run those benchmarks later today. When I do, is there any goal results I should look for with them? Like, are there some others that have posted their results here so that I can compare? If I do have an issue, do you have any idea what it might be? I mean I assume it'd be an issue with the cpu or gpu if I am having sub-par performance... I remember there was a thread here that said something like "first things to do when you get a G75 notebook", and it talked about benchmarking to see if the heatsink was correctly installed or something like that, idk. Does anyone have a link to that thread?

d-Metrius wrote:
Playing GTA IV at all maxed settings (except for draw distance and other bars at the bottom - I left them at auto-configured defaults) 1920x1080@120Hz with no problem at all and no visible lags.

Yeah mine definitely wasn't like that. But what do you mean by 'no problem'? Constant 60fps? I did look up to see if others had issues, and I put in a command for unrestricting the memory and it seemed to run about +10 fps faster.

Just in case, I'll list some more info here:

Win 7 64 bit (Stock os)
1 TB 5400 rpm hdd (again, stock)
Running steam and fraps, nothing else worth mentioning
High performance, min proc. % 100, max % 100, AC power
Latest Nvidia verde driver
1920x1080 resolution

And let me know if I need to add more. But it's pretty much just the stock G75WV BBK5.

EDIT: @d-Metrius, I guess it's important to ask, were you running GTA IV or GTA IV Episodes from L.C.? I assume you meant just GTA IV which is what I was running as well.

mrwolf
Level 10
Hmm i looked for a thread about 3dmark11 scores but i cant find it :s..

Basically your score should be around P3400. Make sure you bench it on performance mode and not entry mode. Also the stock 3dmark11 score that is stated on the internet says like P2800-P2900 But you will probably get higher if you have the latest chipset drivers and Nvidia drivers..

If it is under P2900 or P3000 Then you have some problem. Mine is like P3900 or something but thats after OC'ing the CPU + GPU, It can go even higher if pushed more 😉

Also, make sure you follow these instructions:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17461-First-things-to-do-after-buying-G55-G75-based-noteboo...

Thanks, that was the thread i was looking for. I'm gonna run the 3dmark11 test now.

DaManWitDaPlan
Level 8
Ok... so I got P2734...

Here are my results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4370991

So.. what do I do? What's wrong with my machine? Should i try reverting to older drivers? Or is this a physical problem, and if so, how can I tell? Can someone else do a fresh 3dmark11 test for me to compare with? 😞

mrwolf
Level 10
Hmm, sorry i thought you had the Nvidia GTX 670M.. Since you have the 660M you score is fine 🙂 nothing wrong with your computer lol..

Physics score seems good and so does the graphics score.. If you wanna get most out of the system i suggest latest beta drivers for Nvidia and the latest Intel chipset drivers. Or you could overclock your GPU+CPU but really im sure your system is fine the way it is 🙂

Enjoy

mrwolf wrote:
Hmm, sorry i thought you had the Nvidia GTX 670M.. Since you have the 660M you score is fine 🙂 nothing wrong with your computer lol..

Physics score seems good and so does the graphics score.. If you wanna get most out of the system i suggest latest beta drivers for Nvidia and the latest Intel chipset drivers. Or you could overclock your GPU+CPU but really im sure your system is fine the way it is 🙂

Enjoy

Oh ok, great! Thanks. Now I just need to figure why my framerates are still low on GTA and crysis.. lol...

colpolite
Level 9
Don't play High at 1080p on Crysis because that will only give you 30-40fps and when it dips it dips as low in the 20ish. Recommended is to play it 1080p at medium settings of around 55-70ish fps.

If you did your research with a GTX 660m, it will only run 60fps on high settings if you turn down the resolution to 1366x768

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html