cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rep Points

Nackers
Level 15
Hi all, first thing thanks for the rep points guys,, I've notest that what the points where giving for have green tiles beside them and a couple have silver, what do the colors mean,, thanks
50 REPLIES 50

Gorman
Level 12
Each green block = 0-20 rep points
Each silver = 0-120 rep points

Eg if you have 50 rep you will have 3 green blocks, if you have 0 rep you have 1. After you hit 100 rep you curl over to silver blocks.

If I remember correctly.

Rep is meaningless and I don't even know why we have it. I wouldn't worry about it - it means as much as user titles do.

Gorman wrote:
Rep is meaningless and I don't even know why we have it. I wouldn't worry about it - it means as much as user titles do.

I'm sorry, Gorman, but I have to disagree with you...

Regarding the user titles, if you refer to those based on the post counts, I may kind off agree with you - those may show only the ROG addiction... but now you're free to change the "official" title in whatever you want to...

However, about the rep points, I do think that they're much more important! Those are showing/should show the real valuable members/Moderators, who had the most contribution to the ROG community here and/or really helped in troubleshooting. I did spent some time now on this Forum and I already started to recognize those, who can really help and those who makes this Forum a really good place to spent time on... - but, don't forget one thing: this Forum was created as a support one... think about those younger members who just signed up or those who are coming here just for technical issues... They really could use the rep points for figuring out the best advices for a fast resolution of their problems.

At least, I think this is the reason why we have this "rep points" system... it did helped me until now to learn about this community and much more about computers... This system may not be perfect yet, but they're still working on it...

Zka17 wrote:
I'm sorry, Gorman, but I have to disagree with you...

Regarding the user titles, if you refer to those based on the post counts, I may kind off agree with you - those may show only the ROG addiction... but now you're free to change the "official" title in whatever you want to...

Number of posts does not correlate to RoG addiction.
Zka17 wrote:
However, about the rep points, I do think that they're much more important! Those are showing/should show the real valuable members/Moderators, who had the most contribution to the ROG community here and/or really helped in troubleshooting. I did spent some time now on this Forum and I already started to recognize those, who can really help and those who makes this Forum a really good place to spent time on... - but, don't forget one thing: this Forum was created as a support one... think about those younger members who just signed up or those who are coming here just for technical issues... They really could use the rep points for figuring out the best advices for a fast resolution of their problems.

The best advice should be the best advice, not the one coming from the person with the highest rep.
Post count, user title, join date and rep are the 4 worst ways to judge if a solution is valid or not. The best way to judge is to read the post.
Zka17 wrote:
At least, I think this is the reason why we have this "rep points" system... it did helped me until now to learn about this community and much more about computers... This system may not be perfect yet, but they're still working on it...

They probably have it for the same reason they have post counter/titles/join date. It's default in the forum, and they never stopped to think "does this actually mean anything".

I don't treat anyone differently because of their post count, title, join date or rep - and you shouldn't either.

Gorman wrote:
Number of posts does not correlate to RoG addiction.

Second that! 😄

Gorman wrote:
The best advice should be the best advice, not the one coming from the person with the highest rep.
Post count, user title, join date and rep are the 4 worst ways to judge if a solution is valid or not. The best way to judge is to read the post.

Very true, but if a user/moderator's suggestion works, +rep them so that others know what they are talking about. Reading posts is always important, none of us said anything different. What we are saying is that we need an easy way for new forum users to find out who is most likely to tell them how to solve their problem.

Gorman wrote:
They probably have it for the same reason they have post counter/titles/join date. It's default in the forum, and they never stopped to think "does this actually mean anything".

I don't treat anyone differently because of their post count, title, join date or rep - and you shouldn't either.

Fairness is always the only policy - and the one that we all endorse. We don't accept/reject someone based upon their rep, a lot of rep may help to say to others that this guy knws what he is talking about. I have seen some new-comers with <10 posts solve a problem that the regulars were struggling to figure out. Definitely +rep them, of course.

If nothing else, think of +rep as a thank-you note that doesn't splatter the thread in "I agree"/"Good work" posts.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

X-ROG
Level 15
One-day it'll become a factor of achievements. Until then, no change.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Can't be 120, @Gorman, @chrsplmr is highest at +75, then it goes to some at +30.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

chrsplmr
Level 18
Well .. I did not know this Zy ... and Thank You 0ne and All .. I am always humbled by the kindness found here .. always.
Any little thing I can do here .. is purely my pleasure.

I would like to take this opportunity to encourage all members to add to the rep of those posts and
members that you find especially helpful or otherwise valued ... .c.

You are a benefit to everyone here...a valued treasure. 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
Chris I think they repped you in error mate. Got mixed up with some other Chrsplmr bloke. 😄

yeah repping is a nice way to just say I think what you did has value, it may as has been said have some other value down the line. 🙂 My lips are sealed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.