Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    763

    Nvidia GeForce 306.23 WHQL Driver Has Arrived

    The latest WHQL driver by nVidia has arrived.
    It's also compatible with the soon to come Windows 8.

    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/48693

    (Currently downloading it for testing later.)

    EDIT: I just saw the G55/G75 Forum has a similar thread.
    I was thinking of having this thread deleted.
    But on second thought, it might serve those who just frequent
    this "Older G Series Notebooks" Forum and nowhere else.
    Last edited by PILGRIM; 09-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    New driver

    Thanks for the information.

    As soon as you have an opinion about the new driver please let us know about your computer performance.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    763

    Have installed this latest driver for a day now.
    I know, it's still too early to say. But so far, so good.

    Temps are a bit cooler, especially on real-time gaming.
    Idle temps: 40C min - 45C max / Gaming temps (Skyrim): 43C min- 66C max.

    On my fave game (NBA 2K12), 60-73 FPS (similar output with nVidia 306.02 BETA).
    On Skyrim, 25-51 FPS (about +10 FPS improvement from the older BETA version).
    I don't do benchmarking- rely more on real-time output.

    Overall impression- it's stable.

    Don't know why, but the PhysX software wasn't there after installation.
    So had to download it here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9...13-driver.html
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Boosted_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Reputation
    12
    Posts
    279

    Yet to find a driver as faultless as 295.73............ If it crashes let us know.
    GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

    HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
    OLD
    ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    Up to now

    I decided to install the new driver as well. I'm playin Gotham City Impostors and the computer performance hasn't had a noticeable improvement in the maximum fps (everything high) but I have realized that when playing, the gameplay is in some way better, maybe more stable. The temp seems to be a bit cooler specially in idle, under load I don't see a big difference because when I'm playing, the max temp is 72 ºC which is the same temp showed with the last driver I was using (304.41). I saw an important improvement when playing Splinter Cell Conviction because the rig gave me (+6-8) fps with everything maxed out (max temp 64 ºC ). About the problem with the PhysX, I didn't experience it, I downloaded the driver from Nvidia's website. My opinion up to this moment is that it is a good driver, no problems, and the games are performing a bit better. If I experience some kind of issue, I'll let you know.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    188

    Quote Originally Posted by PILGRIM View Post
    Have installed this latest driver for a day now.
    I know, it's still too early to say. But so far, so good.

    Temps are a bit cooler, especially on real-time gaming.
    Idle temps: 40C min - 45C max / Gaming temps (Skyrim): 43C min- 66C max.

    On my fave game (NBA 2K12), 60-73 FPS (similar output with nVidia 306.02 BETA).
    On Skyrim, 25-51 FPS (about +10 FPS improvement from the older BETA version).
    I don't do benchmarking- rely more on real-time output.

    Overall impression- it's stable.

    Don't know why, but the PhysX software wasn't there after installation.
    So had to download it here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9...13-driver.html
    Can you detail the PhysX issue? Is it something like in 301.42 which misses to install Physx even you select it when you attempt a custom installation by selection?

    My thread was similar what you say:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...resting-Story!

    Did you make a full driver install and GPU-Z or NVCP shows Physx as installed?
    ASUS G53JW-XA1

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    763

    Quote Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
    Can you detail the PhysX issue? Is it something like in 301.42 which misses to install Physx even you select it when you attempt a custom installation by selection?

    My thread was similar what you say:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...resting-Story!
    Firstly, I uninstalled all the nVidia drivers (306.02 BETA) in Windows Programs and Features,
    including the PhysX software. Next, rebooted in Safe Mode, used CCleaner and Driver Sweeper.
    Rebooted in Safe Mode again, installed the newer WHQL driver.

    But when I did the Custom Installation, the PhysX software wasn't there.
    So I was thinking maybe it wasn't included in the bundle.
    Proceeded and finished the installation without any hassle.

    Did you make a full driver install and GPU-Z or NVCP shows Physx as installed?
    No, I chose not to install the HD Audio driver and nVidia Update.
    And, no, I didn't bother to check whether the PhysX software was there
    with the GPU-Z, since it wasn't there already while I was installing the 306.23 bundle.
    So, as I mentioned previously, I installed the PhysX software direct via the nVidia linked site.

    Know what?.. I just did a "test install" of the 306.23 WHQL bundle to see if the PhysX is there.
    Beats me, but it was there all right. Thing is, basing on the numbering, it seems like the
    PhysX software version I installed separately with the 306.23 bundle is more updated
    than what's in the bundle?.. See this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nv.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	11727

    The PhysX version with the bundle is 9.12.0604, while the version on my G74 now is 9.12.0613.
    Any idea which one is better? This I need to find out..
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    188

    Thanks for detailed reply, Let me express what i found out. My PhysX was v9.12.0213 and was installed bundled with 296.10. Then decided to install 301.42, after installation has finished, what would i see? The PhysX included in 301.42 was the same as included in 296.10, that is v9.12.0213. That's why uninstalling only "Nvidia Display Driver" through Programs and Features along with Driver Sweeper (including Physx registry entries) wiped out existing physx installation before installing 301.42. The surprising part though GPU-Z shows PhysX is missing, BUT i was able to perform red particle benchmark using FluidMark just fine, thus PhysX was actually present. NVCP prooves that. Nvidia 301.42 installer skipped PhysX installation even though i selected it through custom installation, a silly behaviour of NV installer you know.

    As per 306.23, Physx v9.12.0604 can be installed, however you somehow seem to have installed "newer" PhysX software "alone" which seems 9.12.613 which is NOT bundled in 306.23. That's another weird behaviour of NV. They must have included v9.12.0613 in the latest WHQL, that is 306.23. Aren't i right?

    Nice to discuss with you mate. Have nice weekend!
    ASUS G53JW-XA1

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    763

    Quote Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
    ...
    As per 306.23, Physx v9.12.0604 can be installed, however you somehow seem to have installed "newer" PhysX software "alone" which seems 9.12.613 which is NOT bundled in 306.23. That's another weird behaviour of NV. They must have included v9.12.0613 in the latest WHQL, that is 306.23. Aren't i right?

    Nice to discuss with you mate. Have nice weekend!
    Yeah, and what I found puzzling was that why PhysX v9.12.0604 didn't appear the first time
    I installed the 306.23 bundle. Then it "magically" appeared when I already have the v9.12.0613 version.
    My question now is that is the v9.12.0604 actually better (since it was bundled with the 306.23 version)?

    Have a nice weekend to you, too!..
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array KRAYGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    8)\

    dl'in as i type

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •