ROG Member Array

Angry G75 Slows down on battery while running games

Hey guys is it really normal that a G75 is running totally slow, about 5fps at its lowest and 33fps max when its running games on battery even if it is in high performance mode? and not just that the screen is blinking every 5 seconds or so when it Im running a game on battery.

I dont really want to go to the service center because they might get the warranty out of my laptop.

heres the specs

G75VW-TS72
    i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHz
    750gb HDD
    16gb ddr3 Ram
    Nvidia GTX670m 3gb

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

gpu draws more power. playing games on battery only is not a good idea.

Hi, Even your in High Performance power plan (Power4Grear or Windows) it's adjusted to 'On Battery' mode. That means there're some power saving options and most of the process states are set to lowest when it enabled. So I mostly sure that this could e the reason your having the low fps. (hope plugged in mode works fine for you).

Simply,
    • TaskBar->Power Plan->More Power Options
    • Click on 'Change Plan Settings' -> 'Change Advanced Power Settings'
    • Goto each node and you will see, even you in High Performance, there're two controls one for plugged In and one for On battery
    • So change 'On Battery' settings equals to 'Plugged In' Settings like Maximum and Minimum Process States, Power Saving Options...etc

By this way, you will get the same performence as your in a 'Plugged In' mode. But surely will result to drain the battery quick.

Hope this is helpful...

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

iBoody, even if you make those changes the system will still throttle itself. It's built into the system's architecture and isn't a defect.
    G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
    Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
    Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Apexing's Avatar

this is perfectly normal, and how the system is designed.

ROG Member Array

thanks for the replies its greatly appreciated guys . i think i can still handle finding an outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil_2099 View Post
    iBoody, even if you make those changes the system will still throttle itself. It's built into the system's architecture and isn't a defect.
    but celcil, systems architecture level energy consumption controlled by it's OS power plan for each drivers. that's why they indirectly referenced to two mode options. Just try to switch to 'Battery Saving' power plan and activate battery mode when your notebook is plugged in. You'll witness the same lag/throttle.
    Last edited by iBoody; 09-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

While it may be true when plugged in, the GPU acts independently of the OS power plan when on battery. Just apply the settings as you suggest and you'll see that it makes no difference if you're on battery. I'm just pointing out what I have found in practice ever since I've had this laptop from product launch.

Quote Originally Posted by iBoody View Post
    but celcil, systems architecture level energy consumption controlled by it's OS power plan for each drivers. that's why they indirectly referenced to two mode options. Just try to switch to 'Battery Saving' power plan and activate battery mode when your notebook is plugged in. You'll witness the same lag/throttle.
    G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
    Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
    Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rjulius View Post
    thanks for the replies its greatly appreciated guys . i think i can still handle finding an outlet.
    here i though i am the only one having this problem.. well thanks for this thread