cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of extra ram for G75VW

omamder5
Level 7
This seems like a cool forum, more than most. Hope it receives me as friendly-like as I hope it will.

Now, I know this question has been asked before, but I was thinking about a quick upgrade to my G75VW, just some extra ram. Now, the reason I am asking this instead of "just googling it" is because I want to be exactly sure of what I may need to buy.

The specific model I own came from Staples, with the code G75VW-SS71-CBIL. Here is the product page:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=67%2C68,3194&webid=726141&affixedcode=WW

It has 8 gigabytes of RAM, but I am unsure of the configuration, and I want to be absolutely certain of what I need before I try to upgrade to 16 GB. So, here's the question: am I correct in saying that the laptop has four slots for RAM, two hidden and two exposed, and that mine has used the two hidden ones for two 4 Gig sticks, leaving two empty slots for upgrades?

If this is correct, then I simply need to purchase two more 4 GB 1600 mHz DDR3 204-pin sticks, for 8 GB in total and simply slot them in? Or am I missing something here? I can provide a photo of the opened case if anyone wants one.

Thanks.
32 REPLIES 32

kkn
Level 14
try in the notebook section, you wil get the help you need there 🙂

Sorry, can this be moved, or should I repost it?

EDIT: Moved and merged. --Zygo

omamder5
Level 7
This seems like a cool forum, more than most. Hope it receives me as friendly-like as I hope it will.

Now, I know this question has been asked before, but I was thinking about a quick upgrade to my G75VW, just some extra ram. Now, the reason I am asking this instead of "just googling it" is because I want to be exactly sure of what I may need to buy.

The specific model I own came from Staples, with the code G75VW-SS71-CBIL. Here is the product page:

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

It has 8 gigabytes of RAM, but I am unsure of the configuration, and I want to be absolutely certain of what I need before I try to upgrade to 16 GB. So, here's the question: am I correct in saying that the laptop has four slots for RAM, two hidden and two exposed, and that mine has used the two hidden ones for two 4 Gig sticks, leaving two empty slots for upgrades?

If this is correct, then I simply need to purchase two more 4 GB 1600 mHz DDR3 204-pin sticks, for 8 GB in total and simply slot them in? Or am I missing something here? I can provide a photo of the opened case if anyone wants one.

Thanks.

Edit: I reposted this in this section after first having slapped it into the Build Advice section. Hope that's okay.

That link doesn't work and if you take off the bottom plate you should be able to see that the two spots are unused.

hi omamder5,

correct.

you need to find ram that matches your stock ram. yes, you will need two sticks of 4gb 1600mhz ddr3 so-dimm. however, you also need to find out the CL of the stock ram (for most of us, our stock ram is of CL11, i.e. 11-11-11-28). it's better for you to determine that using hwinfo64.

Moved the other - will merge the threads. No worries...mistakes are made by all of us.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Hi2uHorde wrote:
That link doesn't work.

Weird, it works for me...

Zygomorphic wrote:
Moved the other - will merge the threads. No worries...mistakes are made by all of us.

Thanks a lot, mate.

rewben wrote:
however, you also need to find out the CL of the stock ram (for most of us, our stock ram is of CL11, i.e. 11-11-11-28). it's better for you to determine that using hwinfo64.

Just ran hwinfo, and I think you're correct. Type is listed as PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMM, and under timing, 11-11-11-28 is shown. So are there any recommendations for what manufacturer to use? Also, what would happen if I installed an otherwise identical stick with different 'timing,' such as 9-9-9-24?

omamder5 wrote:
Thanks a lot, mate.

Just ran hwinfo, and I think you're correct. Type is listed as PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMM, and under timing, 11-11-11-28 is shown. So are there any recommendations for what manufacturer to use? Also, what would happen if I installed an otherwise identical stick with different 'timing,' such as 9-9-9-24?

Glad to help! 🙂

Tighter timings will simply loosen up to the loosest settings. Unless you replace all the RAM, don't bother buying low latency RAM.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Unless you replace all the RAM, don't bother buying low latency RAM.

"Lower latency" here meaning faster, correct? I'm a little lost with all these technical designations. The only problem with buying 11-11-11-28 RAM is I can't seem to find any that are of a reputable company, I'm only finding something like "Mushkin" online. However, I found a pair of Corsair Vengeance 4 GB sticks for just 55 bucks on Amazon, with timing of 9-9-9-24. Why not just buy those?