cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring the machine.

AlanMcKinnon
Level 10
For whatever reason, I feel like these forums are the best place to keep updating my computer situation.

As I am impatient and Xotic's customer support seems to have a "one e-mail per day" policy, I've decided to RMA my machine and swap it out for another one. Before I go through all of that, however, I'm going to try an ASUS restore and see if, by some miracle, it resolves any of my issues.

Fingers crossed.
15 REPLIES 15

dstrakele
Level 14
You could also try booting from a Linux LiveCD distro. If the video issue remains, it is most likely caused by hardware.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

AlanMcKinnon
Level 10
Well, it doesn't look like it worked. Oh well, at least now I know I've exhausted every option (that I'm willing to take).

Now to RMA.

rewben
Level 13
ok, can you please tell us what didn't work exactly? the restore part, or running a linux livecd?

maybe i'm missing something, but what's your problem again?

AlanMcKinnon
Level 10
It's a color gradient/graphics performance issue.

I've been posting about it sporadically for the past couple of weeks. dstrakele has been helping me out regularly.

rewben
Level 13
ah no wonder i couldn't find anything about a actual problem in this one. sorry about that 😄

yes, dstrakele is resourceful 🙂

AlanMcKinnon
Level 10
Pretty convinced I have a faulty GPU at this point. And super-frustrated that I forgot to backup my notes for school before I restored... Dumb mistake on my part.

Anyhow, this machine is an enigma. Running Nvidia's older 296.xx driver (the one that comes on the system), FIFA13 runs without a hitch at 60fps. Mass Effect 1, however, runs at 30fps (which I know is not where it should be) just sitting around the Normandy, no action at all.

Blah. The sooner this gets taken care of, the better. Unfortunately, RMAing is going to be a lengthy process, especially if they build a whole new machine for me...

Bundy_Drop_Bear
Level 9
They won't build a whole new maching they will simple replace your with a brand new one and send it back to you or they will replace the GPU like they have done with mine.
Mine has taken 3 weeks so far this coming Tuesday will be the forth week but they phoned me on Thursday to tell me they had the part and had arrived and they were going to install it and test it then they would send it out on Friday.
Alas it either took longer to test or something else happend as it didn't arrive on Friday.

Any way Good luck with having a smooth RMA process.

AlanMcKinnon
Level 10
I'm assuming yours is through ASUS? My RMA will be through Xotic PC, and I've had a few of their mods installed on my machine. That's why I'm curious if they'll simply try to replace whatever it is they think has gone wrong or if they'll just scrap it and build a new one.

Based on what I've heard about ASUS' RMA support, I'm glad I won't be dealing with them.

chrsplmr
Level 18
.. most of 'what you heard' was frustration of time lost.
For every one with an issue that can be pointed to .. there are many that went flawlessly.
That said .. Best of Luck ..

dstrakele is resourceful .. hahaha .. very .. and thats only half of it. No quit-All ROG.c.