cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 - Left Side USB ports

Yellow11
Level 8
I wonder if anybody else has experienced this.

I am having an issue with the left side USB ports on my G75.

At the moment the only USB 3.0 device I have is a Thermaltake dual drive dock. If I have that dock plugged directly into the rear-most, left side USB port, everything connects fine, windows sees all the partitions on the drives, I can navigate around the drives, play media files stored on them, copy a few files on and off them. But if I try to transfer a large amount of data, only a few hundred meg or so, or a few GB, after a few seconds the transfer stops and the drives drop of the system. Windows can`t see them anymore. The Superspeed light on the dock also goes out. I have to turn the dock of then on or disconnect and reconnect it.

The same thing happens when it is connected to the other left side connector. BUT, if I have it connected to any of the USB connectors on the right side it always works completely fine with no problems whatever.

I have not tried this with any other USB 3 devices, I`ll have to get another one, but the fact that it works fine on the other side seems to rule out the external hardware.

I recently installed a newer driver for the USB device, since then, when I have the drives connected to that side and attempt a large transfer, instead of the drives just dropping off the system, the transfer hangs, the light on the dock keeps flashing but no data is transferring.

I have heard that the chipset on this board only supports 2 USB 3,0 ports and that there is possibly another hardware vendor and thus possibly a different driver for half the ports on this system.

Anyone have any ideasÉ
15 REPLIES 15

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Sounds like a driver problem. Go into Device Manager and look at the USB devices. I have experienced exactly that on my G53SX which has a "pcie" based USB 3.0 port. I had connection problems with my USB 3.0 HDD for the longest time - it seems like they are finally clearing up. Can't tell you what I did, my only guess is a driver/Windows update. The connection issues you have with 300 MB copied->crash is exactly what I would get.

If there are two different USB 3.0 hosts on your machine (one Intel, one something else) that might explain things. I have none from Intel because my Sandybridge comp doesn't have native USB 3.0 support.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Clintlgm
Level 14
Here is a link to some earlier threads on USB 3.0 problems http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22503-USB-Fails. I found going through this myself that USB 3.0 is very sensitive to Cables I had a couple of brand new cables that were not function correctly. There is some issue with the Asus Charger Plus driver uninstalling it and reinstalling it solved some people problems. I personal had no issues at first other than bad cables. Then I set the charger plus to charge with the computer off. I charged my Garmin GPS overnight. Well after that I stared having all kinds of issues with the USB 3.0 and 2.0 there seems to be some issue with power to the USB ports. I installed the latest Intel Chipset drivers, Latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers. uninstalled the Asus Charger Plus program, and reinstalled it after a reboot. Problems solved. I haven't tried using the Charger Plus with the computer turned off. I don't really need that for anything presently. There are a couple of threads on this problem you'll find links to some of them in the link I gave you.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Yellow44
Level 7
Well, I tried updating the Chipset drivers, didn`t seem to work. Clint when you updated those drivers did it not change version numbers that showed up on Device managerÉ

Also I don`t think my particular cable is a problem. I tries two cables, same result, works good on right side, drives drop off on the left.

Hmmmm...

Check out this link on installing the Chipset drivers follow them exactly and you'll succeed installing the chipset drivers. USB 3.0 drivers have a different Switch The intel website has full instructions on installing. to install chip set divers see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19481-Intel-Chipset-Drivers-v9.3.0.1021&country=&status=
You could have a bad port does the forward port Left work?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Yellow44
Level 7
Yeah Clint. I already did exactly that and posted my results at the bottom of page 3 of that thread.

I`ll have to have a closer look at the Intel site.

The left side ports work fine in USB 2.0 mode, I`ve been using them in that mode all night, but my ext USB 3.0 drives won`t stay mounted in that mode. If I try a transfer to them, the transfer hangs, explorer hangs and the transfer light on the drive dock keeps flashing even after the transfer has hung up and no data is being transfered. The hanging during transfer only started after I updated the USB 3.0 drivers. Before that, the drives would just disappear, no hanging.

Actually I think the install routine is actually in the release note. Berryracers procedure has worked for many of us. Also have you uninstalled the Asus Charger plus program, reboot and reinstall it. That has also worked for some of us. Somewhere in earlier post it was discussed that power to the usb ports can be effected buy this driver?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

The charger utility can vary the amount of current supplied, I believe, though if your USB 3 HDD works in a USB 2 port, current sourcing isn't likely your problem. USB sources 500 mA (I believe) of max current. USB 3 sources 1 Amp. Only things like iPads need that much.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

I'm having the same issue that others have reported here.
My USB 3.0 ports on the left side of my G75VW are not seeing my drives or dropping out my WD USB 3.0 drives when they do.
I'm trying to install the latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers to see if that helps, but I can't seem to get them to upgrade my laptop.
Left side USB 2.0 devices are ok.
The ASUS support site was no help. All they said was backup everything and reinstall Win 8, geezzz, like anyone would want to do that as the first step to solving a problem.
Has anyone finally found the solution to this one?
Thanks, Bill

Well yes on the G75 VW, the charger Plus program is the problem. With our units that came out before the VX, Win 7 OS the Chipset drivers and the Intel USB 3.0 driver need to be updated. I currently have just left the charger plus uninstalled. On mine now most of the time the left side ports will work. However the right side ports hook up all the time.
I have also noticed that with many devices plugged in, even with a wall plug in Hub the power draw will cause disconnects. I can use 2 external hard drives and a thumb drive all running, plug in another device like another external hard drive and disconnects will occur. When this happen I just unplug everything, reboot and then reconnect not putting on that 3rd external hard drive no more problems.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro