cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Gene-Z MB USB 3.0 problems.

Nukemaster
Level 7
A bit over a year ago I setup a system with the following

Win7 HP 64-bit & Win8 64-bit Dev Preview for testing(Edited in)
Asus Maximus IV Gene-z
2600K with NH-D14 cooler
Seagate LP 2TB drive
1 WDC Black 2TB Later replaced with3 M4 SSD's(2x 256 1x 128. Not in raid)
1 Kingston V Series SSD(64Gig) Was for SRT, now has Win8 on it
1 Liteon Slimline DVD drive
5870 Video card. Running onboard(Intel HD 3000) while testing the system now.
2 sets of CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 @ 1333 9,9,9,24 Can not play this any safer.
HX850 Power supply
X-FI Titanium sound card(in x4 slot).
All in a SilverStone FT03

When I set the system up I used a 20-pin USB3 -> 2 x female USB adapter to run my front USB3(and keep the back ports free for other devices) ports and everything seemed to work fine.

Recently, I picked up a USB3 flash drive that will was having problems with disconnecting or dropping to USB2 mode. I just assumed my adapter was at fault(even touching the plugs seemed to cause issues, while the flash drive did seem to work on it) and picked up a proper 20-pin USB3 front panel(From SilverStone, its USB3 and Audio and replaces the stock setup) for my case. Figuring all my problems are now over. I installed the new connector and to my dismay, I had the drive dropping out from time to time when transferring files. My blu-ray reader could not even watch a movie over it on one port just disconnect reconnect again and again.

After this, SilverStone sent me another cable. Ok, this must be it? Nope one of the 2 ports falls to USB2 all the time. I take out my old 20-pin -> USB3 female and connect the flash drive to it and sure enough, one port just runs as usb 2 ALL the time.

I have looked at the connector on the board and it looks fine. I have not yet taken the board out to see if it has some kind of damage on the back, but it should not.

I have tried many different drivers from the stock CD ones, the latest on the Asus site and even one linked here on the forum.
asmedia_ASM104x_1144WHQL is what I have on here now with no difference.

Figuring maybe its a software issue(I had played with the USB 3.0 boost just in case it would help). I reboot into windows 8 to get the same thing.

I am currently running the latest BIOS version from the Asus site(3402).

What could the problem be. It has been over a month of waiting on cables and just using the rear ports, but now it seems like no cables will fix this. Is USB3 supposed to be this picky? The rear ports have always work perfect and never once dropped a drive that was not failing(old USB2 drive was failing and was dropped). This 20-pin has just not been fun at all.

I have no other systems with the 20 pin to test with unfortunately all my others just have 2 ports at the rear and usb2 on the front.

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
I am unable to test this for you as I am not doing Win8 support as yet, once the OS is retail then I guess I will, but right now I am staying away. Does the problem exist when running Win7 and are you able to test this if you have not as yet? A spare hard drive maybe?

Does sound like the motherboard but without testing the Win7 (known) I can not say with any conviction one way or another.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Yes, I am using Win7, Win8 was just to test.

I guess i should have made that more clear.

When i was was checking the board for physical damage(bent pins in the red connector or bad/damaged caps around it), just in case, I noticed that the section by ASmedia controller was very "dull" looking compared to the rest of the board.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SMD parts do not leak do they? Almost sure they do not and this is just excessive flux, Something I have never really seen on Asus products(the rest of the board looks quite clean). Was my board made on Friday? Any of the fluxes I personally use do conduct to some extent and USB3 seems to be very sensitive. Those look to be directly a part of the USB3 setup.

This looks like a good place to start.

If I connect a wired backlit keyboard to either of my front panel USB 3.0 ports it does not light up and it is not detected at all. I've inspected the header connection/pins (even looked inside the plug at the female pins) and the panel connection is hard wired. When plugged into any other MoBo port it works fine.
Question being, even if I didn't have the correct drivers, would it still light up/do anything at all?
EDIT: I uninstalled the ASmedia drivers and plugged in the keyboard. It did not light up and was not detected.
Question two: the Intel drivers for USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller from Asus site are what I need right?
Regardless of front I/O panel manufacturer?
When I try to install certain drivers other than Intel/ASmedia it says it can't...which is expected.
The only hardware test I can do is put in the OEM MoBo (pain in butt). I ordered a Uspeed USB HUB that will show up Saturday.
Secondary info: Using HP H9 Pheonix everything except MoBo and CPU.