ROG Member Array

Phoebus - Tribes:Ascend audio crackling/popping

Anyone else that plays the game experience this? Seems to mainly happen whenever someone uses the commands to issue speech comments for incoming/taunts etc. Trying to wonder if it might be due to drivers of if the card might be a litte defective.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array ..VeNoM..'s Avatar

What drivers you using? If you're not using the latest ones then please remove the current and install the latest. If this doesn't resolve the issue then is it possible to try the card in another slot (please remove drivers and install again when moving slot).

ROG Member Array

I'm using the latest beta drivers. Currently using the card in a pcie x16 2.0 slot, the furthest slot from my video card. Tried using the x1 slot however it created a humming noise in audio playback. Have tried it in other slots (also moved the video card around to compensate) but the problem still persists. Also did a fresh install of windows since something refused to play nice with Dolby Theater and refused to launch. The addition of getting Dolby up and running helped a little bit, but it is still there.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array ..VeNoM..'s Avatar

Does tribes have a user forum where you can check to see if it's a common issue?

ROG Member Array

I checked, nothing mentioning the issue I had. The slight crackling didnt exist with my old card(first-gen x-fi titanium). Another thing I noticed is the same crackling comes up at the start of some songs off youtube, however the same songs start off fine when played on Foobar2000. I'm leaning towards the drivers just needing more refinement at this point. I haven't heard any audio issues in Guild Wars 2 so far. Haven't tested other games yet since I had to reinstall windows 7 in order for Dolby to work.

I might try returning it to the pcie16 3.0 where the x-fi used to be, but I might wait for another driver revision before I do that due to the stubbornness dolby had prior to reinstalling windows.

I just hope if I do try to RMA the card it won't be much of a hassle. I know faulty hardware can sneak in once in a while.

I'll add some other hardware specs in case something might help

Motherboard: Asrock z77 extreme 6 (latest bios)
    Video Card: EVGA Geforce 570gtx factory OC
    CPU: Intel i5 3750k
    CPU cooler: Corsair h100
    PSU: raidmax 850w (Phoebus has its own power connection to the psu, not sharing with the gpu)
    headphones: Sennheiser hd598
    amp: fiio E09k
    Last edited by eman111; 09-18-2012 at 06:06 PM.