cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoebus Thoughts

Zig_Man3
Level 7
I have read through nearly every Phoebus post on this site and really want to pull the trigger on it for my Rampage Extreme IV build, but so far am reading about lots of issues. A sound card is the last piece of the puzzle in my build and I really want something quality for pretty much headphones only (DT990 Pro+Modmic) and nearly 100% gaming. Is anyone having success with this card? The mic buzz/hiss issue scares me and isn't acceptable for my purposes. I assume the BF3 issues are/will be fixed. My fall back is to go with the DGX + an amp, but really am hoping someone here can talk me into a Phoebus. Price isn't the concern here. . . . having something that works properly is. Thoughts?

Some have made mention of hardware vs. software issues with Phoebus. Is the general concensus among Phoebus owners that drivers will fix these issues or are there greater concerns?

Thanks for your help. . .
6 REPLIES 6

cutbuter4fmg
Level 7
I don't have issue playing BF3 with the driver. I'm coming from DG. It's a big improvement listening to movies soundtrack, gaming with my PC360. FYI, I'm 80% use headphone, I don't use any EQ or FX in driver, just pure sound from phoebus is good enough 😮

If you install it from a fresh windows install you shouldn't have any issues. I replaced the first gen x-fi titanium with this card, and for some reason dolby home theater would crash if i ever tried to launch it. Reinstalling windows made the drivers go in smoothly. I do have some slight popping in tribes but im wondering if its just that game. I currently play Guild Wars 2 a lot and it's fine. Music sounds fine too.

Once the drivers are completely ironed out, this card will be great I think.

And you're not having issues with excess noises/buzzing when using a microphone? I have two GTX580's that I have to fit the Phoebus in with and am concerned about proximity to these cards with the buzzing (seems like some folks are fixing it with moving away from GPU's). I would of thought the Phoebus would be better than others in this respect with its included sheilding, though. I don't have backup sound cards like others do to fall back on or test with - it would either be this card or the RIVE onboard sound from Realtek (huge difference from what I've read).

Thanks for the responses, I hope others will weigh in as well. . . . .

Raja
Level 13

Raja - Thanks for the reference/link. It looks like your test shed some light on what may be causing the mic hum on other systems.

So, it sounds like with some cable management and a quality mic this may become a non-issue.

dedaciai
Level 10
Hi Zig_Man3,

After the BF3 bug was fixed and a bug on my end (not related to the Phoebus) was fixed, I can say I am really liking my Phoebus. The sound quality is great during game play and with the different gain settings helps a lot since I like a little higher gain for my gaming but normal gain for movies and music.

I'll be honest, the Phoebus launch was rough and a little slow going, but after the bugs were worked out it is pure joy and I am happy with my purchase.
Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
Enermax 1350W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit