cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW starts up by itself

machaktom
Level 7
Hello,

I have bought G75VW laptop 10 day ago (i7-3610QM, 8GB RAM, GTX660M, 750GB SATA). I installed fresh Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 64bit and activated it and also installed Kubuntu 64-bit. I am using rEFInd for dual EFI boot, and I was sure that everything is going smoothly until I noticed that my laptop starts up by itself after shutdown after some time (usually at night). It happened two or three times and I am definitely sure that laptop was using shutdown (not sleep or hibernate). I still have to check if there is any pattern when laptop is starting up. Laptop is using WLAN (there is no ethernet cable inserted) and I did not find any Wake on Something options in BIOS. I did not play with any power management options. I installed free avast antivirus and only few basic softwares (everything legal).

I contacted ASUS service to tell them my problem and they did not know what is going on with my laptop. They suggested me to take laptop to service center to have a look at it and they could not specify the time they needed to determine what is the problem which is problem for me because I need it for everyday work.

I can always remove batery and plug off the cable and "solve" the problem but
I am kinda concerned that something can be seriously wrong with motherboard.

Maybe BIOS need to be flushed or updated.

Not sure what should I do next.

Is there any advice for this strange problem? Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

Shawnnepc
Level 13
Unplug the Power Adpt before turning the unit off.

Let me know if it still comes on.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:

I will try that tonight.
I forgot one thing to say. Battery was not in laptop when it started up by itself.

I've seen this issue before in other models (Z,K,N,B)

machaktom wrote:
I will try that tonight.
I forgot one thing to say. Battery was not in laptop when it started up by itself.
USA ASUS Reseller

Shawnnepc wrote:
I've seen this issue before in other models (Z,K,N,B)

ah.. i thought it was something else 😄

Shawnnepc wrote:

I left laptop last night with battery only ( power adapter was unplugged ), and it did not start up for more than eight hours (for the first time as I remember). I left it like this before I went to work. Also I want to try leaving laptop with battery and plugged power adapter because I did not use shutdown with this scenario.

I see that I am the only guy who have noticed this problem so it looks like it is not ASUS bug, it is something wrong with my laptop.

machaktom wrote:
I left laptop last night with battery only ( power adapter was unplugged ), and it did not start up for more than eight hours (for the first time as I remember). I left it like this before I went to work. Also I want to try leaving laptop with battery and plugged power adapter because I did not use shutdown with this scenario.

I see that I am the only guy who have noticed this problem so it looks like it is not ASUS bug, it is something wrong with my laptop.

One word:

G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

Ok, it looks like that ghosts/aliens behavior is happening only when battery is out of laptop. When battery is in laptop no matter if it is power adapter plugged in or it is not, everything is perfect.

What about you guys? Am I only guy keeping battery out of laptop when battery is not used for week or more.

I would see if you can get a Power Adpt sent to you for testing. See if someone at ASUS can offer you a advanced replacement RMA.

If that resolves the issue then it's more than likely that there's bad caps in the AC Adpt.

If the issue still exists after testing the new ac adpt then I would RMA the unit to ASUS.

Try contacting cl-scott and see if he can't help you through the RMA process

machaktom wrote:

USA ASUS Reseller

Like I said, from the moment I had inserted battery problems disappeared. I will have to test laptop outside of my apartment because I have already had problems with electricity. Also I will try to test/replace power adapter.
About RMA I will wait for some time because issue I encountered is really harmless for now and I really depend on this laptop. Laptop is under warranty so if something really goes wrong I will have to take laptop to service center anyway. I really believe that is not going to happen.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks guys