cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH-A1 Crashing Issue

Retired
Not applicable
I purchased my G73JH about 8 months ago, and have been loving it.

About 2 weeks ago my computer began to lock up (no response, frozen screen, fans on full blast), and required a hard reset. After determining the problem to be associated with Steam, I uninstalled it.

Now, normally this wouldn't be a problem, however more than half my games are on Steam, and it is simply not an option to go out and purchase those once more.

At the time of the system locking up, I was running with the 209 BIOS, and my GPU was Flashed to prevent GSOD. I double checked to ensure it wasn't a software conflict, and found that the day that steam started to cause lockups, it also attempted to update (which subsequently caused it to crash), and my computer had been getting windows updates as well.

Now the weirdest thing was, in safe mode steam would run fine, as long as I had a network connection it would function in safe mode, and update. As soon as I booted back to normal windows 7, it attempted to update again, and as soon as it reached 80% the system would lock up. When this started to occur, my windows updates also began to fail, locking up at 0% and failing, or timing out.

I re-booted in safe mode once more to try to uninstall steam, but I get the error message: "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed"

I finally managed to uninstall steam from regular windows, but I was left with many crashing problems and issues.

Most of these issues have been fixed by updating to BIOS 213, and the GPU OD Vflash, but upon attempting to re-install steam this morning, I was met with another lock up.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong here, but could someone please help?

thanks,

Eagle
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
Look in the event logs...anything there?

If you're still using stock audio driver packages then Steam can definitely crash the G73JH. Known issue. Just install the latest driver from Realtek (or Chastity's drivers page) and that fixes that issue.

If a Steam-related crash occurred during a Windows update then your OS install could be trashed at this point...Windows installer service not working could be a sign of damage, but I don't know if it's even supposed to work in safe mode.

xeromist
In regard to the Windows Update problem I would recommend that you try clearing the cache. There is a section explaining how to do that in this KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193385
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I'll give both of those a shot. Thanks for the quick reply.

Retired
Not applicable
What Catalyst are you running?

I've been experiencing occasional lockups myself lately. It happens for me in either Windows or Ubuntu Linux (where I spend most of my time), and always when the screensaver is running. Since I am using the same Catalyst version in both Windows and Linux, and since it happens in screensaver and (though I have never been able to confirm this for certain) as the system is trying to put the display to sleep, I suspect either the Catalyst is the problem, or the vBIOS (I'm running the GSOD-fixed vBIOS, v012.020.000.032.038352) cannot properly handle ACPI events consistently.

I'm actually hoping someone could shed some light on this.