cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-screens; Worth it?

8Teen
Level 7
Hey, I've been doing some digging into multi-screen displays - just coz I think they look kinda cool, But I'm not sure how useful they actually ARE.

Anyone got any information on this kinda thing? Strengths/weaknesses etc And anywhere I could start looking for some cool setups?

I'ma keep researching and I'll post updates on my search if there's any interest 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

What graphics card(s) do you have?

Aha, cheers

At the moment, i'm using the 'ASUS NVIDIA GTX550 TI PCI-E Graphics Card - 1GB'

I've been looking into bundles for the kinda of thing im looking for; and i've come across these two: www.digitalega.com/ annd www.digitaltigers.com/

from those, i'd probably rather go with the EGA one beacuse p&p is better for me, d'you reckon i'm on the right lines at all? 😛

Zka17
Level 16
With that graphics card you have, I doubt it would worth to invest in a multi-monitor system... You should ask those companies, after you selected a system, what size and how many graphics cards they suggest...

Also, here on this Forum, you can find people with multi-monitor systems... if you're going in the "General Discussion" section and look for "Show off your desktop" and similar threads, you can contact those people to tell you about the advantage and disadvantage of multiple monitors...

But, first of all, you have to decide for what you're gonna use your system...

Zka pretty much covered it but I have a decent setup with a 560Ti and I can't even run dual moniters without it overheating the VGA. You need a pretty powerful system, preferably with an SLi or Crossfire setup to run 8 moniters :X

cl-scott
Level 12
Multi-monitor gaming I would say is really only worth it for the most hardcore of gamers among us. In a more general sense... I like to have two monitors so that one can be used for things that are generally static... IM window, email program, and a monitoring program or two. I can just glance over and see whether or not I want to respond to an IM/email or whatever else. But I can, and have recently, been able to revert back to using only a single monitor without too much trouble. For me, the biggest issue is the space the two monitors take up. So far no one has yet created a magical display that is both large and takes up no space on a desk or other surface.

cl-scott wrote:
Multi-monitor gaming I would say is really only worth it for the most hardcore of gamers among us. In a more general sense... I like to have two monitors so that one can be used for things that are generally static... IM window, email program, and a monitoring program or two. I can just glance over and see whether or not I want to respond to an IM/email or whatever else. But I can, and have recently, been able to revert back to using only a single monitor without too much trouble. For me, the biggest issue is the space the two monitors take up. So far no one has yet created a magical display that is both large and takes up no space on a desk or other surface.

Well said! I wouldn't even classify it for as a product for hardcore gamers but it's more less a novelty item for fun in say... a man cave :cool: 2 Moniters is the best IMO as well, allows proactive multitasking as Scott had mentioned. Don't bother with a multi moniter display unless you really want it to show it off for fun. If you decide to do it though, you should definitely consult on here or another tech related forum as to what specifications you'll your comp to be up to in order to support that amount of display 🙂

Granger
Level 10
I'm on a 3 monitor set up (one 22" and two 19.5")
The fact that they are different sizes mean that it is crap for eyefinity.
But what it is good at, is having a browser on one screen (I play Die2nite and Ogame browser games) monitoring software on second screen (my rig is slightly OC'ed so I like to keep an eye on temps) and Steam friends list/Skype. And game or film on main screen.

Saying that, my first multi screen (dual) I did with a Sappire HD 3870 1Gb, I then pushed to 3 screens when I changed cards and bought a 6870 (need an active display port adapteur to do this)
That only pushed the card when I tried gaming on all 3 screens, but even then, there was a lot of room for more until BF3 hit my rig.
Now I'm running two 6870's crossfired and they seem to handle all that I throw at them 🙂

Yeah, I mean.. it's all preference, you are making good use out of the 3 moniters but could you make do with 2? probably ^^ as long as your GPU isnt stressing, awesome!

Jstn wrote:
Yeah, I mean.. it's all preference, you are making good use out of the 3 moniters but could you make do with 2?

Not for widescreen gaming because that means I have a bezel right smack in the middle of the game. The two configurations are really for different use cases. If you have the game on one monitor and other programs on the second then that's useful as well, but in a different way.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…