cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalling Crysis for new GTX 670 FTW!

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Eeeehhh I love being my own Santa Clause all year round! My sexy new GTX 670 FTW is coming to day to retire my reliable 570 SC after nearly a year since building this system. To answer the infamous question of "Can it run Crysis" I'm dying to find out the answer to a tweaked version of that question "How much better does it run Crysis?"

I remember back nearly 5 years ago when Crysis came out and it was basically destroying all but the highest end machines and my BFG 6800GT begged for its silicon mommy when I tried to run the demo on my then still somewhat awesome Athlon 64 3700+ setup. Needless to say, Crysis made me and my machine feel like little worthless ****s lol!

A year later, I had my awesome Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 with a GTX 260 and tried it again. This time I could actually semi play the game beyond a pretty slide show but having to crank down the settings to be able to shoot in a firefight worth a damn made baby Jesus cry, so I gave up once again playing the game and it went back on the shelf to collect dust until the next "era" of gaming hardware.

Last year, I built my current setup with a uber 570 SC and attempted to give it a 3rd try in actually being able to play through the game and find out what the storyline was and actually be able to have eye candy and decent framerates. Thanks to my 570 SC, 4 years after the game launch, I was finally able to play Crysis's single player and be able to enjoy the visual treat fest with fairly decent 30-40fps rates with all eye candy turned on except AA at 1920x1200. Whoo, the game was freaking fun! But, I still wanted to experience the game with even fewer drops into the 20fps range during big fire fights and no matter what I tweaked, it just wasn't enough.

Now with a sexy new 670 FTW coming today from the lovely Brown truck, I'm totally excited to run some benchmark tests on my 570 SC before I retire it and then see the difference of the powa of Kepler at my hands, can't freaking wait!!

6 REPLIES 6

speed
Level 12
Not a fan of nvidia, but your cat is awesome.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

LeviathanPT
Level 10
Fan of NVidia and your cat! But in my opinion you should have bought a second 570GTX and go SLI:p

Well after after burning some midnight oil last night, I got a nice comparison from splurging on this GTX 670 FTW and im pretty dang happy! Not to mention the card is pretty sexa and will look even better when I get the backplate on!

To make it easier to do a comparison, I decided to go back again to use the old Guru3D crysis benchmark utility to compare the cards. Its old, but I haven't found one that make it easier to use Crysis to benchmark GPU's and tweak settings easily. http://downloads.guru3d.c...1791.html. I setup the cards using the same test parameters for the GPUbenchmark built into Crysis and the Assault benchmark. The 570 SC was running at 850/1700/1990 with stock voltage as I have had it for the past year. The new GTX 670 FTW was running its stock clock rates, frame limit and adaptive vysnc off. The 670 FTW was on nvidias 306.26 drivers and the 570 SC were on the 301.42 drivers as it didn't like the new 306.26's for what ever reason, it had texture glitches in crysis.

I had the cards set at 1600x1200 as the Guru3d didn't allow me to have a setting for 1920x1200 for whatever reason, so I made the best of it. I ran the Crysis game with the latest 1.21 patch and no mods or tweaks to it. VSYNC was disabled and all settings were at VERY HIGH. AA was turned off as I never use it in my games anyway. I ran both tests in 32 and 64bit mode in DX 10 and ran each test twice to verify the VRAM in the GPU's were fully loaded and I got better results after the second test, running a 3rd test didn't show any improvements. I then put in the average resulting framerates into excel and came with these results.

Well after after burning some midnight oil last night, I got a nice comparison from splurging on this GTX 670 FTW and im pretty dang happy! Not to mention the card is pretty sexa and will look even better when I get the backplate on!

To make it easier to do a comparison, I decided to go back again to use the old Guru3D crysis benchmark utility to compare the cards. Its old, but I haven't found one that make it easier to use Crysis to benchmark GPU's and tweak settings easily. http://downloads.guru3d.c...1791.html. I setup the cards using the same test parameters for the GPUbenchmark built into Crysis and the Assault benchmark. The 570 SC was running at 850/1700/1990 with stock voltage as I have had it for the past year. The new GTX 670 FTW was running its stock clock rates, frame limit and adaptive vysnc off. The 670 FTW was on nvidias 306.26 drivers and the 570 SC were on the 301.42 drivers as it didn't like the new 306.26's for what ever reason, it had texture glitches in crysis.

I had the cards set at 1600x1200 as the Guru3d didn't allow me to have a setting for 1920x1200 for whatever reason, so I made the best of it. I ran the Crysis game with the latest 1.21 patch and no mods or tweaks to it. VSYNC was disabled and all settings were at VERY HIGH. AA was turned off as I never use it in my games anyway. I ran both tests in 32 and 64bit mode in DX 10 and ran each test twice to verify the VRAM in the GPU's were fully loaded and I got better results after the second test, running a 3rd test didn't show any improvements. I then put in the average resulting framerates into excel and came with these results.

1ceTr0n
Level 11
I run a mATX setup so SLI isn't really an option and I don't feel like shelling out money for another card AND a new PSU

Dicehunter
Level 10
didnt you post this on the EVGA forums aswell ? ^^
Nice benches though 🙂