cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Forumla BSOD at Windows Startup

Haximus
Level 7
I have been tearing my hair out for 24 hours now and Im ready to cry.
I will try to give you as much info as possible.

I purchased a brand new ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard, as well as a brand new i7 3770k Processor and Corsair Vengeance 32 GB package ( 4 x 8 ) 1866mhz Ram

I put this system together with an OCZ Agility III 120 GB SSD, OCZ 1000W 80+ Gold PSU, Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler, Galaxy Gtx 580, in a HAF Advanced Full tower.

Right from setup in the bios I tried setting XMP for my XMP compatible memory, so I could run at 1866mhz. The pc instantly rebooted giving me a message saying that the overclock failed, please press F1 yadda yadda. I kept CPU on stock clock, and I ended up having to use stock settings for my ram, which meant I could run all 4 sticks, but at 1333mhz. Not a big deal to me.

I fresh installed windows 7, got all of my drivers/utilities installed, and started gaming hard for about 4 or 5 hours.
All of a sudden, in the middle of playing a game, I got a BSOD.

I attempted to reboot the PC and continue windows normally. As soon as the windows loading screen appeared, I blue screen again. When I attempted to boot in Safe mode, blue screen in the same spot. WHen I try to boot my windows 7 recovery disk, I BSOD as soon as the files load.
Every ONCE in a while, if I boot in safe mode, I actually make it fully into windows, where it tells me how windows has recovered from an error, it also provides two log file locations, however I can never even locate them before my PC BSOD again.
ONCE in a while, if I boot windows normally, It will make it as far as the logon screen where I type my password, but BSOD as soon as I do.

If I try to run Memtest 86, My pc reboots immediately as the test starts.
I have tried everything I could find on google.

I have tried 1 stick of ram, 2 sticks of ram, in this slot, that slot. I have tried a different PCI video card, I have tried my GTX in a different PCI slot, I have tried 4 sticks of the Corsair Vengeance 1333mhz ( 4 x 4 ) 16gb (A completely different set of ram that worked just fine before). I have tried changing the sata port connecting my SSD to the mobo.

I have updated my BIOS to the latest version 0804.
I have tried using XMP with the 32GB ram set, profile 1.
I have tried manually changing DRAM voltage to 1.6, I have tried optimized defaults (F5)
I have tried changing my Sata from ACHI TO RAID AND IDE

Most common BSOD error I get is 0x000000124
Theres no way my memory can be bad, I know its not my Video card, and I know its not my PSU.
And like I said, every once in a while this thing will boot into windows safe mode, I see all my files there, obviously my graphics card is working cuz Im still getting a display.

I dont know what else to do from here. I have even tried cleaning my processor and watercooler heatsink and replacing the thermal heatsink paste. Please help 😞
14 REPLIES 14

Haximus
Level 7
Update-

Well, after researching more, I thought that maybe I needed to upgrade the firmware of my OCZ Agility SSD. Which I did using their new bootable disc flasher. However that did not fix my problem.

At this point considering I know its not my SSD, Graphics card, or processor, and the fact that 2 different sets of ram did not fix the issue, I have decided to RMA my motherboard, hopefully 3rd time is the charm.

sangzeel
Level 7
Was thinking that SSD was causing the problem.-(
AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X | TUF B450M-PRO GAMING | MSI CORE FROZR L Cooler | VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit — Black | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Founders Edition | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Intel 520 SSD 120GB | WD Black SATA III 2TB, WD Black SATA III 1TB | LG 27UK650, Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Bose Companion 2 Series III | Xbox One HS | Corsair AX850 | Corsair Obsidian 350D | CORSAIR K55 RGB | Logitech G300S (QCK) | Windows 10 Pro (OEM)

Raja
Level 13
What's the part number of that memory kit?

Your issues are most likely DRAM related. A quick and easy debug is to run one module only and see if the system still BSODs at stock settings. If it does not, then there's an issue with DRAM settings or the modules.

apocalypzez
Level 10
Have you double checked your bios if there's is any negative offset by mistake
ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

Ok So I got my replacement motherboard, and atleast some of the features are working, unlike the last one (Error Code LED onm the MOBO, and Sata ports)

However, I am still BSOD exactly like before, sometimes I actually make it into windows and it BSOD shortly after. I dont know what to do at this point. I have tried other ram, I have tried a different HDD, I have tried Safe Erasing my SSD and fresh installing windows. At this point I dont know what else to do? Bad 3770K? I really think thats highly unlikely, maybe my PSU is bad? But I can actually boot into windows sometimes, and everything powers up. What is going on here 😞

Nackers
Level 15
You are really having a hard time of it mate.. it may be a overheat, I see that you have tried replacing the heatsink paste, have you tried just using a standard intel heatsink. This is a bit of a noob question but have you check to see that only the MoBo offset mounting that line up with the holes on the board are being used,, what Windows 7 are you using ?

Just found this about the BSOD code

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-blue-screen-error-stop0x...
QUOTE:
Check your display manager (the screen that shows your monitor, the resolution, identifies multiple monitors, etc.)
Make sure none of your brand name monitors are recognized as "generic monitor", or "non-generic monitor". If it is a brand name, then it should be recognized as such.
If it shows "generic" or "non-generic" instead of your actual brand, then turn off computer, unplug power cord. ALSO, UNPLUG the POWER CORD of the MONITOR not correctly recognized for about 2 minutes to allow the capacitors to drain.
Replug and restart. Check to see the monitor is correctly recognized.
(Of course, also download the correct drivers of the correctly recognized monitors.)

danskieness
Level 10
i have red your wall of text, since all of your hardware are quite on good condition as you said, i came to some conclusions, hope i can be of any help

1) have you tried updating the bios of your mobo? maybe it'll work out, it that doesn't help it its definitely the OS i suppose.
2) try formatting using a different os
Mobo : Asus Maximus VI Impact || CPU : i5-4670k || Cooling : H100
GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || PSU : Corsair RM 650 || Rams : G Skill Trident X 4GBx2 2400 CL10
Monitor : 2x Asus VX239h + 1x HP w2207h || Chassis : Bitfenix Prodigy Red || OS : WIN8.1 x64
Periphirals : Corsair K95, Logitech g402, Edifier 3350

Yes, I have use all of the gold mobo mounts, and thats how its mounted. I am running windows 7 Ultimate x64.

My motherboard Bios is the latest bios available
I have not tried using a differnt OS, however when i boot from a linux cd, pc is completely stable.

I can attempt to check the device adapters... but on the slim chance I actually do boot into windows before I blue screen, actually getting to that information is even more of a challenge because Im probably about to blue screen 😛

Also, I have not tried using the heatsink that came with the processor, funny you said that cuz I was about to try it. I have been using the Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler

There is also a good possiblity that what the Formula V's bios settings think are right for my voltages and stuff are wrong. I have absolutely no knowledge of how to set my voltages for what, ram timings etc. I have been using the mobos bios default settings and profiles to try to get it to work. I have read the forum post about all these different features in the mobo bios, but its chinese to me and regardless it doesnt help me figure out what settings to use. 😞