cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 RAID capable - what's the point ???

ggBanks
Level 10
Hello everyone,

Back at the time when I bought my ROG machine (like 3 months ago) the first job for me was to update the BIOS. That was the time I noticed that the laptop supports RAID 0, but I guess its just now that I remembered that I haven't found an answer o that question and decided to write here. So what do you think? What the heck is the use of RAID 0 since the G55 has only one HDD bay in the chassis?
19 REPLIES 19

bignazpwns
Level 11
You can drop the optical drive out and get a caddy and slap a drive in there. That's 2 drives.

ggBanks
Level 10
Yes but what happens when you need to install some games or a windows maybe? Then you are pretty much screwed because you have to disassemble everything and since both drives will be running RAID 0 then you can't just remove the HDD caddy put the optical back, install the things on the primary HDD and then swap the optical drive again with the second HDD. You can't use RAID 0 since it required both HDDs at the same time. It just looses its point!

bignazpwns
Level 11
USB optical drives..

Also for RAID0 to work you need to have both drives running or the array will fail. And pulling out the optical drive is nothing one screw pop the bottom cover off then take out the optical drive screw and it slides out. Stuff the caddy with the drive in put the screw in and put the cover back on. Total its a 5 min job at most.

SSD's in RAID0 are nice on the G55's/G75's im getting 1071.2 mb/s reads 1015.5 mb/s writes. Burst to over 2,200 mb/s

ggBanks
Level 10
Yes OK lets say that I will be comfortable with the 5 min switching, but since the drives need to be working at the same time if they are at RAID 0 and if I want to re-install my Windows from a genuine disc that I have. Then what??? I can't do it because if I get the optical drive in, the primary HDD wont work since it needs the second one, and I can't install my windows. Or for example I can say the same with some games I have on disks, I can't install them too. Maybe buying an external optical drive will work, but that is just stupid!

ggBanks
Level 10
Ok didn't see the first line of your last post. But still external optical drive, who uses these things 😄 its like having a floppy disk drive on your stationary PC

ggBanks wrote:
Ok didn't see the first line of your last post. But still external optical drive, who uses these things 😄 its like having a floppy disk drive on your stationary PC

Then install it from a USB thumb drive. You do know netbooks don't have optical drives and people have been installing OS's on them through USB thumb drives, right?

bignazpwns
Level 11
who uses cd roms? I used it one time to install windows. Everything else is a digital download.

bignazpwns
Level 11
Yeah then why even post this? At first you cant live without your cd rom now your all pro installing from flash drives. Make up your your mind.

bignazpwns wrote:
Yeah then why even post this? At first you cant live without your cd rom now your all pro installing from flash drives. Make up your your mind.

Wrong person, I'm not the OP... lol