cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who was that guy spreading false rumors about needing SP1 Windows 7 OS Fresh Install

colpolite
Level 9
to work on a fresh install?

And it is not true. I didn't need a SP1 version of it on my G55VW-RS71. Removed original hdd, pop in brand new crucial m4 ssd, made sure bios have dvd drive to be 1st priorty, booted from the burned windows 7 none sp1 version and installed windows 7 64 home premium in less than 15 min, (i downloaded all mandatory asus drivers before doin this) and saved it on an external usb and installed all that plus all windows update and service pack 1 and was 100% up and running in less than 2 hours since installing the ssd.

Result from Fresh Clean Install vs Asus Factory Preload Version loaded w/ bloatwares

Asus Preload Version
Task Manager - 104 processes

Clean Fresh Install w/ necessary windows updates including sp1 and necessary asus drivers (nvidia driver, chipset, usb3, card reader, wlan, ethernet, bluetooth, touchpad, atk, intel management etc..)
Task Manager - 66 processes
10 REPLIES 10

pROGammer
Level 7
I can confirm that Windows 7 SP1 is not required to install Windows (my machine came with FreeDOS).
Perhaps SP1 is required to install Windows in UEFI mode? This would mean that you and I installed Windows in BIOS mode. Are we missing something?
From cold boot to responsive desktop < 25 sec, with the Seagate 750 GB Hybrid drive (ST750LX003-1AC154).
More memory is more.
SSD means Super-Sonic Disc.
Thunderbolt is awesome and then some.
Ergonomics: feel is more important than looks.

pROGammer wrote:
Perhaps SP1 is required to install Windows in UEFI mode?

From what I can remember from the posts of old regarding the need to use SP1 to install, that is indeed the case. SP1 needed to install in UEFI mode.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

pROGammer wrote:
I can confirm that Windows 7 SP1 is not required to install Windows (my machine came with FreeDOS).
Perhaps SP1 is required to install Windows in UEFI mode? This would mean that you and I installed Windows in BIOS mode. Are we missing something?
From cold boot to responsive desktop < 25 sec, with the Seagate 750 GB Hybrid drive (ST750LX003-1AC154).

I did a clean install of Win7 without "SP1" with UEFI enabled in BIOS, installed okay wihout a problem.
make sure you turn off "windows update service" before you install drivers from the Asus drivers disk.
just uncheck all the "bloatware", and just install all necessary drivers and you should be good to go.
then turn on Windows update and install all updates, including SP1, you may need to use the "SP1 readiness tool" in order for SP1 to install correctly.

Readiness Tool download
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

ngek202
Level 7
I could confirm this too no need for SP1

rewben
Level 13
actually it is still valid, because the stock disk is a GPT disk. when people try to install windows to the GPT disk, they need UEFI to make the installation work. you need windows 7 sp1 for that.

if you have a fresh disk, the windows 7 install disk will make it an MBR disk by default and install the OS via BIOS mode, not UEFI mode.

pROGammer
Level 7
What are the benefits/downsides of using UEFI?
More memory is more.
SSD means Super-Sonic Disc.
Thunderbolt is awesome and then some.
Ergonomics: feel is more important than looks.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
colpolite wrote:
to work on a fresh install?

To recover a system using Windows 7 system image on external drive you definitely need an SP1 install disk. Making a recovery disk using windows utility creates a recovery disk that does not work to do the recovery with. Unless you ( possibly ... not tested by me ) screw around with what kind of default partition is used ... it definitely does not work.

Why don't you fully document and post what you have been able to do ... step by step ... with screenshots all the way ... and contribute here in some kind of significant manner.

Claiming that someone who is posting content here with good intentions is "spreading false rumors" is kind of inflammatory and rude and tacky ... in my opinion.

chrsplmr
Level 18
CoPolite .. Welcome to ROG.

Seek and ye shall find. Better to frame/pose a Thread as a question ..
Is it .. ect .. ?

why yes .. yes it is .. and above is why .. Great Thread - good 'question' .0h,sorry.imho.c.

madnj
Level 9
Here are some of the benefits of UEFI, and I've gotten Windows 8 running with UEFI on a brand new Seagate Momentus XT disk. One difference i see is that the boot screen is different (I get the ROG icon when booting instead of the standard Windows icon), and frankly anything that gives me faster boot is a plus.

Here's what I found on another site:

Enterprise management: Thanks to support for third party drivers and applications, your IT staff can remotely manage systems equipped with UEFI without booting into Windows or any other OS! This enables you to have a common infrastructure for managing computers across your entire network. Obviously, this is a money saver: Imagine fixing computers by remotely turning them on and running UEFI troubleshooting tools or restoring the image from a backup server. It essentially eliminates the need for the classic “system DVD.”
Pre-OS and network security: UEFI’s enhanced networking API allows for a rich network authentication (log-on) in a pre-boot environment. Also, it offers support for TPM and and authenticode signatures. It’s simply an additional layer of security.
UEFI is “OS-like:” By default, you have full access to the entire hardware of your computer – Ethernet adapter, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, graphics card, USB, even the audio chip, as well as full blown x86 and x64 support. This enables not only high-resolution UIs, but highly functional pre-boot environments. HP put its System Diagnostics tool (written specifically for UEFI) on laptops and desktops starting in mid-2008.

MSI puts ClickBios on its board, a UEFI environment with some basic maintenance, diagnostics and Instant-On environments (for gaming, multimedia etc.). Unfortunately, that MSI mainboard – based on the P45 chipset – has been discontinued.

Note, these interfaces aren’t mandatory. Some manufacturers may build beautiful UIs in their UEFI environment; some may just skip the UI aspect entirely.
Faster boot and resume times: UEFI handles devices initialization within seconds. This increases IT staff productivity (and user impatience), especially if your business requires rebooting or going in and out of hibernation a lot.
Support for HDDs with more than 2.1 TBytes: UEFI solves this problem by introducing the newer partition table called GUID (global unique identifier), which is finally capable to address more than 2 terabytes of storage. Bottom line: If your business revolves around having huge amounts of data on your PC client, investing in UEFI-capable hardware is a no-brainer.
Specialized UEFI applications: Without the need to boot into an OS, your IT workers could have fast access to their important data – providing that either your IT department or the OEM implements the add-in (see below). Possible scenario: Your staff can quickly glance at their Outlook e-mails or calendars without booting up the notebook. UEFI and its applications are on-screen within seconds.