cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme Z BIOS problem?

durandal
Level 7
So I built a new rig with a M4EZ and a i7 3770k and was having problems getting to POST. After I updated the BIOS I could get it to post. When it says to hit del to enter the bios, it won't accept my keystrokes and then says no hard drive detected and restarts. I don't know if this is a problem with my USB drivers or a BIOS problem, any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

chevy350
Level 10
Have you tried using another keyboard? I had an issue with a keyboard before not detecting on boot, tried a spare I had laying around and it got me into bios just fine.
AMD 2700X, Asus ROG Strix X470-F, G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (16gbx2), XFX RX 580, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair 750D, SeaSonic 860W, OCZ RD400, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb, Intel 520 120Gb SSD

I tried another one, but both were gaming keyboards. Was the one that worked for you an old PS/2 keyboard? Ignore the post title, was a mistake.

Jim-M4EZ
Level 7
Which of the rear panel USB ports do you have the keyboard plugged into ?
... would assume you have tried different USB ports.
The make & model of the keyboard "might" help here.

Would assume you used USB Bios Flashback to update to the 3xxx Series bios for the i7-3770K (if brand new build) ...
... after power on, did the keyboard work at the F1 screen ? ... "F1 into Bios" prompt ...
... which of the 3xxx bios versions are you running.

What type of hard drive, & plugged into where on your M4EZ ...
- M4EZ - 1: 3510 - 2: 1004 / i7-2600K / Redline 2133 16GB / Win7 Pro x64
- v.3510 / 8.0.0.1351 - v.8.1.0.1263 / 10.8.0.1303 - v.11.2.0.1006
- RevoDrive3x2 240GB - OS / Vector 256GB x2 RAID0 - OS / Vertex3 MI 120GB - OS / P'9230 3.0 2TB - B/U
- 9260-8i BBU - CacheCade Pro Vertex3 120GBx2 RAID0 SSD Caching - Const ES SAS RAID10 GHS - Data
- GTX580 3GB HC2 / Xonar Essence STX / ST1200G / TJ10B-W / ZR30w / SP 2500 2.1
- Water: Swiftech/Koolance/Tygon/EVGA/MIPS - Wind: SST/Noctua/Cougar

I tried all the USB ports with too different USB keyboards and a PS/2 adapter. I flashed the BIOS with a thumb drive and tried the 3 latest BIOS versions, I think they were 3501, 3202, 3204? The prompt to enter the BIOS said "del" on the POST screen, unless it is supposed to be F1, I didn't try that key.

When I do a cold boot, it beeps once which according to the manual means everything is good except keyboard not detected and quick boot disabled. Probably need to find an old keyboard.

The make of keyboards were a logitech g15 and a mionix mechanical.

The hard drives I tried were a crucial ssd and a wd 1T drive, one at a time with sata 3g and 6g.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please use the del key on the numeric keypad. That works for me.

And if you have a USB device plugged in the defaults for BIOS is to look there for OS. Might be the reason your HDD are not being actioned as primary boot device.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

After my keyboard fails to get me into the bios it reboots and gives me code 55. Could this be a shorted or warped board. Are shorted or warped boards fixable?

kittendoggie
Level 9
A few months ago I updated the Bios of a P8Z68-v pro and although everything went well it wouldn't boot from an ssd. It would only boot from a bootable USB device. I had to reprogram my Bios chip externally for the mobo to work. I am trying to say that although a bios flash might have finished successfully, there might be problems such as the ones you are describing.

regards

That might be the case with me because the BIOS appears to have been updated but when it says no hard drive detected at post, it says my BIOS is version 1.xxxxx when I indeed flashed it to 3xxx. What do you mean you had to flash it externally to get your mobo to work. I thought the way I was doing it with the ROG usb port was external.