cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G55 Optical Drive Failiure

ROG_Steve
Level 7
Hello I was wondering if anybody can help find out what's wrong with my optical drive. It wont read my discs, when I put one in it says no disc detected and it pops the drive open again because it thinks there isnt a disc installed. If anybody can help me that would be great because I really want to get Guild Wars 2 installed already before the weekend ends 😕
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Are you certain you didn't disable the ODD in Power4Gear?

If so, try the UpperFilters/LowerFilters registry edit or cleaning the laser lenses.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ODD is enabled and the lense is cleaned all it is is that the optical drive doesnt think there is a disc inside when I put one in 😕

dstrakele
Level 14
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12506-slimtype-bd-e-ds4e1s-WILL-NOT-READ-ANY-MEDIA&highligh... offers some other things you can try, but you might also consider contacting your retailer to see if you can exchange your defective laptop for a new one.

I'd do it myself i have a laptop optical drive from my old laptop. The problem is it would void the warrenty if i did that so i might have to take it to bestbuy then 😕

dstrakele
Level 14
Where did you read installing an ODD would void the Warranty?

Isnt opening the laptop and replacing a certain component voiding the warrenty? I mean if you opened up the keyboard to put an msata slot voids the warrenty.

dstrakele
Level 14
Not necessarily... You can put a new HDD or RAM chip in the laptop without voiding the Warranty. Installing a new ODD is a remove screw, pull out and unplug ODD, and replace procedure.

You can test your problematic ODD in another computer if you wish.

Hi, after reading all the forums and fixes nothing worked. Removed drive, cleaned, deleted registry keys and upgraded the firmware.

Found the asus downlaods here: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G74Sx&p=3&s=336&os=30&hashedid=LUFmeP8fwFruEdH7

and under Utilities I downloaded and installed:

ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities

KB Filter Driver

and my drive works flawlessly now. Not sure which one you need or if you need both but I hope this helps

Please let me know if it worked for you too.

Pitcher1
Level 9
Check you HW.