cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Black Screen on boot right after windows animation help please. G74sx

Arvizu360
Level 7
Hello there guys,
I have been recently getting a long black screen usually around 30-40 seconds right after the windows boot animation with the windows logo. Right after that animation my screen goes black for around 40 seconds then it makes the welcome to windows sound and the password window pops. It usually happens only after a shutdow. sleep seems to be ok. i have the latest drivers from Nvidia. 306 i believe. any help?
5 REPLIES 5

Typesh86
Level 7
I had the SAME exact problem. The thread is somewhere on here. The only thing that worked was backtracking the nvidia drivers, but that made me lose FPS on games so I just had to deal with it. Do you have an SSD? I didn't and that could also help with the boot time.

kimiraikkonen
Level 7
Arvizu360 wrote:
Hello there guys,
I have been recently getting a long black screen usually around 30-40 seconds right after the windows boot animation with the windows logo. Right after that animation my screen goes black for around 40 seconds then it makes the welcome to windows sound and the password window pops. It usually happens only after a shutdow. sleep seems to be ok. i have the latest drivers from Nvidia. 306 i believe. any help?

What about using previous WHQL, 301.42?
ASUS G53JW-XA1

I dont have a SSD. All nvidia drivers seem to do it exept for the one that comes with the CD. i believe its 286.7 something like that.. is there a way to fix it? i loose fps with old drivers too.. and I dont think this is far for a 1,400 dll Computer not being able to get the lastest nvidia drivers..

dstrakele
Level 14
Open a case with NVIDIA or post your issue in the Official Feedback Thread for 306.23 WHQL on the NVIDIA forum. They may be able to fix it in a future release.

In the meantime, suffer through the unbearable 40 seconds of black screen on startup to have better video performance. You'll be a stronger person for it....

I'd recommend troubleshooting with a Windows clean boot procedure to disable 3rd party software on your system. I suspect such software may be delaying the load of the NVIDIA drivers.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

zsld0423
Level 9
Have you tried using the 304.48 Driver from Nvidia? I've used that since it came out and I've had no issues with it, maybe it'll help with that black screen? Couldn't hurt to try I suppose lol, can always just install the 306 one/do a windows restore if by chance something goes wrong
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate