cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia drivers paranoia for G74s

Midnightwyvern
Level 7
Yes, paranoia pretty much describes it. I've been staring at the installation of the new 306.23 drivers since forever (moreso on its predecessor 301.42). As everyone knows (some painfully), Asus has had us stuck on 296.16 for months. Now normally this wouldn't be affecting me so much, except that I'm seeing people on comps with half my stats play some titles with every single graphic setting set to max with flawless graphics, while I'm getting slowdown on the supposed gaming powerhouse. I tend to take such things personally, since I'm prideful with my Asus.
To mention some titles, it handles WoW, SC2, and Diablo 3 on ultra settings absolutely flawlessly. But the main examples I can use are SW:TOR and GW2, especially the later. So many times, and without there being anything overly exerting happening on screen or even nearby, the framerate just drops, as far down as 10 fps, then after a few moments comes back up. At first I thought it was the hard drive causing a slowdown, but testing that, I found nothing to indicate that it was (both hard drives are regular sata, not SSD). And note that those slowdowns still randomly pop up even with settings down to lower scales.
Now we come back to my paranoia. So many boards, even this one, are filled with horror stories of comps going bonkers when given the new drivers, the least of which were fixed by a rollback, but it's still something I don't want to get into. For me, this is a classic case of "should I leave well enough alone" vs "get the latest driver and things should smooth out".
But the bottom line is I'm looking to find out if my paranoia is baseless, or is it worth a risk to save the honor of a gaming laptop. I mean, isn't it a stab to its pride when you consider something with i7 2.2 GHz, 16Gb ram and 3Gb graphic memory to still suffer from *slowdown*?
8 REPLIES 8

PILGRIM
Level 11
Now, I'm not sure if you're asking for ideas.. or just telling a narrative of your "paranoia".:)

But here's an unsolicited advice. Aside from newer nVidia drivers supposedly providing
more stability to the GPU, it's also a well known fact that they are released to optimize
certain power-intensive games (those specific games are shown in every nVidia driver releases).

Yes, we take pride on the built, form, and specs of these gaming laptops we chose to own.
But take note that even the current highest-end gaming laptop also needs the best drivers
for it reach its full potential..

So, why not take a deep breath, and take the plunge by installing nVidia's latest 306.23 WHQL driver?
Who knows, your G74 might thank you for doing so.. 😉
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Now, I'm not sure if you're asking for ideas.. or just telling a narrative of your "paranoia".:)

But here's an unsolicited advice. Aside from newer nVidia drivers supposedly providing
more stability to the GPU, it's also a well known fact that they are released to optimize
certain power-intensive games (those specific games are shown in every nVidia driver releases).

Yes, we take pride on the built, form, and specs of these gaming laptops we chose to own.
But take note that even the current highest-end gaming laptop also needs the best drivers
for it reach its full potential..

So, why not take a deep breath, and take the plunge by installing nVidia's latest 306.23 WHQL driver?
Who knows, your G74 might thank you for doing so.. 😉

What is the link for this nVidia driver version? link I have does not list versions over 300.

Number_27 wrote:
What is the link for this nVidia driver version? link I have does not list versions over 300.

Related thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22843-Nvidia-GeForce-306.23-WHQL-Driver-Has-Arrived

Direct link: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/48693
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Midnightwyvern
Level 7
Yeah, I'll more than likely install it, but one related matter. Will it be necessary to uninstall Asus Live Update? As in will it cause a conflict with Nvidia's update check?

PILGRIM
Level 11
By all means, remove that ASUS Live Update.
Its intended purpose has been negated by actual experiences of users.
It is supposed to make drivers/software updating a lot more convenient.
But it actually does the opposite- BIOS update bricked the laptop,
the system drivers going awry, you name it..

Also, it would be better not to install nVidia's Update Program.
The user should have control over when or how to update,
especially with this kind of driver.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Midnightwyvern
Level 7
Installed, and so far so good. Though I won't create a new thread for what I'm about to mention now, as it may be related, even if doubtful. This happened yesterday once, and just a few moments ago. And one case was while me net browsing, the other was with the system idle. I'd hear the usb disconnect sound, and the screen goes blank. Now sometimes it comes back on its own, others i have to shimmy the laptop slightly for it to come back. Yesterday, the usb disconnect sound kept repeating over and over. I'm guessing this is a physical problem, maybe a lose wire, but I thought I'd ask here all the same.

dstrakele
Level 14
The behavior you report sounds like the driver is cycling through resolution settings. Do you have an external monitor or HDTV connected to your laptop?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
The behavior you report sounds like the driver is cycling through resolution settings. Do you have an external monitor or HDTV connected to your laptop?

At the time of the glitch, no, it was just the laptop on its own. Since this has happened I've taken care not to bump or shake it while using it, and it hasn't happened since. Then again I'm assuming something this size, despite being a laptop, wasn't intended to handle impacts well.