cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install new SSD, Windows 7 options?

Number_27
Level 7
I just ordered a Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s and figure to open up my G74SX case, remove all HDDs, install this new SSD.

Assuming I do so, do I turn on the laptop and use my Recovery DVDs to install Windows 7? All I need to do? Then reload application prgrams (Office, etc.)?

If I put back in the removed HDDs "as is" (or "as was" as the case may be) will my system be as it was, no harm no foul? Just in case I screw up with SSD install I'd like to get back with ease to what I currently have.

Hoping to end with system comprising SSD with Windows 7 & application programs to boot from, and 7200 750GB HDD to store movies and TV recordings. I primarily use my G74SX as a sort of A/V server for three Xbox Windows Media Center extenders. Would like to boot quicker so I do not have to leave laptop on all the time.

Have also read that I can somehow obtain a Windows 7 ISO file and install just Win7 without all the Asus bloatware using my Windows License key on bottom of laptop. Sounds good, how?

I ahave upgraded from Home to Ultimate using the Windows upgrade and purchased key, so would like any copy of Win7 installed to ultimately be Ultimate. I assume if I succeed in installing Home Premium and I can again upgrade using my already purchased Win7 Ultimate upgrade key.

Any help is appreciated. I think I would prefer to install just Win7 without Asus bloatware but I have not experienced any real trouble with the Asus stuff, just seems unnecessary to me.

Extra credit points: I have set up Media Center to use an Ethernet-connected Silicondust HDHR Prime digital tuner (3 individual HDTV tuners which allow me to use networked Xboxes as WMC extenders connected to each of my 3 TVs). If anyone knows how I might save the settings both in the Silicondust HDHR software (tuner setups) and WMC to make the reinstall easier, well, that would be above & beyond the call of duty.
31 REPLIES 31

cl-scott
Level 12
Generally speaking, yes, all you should need to do is boot off the restore DVDs and go from there to reinstall Windows on the SSD. The license key you have on the bottom of your computer is a volume license key, so it will NOT work with any ISO image. So, if you're not a fan of the bundled software, sorry, but the alternative is a lot of wasted time trying to contend with activation issues.

Afraid I can't help with the extra credit setup, except to suggest that you could try a disk imaging program instead of reinstalling from scratch. Not sure what a copy of Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image would run you, and there's also the free CloneZilla, but that would certainly be an option you could look at before you get too far along.

Many threads on clean Win7 installs.

Also, I found a Win7 CD in the product stuff for my HannSPREE Notebook. What if I loaded this and used my Asus product key for Win7? This is NOT my HannSPREE recovery disc which I separately have. I have 2 CD from HannSPREE 1) recovery disc w/ Win7 HP, and 2) what looks like and says is just Win7 but has Hannspree and notebook series along title top.

Actually both are DVD.

cl-scott
Level 12
Nope, that won't work either. Guess I left out the OEM part when I said you have a volume license key, so it's more properly a volume OEM license key, and one of those from Asus is completely different from one from Acer, Dell, Toshiba, HP, or anywhere else.

When you get into the realm of install media that came with computers, things get real murky real fast as to what will and will not work. This particular scenario will not work.

PILGRIM
Level 11
cl-scott wrote:
...The license key you have on the bottom of your computer is a volume license key, so it will NOT work with any ISO image. So, if you're not a fan of the bundled software, sorry, but the alternative is a lot of wasted time trying to contend with activation issues...

Sorry, but my experience tells otherwise. It may not work with other Windows 7 ISOs,
but it does with a Windows Home Premium 64 bit ISO.

Number_27 wrote:
...If I put back in the removed HDDs "as is" (or "as was" as the case may be) will my system be as it was, no harm no foul? Just in case I screw up with SSD install I'd like to get back with ease to what I currently have.

Yes. It's a good backup plan, especially if the laptop is sent to ASUS for repair.

...Have also read that I can somehow obtain a Windows 7 ISO file and install just Win7 without all the Asus bloatware using my Windows License key on bottom of laptop. Sounds good, how?

It has to be a Windows Home Premium 64 bit ISO.
You may download it here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

I ahave upgraded from Home to Ultimate using the Windows upgrade and purchased key, so would like any copy of Win7 installed to ultimately be Ultimate. I assume if I succeed in installing Home Premium and I can again upgrade using my already purchased Win7 Ultimate upgrade key.

Your assumption is right.

...I think I would prefer to install just Win7 without Asus bloatware but I have not experienced any real trouble with the Asus stuff, just seems unnecessary to me.

Likewise. It's commonly called Windows OS clean installation in the Forum.
Many have done it. Many are happy with it..

Good luck, if you choose to do a clean OS installation on your new SSD.
Welcome to the Forums..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

IxPanda
Level 7
Number_27 wrote:

Have also read that I can somehow obtain a Windows 7 ISO file and install just Win7 without all the Asus bloatware using my Windows License key on bottom of laptop. Sounds good, how?

I've found the easiest way is to download the iso linked above, go to (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool ) and simply choose the iso and add it to a CD or USB. I went the USB route. make sure your BIOS are configured to allow you to boot from USB. It should come up with the USB name in the boot priorities in your BIOS. install windows as normal.

As for activation, I used the phone activation route. it took about 3 minutes and it activated just fine. I've reinstalled windows a few times now with no issues.

Good luck!
ASUS G74SX-XA1
120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD + 750GB HDD.
Intel Core I7 2670QM.

IxPanda wrote:
I've found the easiest way is to download the iso linked above, go to (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool ) and simply choose the iso and add it to a CD or USB. I went the USB route. make sure your BIOS are configured to allow you to boot from USB. It should come up with the USB name in the boot priorities in your BIOS. install windows as normal.

As for activation, I used the phone activation route. it took about 3 minutes and it activated just fine. I've reinstalled windows a few times now with no issues.

Good luck!

A good reminder, IxPanda. I concur the faster and more reliable Windows OS installation is via USB.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

I saw in another thread where Brodyboy provided a list of drivers to update. Unsure of this step. When do I do this, after Win7 install & prior to Win7 update? And how do I do this, just copy driver files to some Win7 folder? Which folder?

And how do I obtain the drivers themselves?

Number_27 wrote:
I saw in another thread where Brodyboy provided a list of drivers to update. Unsure of this step. When do I do this, after Win7 install & prior to Win7 update? And how do I do this, just copy driver files to some Win7 folder? Which folder?

And how do I obtain the drivers themselves?

Install the drivers one at a time as listed by Brody, just after Windows installation.
Windows updates should be done after all drivers were installed and tested.
You may store all drivers in the HDD Secondary Drive or in any USB-connected drive.

Get drivers here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=
ASUS G74SX-3DE

IxPanda wrote:

Good luck!

Care to expand on this phone activation route? I do have a license with product key on bottom of laptop.