cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 car adapter ?

harDDDy
Level 7
Greets all! My G75VW-DS73-3D arrives later today. I've been here lurking, now I'm SO ready to start working.

I'm wondering, has anyone found a 12volt car adapter to use with this laptop? I've located a "Universal" 12V power adapter that's rated at 120 watts, but the specs for the G75 (at ROG website) state that the ac power brick which comes with it is rated at 180 watts. I won't be doing any gaming in the car, just running mapping/GPS software. Would the 120watt unit work? Bad idea? Anyone found the "right" adapter?

Thanks in advance - Hardy
10 REPLIES 10

eugene_nelson
Level 7
Never run on lower power. Only bad things can happen.
G75VW-BBK5

( My G75VW-DS73-3D has arrived!! Gonna be busy for a while, but I'll be back.) 😄

cl-scott
Level 12
Just to add to the other comments, you want to make sure that the car ports can actually OUTPUT 180W assuming you could find one. I know on my car there's a sticker saying never to plug in anything over 120W. I can't tell you if this is some sort of industry standard in the US or what, but you definitely do NOT want to plug in a 180W adapter if you have an "outlet" which can only provide 120W of power. You could end up damaging the electrical system in the car, and potential outcomes tend to go downhill from there.

So, you may just have to come to grips with the idea that your G75 is not car friendly.

"So, you may just have to come to grips with the idea that your G75 is not car friendly."

NOOOOOOOoooo !!! :eek: Once you've travelled w/DeLorme (or similar) running on a 17" screen ...

(Slightly Off Topic: This 50-something-yr-old amateur stereographer spent a significant portion of yesterday giggling with delight at his new G75VW-DS73-3D ... very fast, sweet display, excellent and versatile 3D, good looking machine ... and the George Foreman power brick makes meals in minutes! Yeppers, might just blow the car's 12v accessory fuse.)

Since I have in the past wired audio amps in the car which pull hundreds of watts, I know that the vehicle's alternator/elec.sys. can handle the load. So I'm wondering if there's any reason two ~100w adapters couldn't be wired in parallel .....

Of course, I could use one of those BIG inverters and the AC power brick, but I'd prefer something more elegant and efficient.

I'm surprised this issue/question hasn't come up before. I travel a lot and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who HAS to have his computer available at all times. 🙂

harDDDy wrote:
Since I have in the past wired audio amps in the car which pull hundreds of watts, I know that the vehicle's alternator/elec.sys. can handle the load. So I'm wondering if there's any reason two ~100w adapters couldn't be wired in parallel .....

Sounds like a great little project for a weekend or two, and I'd be interested in hearing how you make out... Don't forget the photos of the remains of your car should things go badly. :eek:

"Don't forget the photos of the remains of your car should things go badly."

... in 3D of course.

harDDDy wrote:
"Don't forget the photos of the remains of your car should things go badly."

... in 3D of course.

That'd be preferable, video of the immolation in process is even better, but I'm not greedy. 🙂

harDDDy;163241

[\QUOTE wrote:

If running whole bunches of watts for a stereo system you have to use a different direct connection to the car battery/power system. All protected appropriately of course.

Lots of stereo shops around etc that could set you up correctly and appropriately and safely with a power source that is not going to short circuit you or provide flaky power to an AC adapter.

Seriously though consider turning off your asus beast while driving ... please!

Bigote
Level 7
harDDDy wrote:
Greets all! My G75VW-DS73-3D arrives later today. I've been here lurking, now I'm SO ready to start working.

I'm wondering, has anyone found a 12volt car adapter to use with this laptop? I've located a "Universal" 12V power adapter that's rated at 120 watts, but the specs for the G75 (at ROG website) state that the ac power brick which comes with it is rated at 180 watts. I won't be doing any gaming in the car, just running mapping/GPS software. Would the 120watt unit work? Bad idea? Anyone found the "right" adapter?

Thanks in advance - Hardy

Try going to an auto parts store and see if you can find an inverter to suit your needs.