cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 General/Driver Installation Guide

zsld0423
Level 9
Installation

2. I used the Windows USB/DVD Tool to put the Windows 8 image onto a 4GB USB (There was about 500mb left after the image was done)

3. Install went fairly well, really quick. Easy to set up

4. Got it all set up, and I'm at the (In my opinion :P) dreaded Metro Interface. So first thing I did was download Start8 from Stardock, it's been the BEST Start Button replacement I've found. Some quick features that I really like... A. There's an option to bypass the Metro screen when you log in. B. There's an option to disable the hotspots that are at the edges of the screen. I'll probably end up buying this software once it's out of beta, I think it's at version 0.90 right now.

Drivers

5. Started to install my drivers, yay! So here is where you'll want to pay attention...

A. Power4Gear (I like using the ROG button at the top right) - Installed fine, but it did give me an error that it couldn't install the gadget, I clicked OK and it finished the install (If you didn't know, Microsoft decided to kill off gadgets in Win8 and you can't download them from the Microsoft Site anymore, can't even install the ones I already have downloaded)

B. ATK Package Version 1.0.0014 - Installed fine

C. Realtek Audio - Installed fine, Install THIS version, it is version 2.70, compared to the version 2.67 on the Driver thread, and this one supports Win8 (It's 64bit version btw)

D. Card Reader - Installed fine

E. Ethernet/Wireless - Worked out of the box, no driver install needed

F. USB3.0 Driver - Installed fine

Troublesome Drivers

G. Nvidia 306.23 64bit Windows7/8 Driver - Driver kept failing and recovering, and eventually resulted in me blue-screening, going into a bootloop, and having to do a system restore because of the blue screens as soon as the computer starts up.

---Solution---
This is really weird, and may not apply to everyone, but here's my experience with it. To combat the constant blue-screens of a Fresh-Installed 306.23 Nvidia Driver, I installed the 304.48 one, which dealt with all the issues EXCEPT the laptop would Blue-Screen whenever the lid was closed. After some searching and going through the .DMP files, I decided to go from the 304.48 to the 306.23 again and see what happened. Here's what I tried just so all the bases are covered.
1. First, made a restore point with the 304.48 just in case 😛
2. ---This option did NOT work--- Ran the 306.23 installer, and at the spot to choose between Express or Custom, I chose Custom and selected the option to uninstall the current driver. BAD CHOICE. After clicking install, the computer instantly blue-screened, restarted, and when I went to Programs and Features, the old 304.48 Driver was still installed and working. Tried it again, blue-screened again and restarted.
3. ---This option DID work--- Ran the 306.23 installer, and this time I chose Express and it started to install without a hitch, the install finished successfully and had me restart. I restarted, came back to the desktop, and closing the lid no longer blue-screens and crashes!! So that's 1 error thankfully conquered 😄

Solution also tested and verified by IxPanda

4. ---This solution DOES work, and is the easiest so far--- Instead of using the 306.x driver, download the newest Beta Driver from Nvidia, which is the 310.33 and do a fresh install with that, and you should be set.

Thanks to Cheetoox for the heads up

H. Sentelic Touchpad driver version 9.1.3.5. This can also apply to the Synaptic Touchpad as well - Every time I clicked Setup and tried to install, it came up with an error that the driver was not applicable to my system and couldn't continue

---Solution---
Since that's a fairly easy workaround, I'll try and explain as best I can.
What you want to do is open up the Device Manager (Right click on Computer and click Manage)
Go to the Mice and other Pointing Devices tree.
Expand that, and there should be an option for something like PS/2 Compatible port or HID Compliant Mouse. (If you don't have an external mouse plugged in, it should be the only option).
What you do is right click on the PS/2 Compatible port/HID Compliant Mouse
Click Update Driver Software
Then click Browse My Computer for Driver Software,
click Let me Pick from a list of drivers on my computer,
then Have Disk, then click Browse.
It will bring up a popup window, and you'll want to navigate to the extracted folder for the Touchpad Driver.
Inside that folder, there should be 1 file you can pick that's called fspad.
Choose that and click Open, then OK, then Next and it should install in a few seconds.
After that, it should prompt you to Reboot and when it starts back up you'll have the Finger Sensing Pad Configuration options in the Mouse section of the Control Panel

Other than that, the only real thing left for me to do is drop by www.ninite.com to grab some software, and then install stuff like DirectX and copy my saved games from my backup to my newly reformatted C:\ Drive.

Also, for anyone who takes an interest, here's a comparison between Win7 Experience Index and Win8 Experience Index
Windows 7
Windows 8
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate
38 REPLIES 38

PILGRIM
Level 11
Good for you, you already got the Win 8 Pro Edition ahead of time.. 🙂
I've been waiting for it to arrive (Mid-October?).

G. Nvidia 306.23 64bit Windows7/8 Driver - Driver kept failing and recovering, and eventually resulted in me blue-screening, going into a bootloop, and having to do a system restore because of the blue screens as soon as the computer starts up.

The irony!.. And nVidia claimed the 306.23 WHQL version is supposed to be the first Win 8 compliant!..

Glad to have one like you as an early adapter. Thanks for sharing your experience and the tips for troubleshooting. Please post more updates as they arise..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

zsld0423
Level 9
1 bug so far, which may be a deal-breaker for people who utilize dual-monitors and go from 1 to 2 screens often. When I plug in my HDMI cable, it's set to extend the display, which works fine. But when I close the lid on my laptop, the computer either blue-screens and then restarts, or there's no blue-screen at all and it just restarts, and comes back up with the usual error about windows not shutting down correctly.

I already made sure the setting for laptop lid was set to do nothing when closed, and it's still doing it. If I go into the screen resolution section and manually set it to only display the screen on 1 display, it works fine, but as soon as the lid is closed the computer crashes. Haven't found any fixes yet, but I'm still looking

Edit: ALSO, for anyone who's wanting to transfer their saved games, MAKE SURE you back up your C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData folder, because it will have a lot of settings. If you are playing any game that uses Games for Windows Live, YOU NEED TO HAVE THE MICROSOFT SUBFOLDER or you will LOSE your saved games. This really only affected me on Batman Arkham City that I got from Steam, but if other people down the road have issues with Windows 8 +GFWL, I'll try my best to lay out how I got it working right.
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

PILGRIM
Level 11
Interesting result with the WEI comparisons. Any idea on why graphics went down a bit on Win 8?
Glad to see the Processor and Primary Hard Disk went up a notch or two, though..

Overall impression on Win 8- boot time, multi-media playing, web surfing, gaming, etc.?
Is it any zippier? Or no noticeable difference with Win 7?
ASUS G74SX-3DE

zsld0423
Level 9
I'm thinking it's because with Windows 7, the scale was from 1-7.9, and in Windows 8 it goes from 1-9.9, so if I had to guess I'd say that's why.

Boot times - On average, with an SSD, Windows 7 would boot in about 20-25 seconds. Windows 8 boots in around 15 seconds. For multi-media playing, no noticeable difference, my iTunes/Google Music behave the same way as they did before. Web surfing is the same as well, no real difference at all. Games also don't seem to have much if any difference than Windows 7, I haven't had any crashes so far. Skyrim and GW2 have been playing fine, along with Batman Arkham City.

It does seem a little bit "zippier" and overall a little more fluid, but nothing life changing. The ribbon interface in Windows Explorer is helpful, really nice to be able to get to certain things (show hidden folders as an example) much quicker than going through the Win7 interface, but nothing too bad. I really like the Task Manager overhaul, it seems to function a lot better and it has the Startup Programs incorporated into it, with a simple Enable/Disable button. Almost everything in general has more of a "square" feel than Windows 7, that I noticed pretty quickly.

Can't really comment too much on the Metro apps, since I have it set to bypass metro on login, I haven't touched any of it so far. Also, another nice thing is that along with having a password on the computer, I can set additional passwords that can be used. So for example, I set up a PIN so that I can just type in a quick number and log in faster than typing my entire password. Just stuff like that, ease-of-access.
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

PILGRIM
Level 11
All right.. Methinks it's also worth it upgrading to Windows 8 as soon as I can grab a copy.
Thanks for sharing, zsld0423.. Appreciate it a lot. 😄
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
All right.. Methinks it's also worth it upgrading to Windows 8 as soon as I can grab a copy.
Thanks for sharing, zsld0423.. Appreciate it a lot. 😄

Before I had to RMA my G74SX I had a dual-boot of windows 7 and 8. Just a few things I discovered I figured I'd share with everyone. 🙂

First time I installed Windows 8. I did it via an upgrade through Windows 7. I HIGHLY recommend people don't do this. for one thing, I didn't have the option to (or missed) install to my seperate partition. It took over my Windows 7 partition.
- The upgrade went perfectly smooth. however, when I started messing around with it after it finished. I had serious compatibility issues. a lot of things would not work with Windows 8. Including the application version of IE10. The Metro version worked fine. Lots of driver issues, etc.
- Getting tired of the issues I formatted and did a fresh install. It made a world of difference. I had few to no issues with compatibility. I gave IE10 a shot but ended up going back to chrome again. 🙂
- As for speed. I found it was considerably faster actually. A friend of mine installed Windows 8 on an older computer with about 2G of ram. and he is seriously impressed with the responsiveness.
- The new interface is slightly difficult to get used to, finding the power button, PC settings, that sort of stuff was a little difficult. but it is there.
- Overall, I would recommend ROGers give it a fair shot.

- TL;DR, Don't upgrade. Only fresh install it and give it a fair chance. 🙂
ASUS G74SX-XA1
120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD + 750GB HDD.
Intel Core I7 2670QM.

IxPanda wrote:

...Don't upgrade. Only fresh install it and give it a fair chance...

Thanks for the warning, IxPanda . Don't know why I said "upgrade"
eventhough what was really on my mind was to buy a physical copy.
Could be that Windows 8 is technically an upgrade to Windows 7..

This is a very helpful thread, especially to those who wanted to migrate to Windows 8.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Thanks for the warning, IxPanda . Don't know why I said "upgrade"
eventhough what was really on my mind was to buy a physical copy.
Could be that Windows 8 is technically an upgrade to Windows 7..

This is a very helpful thread, especially to those who wanted to migrate to Windows 8.

Yes 😄 still about a month to go until Win8 comes out, I may have to *try* and make this a comprehensive guide for Win8 on the G74, though by that time I'm sure there will be a lot of other posts with questions about it haha
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

PILGRIM wrote:
Thanks for the warning, IxPanda . Don't know why I said "upgrade"...

Wasn't directed at you, PILGRIM, I just thought I'd share my experience with it. 🙂
ASUS G74SX-XA1
120GB OCZ Vertex III SSD + 750GB HDD.
Intel Core I7 2670QM.