cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First PC Build for a Customer!

Jstn
Level 10
Alright guys, I'm going to be doing a build for my cousin who doesn't know too much about computers and wanted an iMac (NO!). I am building him a decent budget setup and with some nifty thoughts and ideas I had in mind here is how it goes:

CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus Mid Tower (Customers #1 pick) (Newegg link here).
MOBO: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ (Newegg link here)
CPU: AMD FX-6200 (Newegg link here).
GPU: EVGA GTX 560Ti (Newegg link here).
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX Series 750W (Newegg link here)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Blue (4x4GB) (Newegg link here)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Newegg link here)

and now the cool part... I decided to go all out with the Enermax Vegas Duo series, virtually he will be able to switch his whole lighting scheme into 10 different modes, but more commonly.. between Red and Blue LED's!!

The only thing he asked was that he wanted a nice dark case with blue LED's... So I think he will like the turnout 😉

CPU Cooler: Enermax TB Vegas Duo (Newegg link here)
Case fans (5x120mm): Enermax TB Vegas Duo 120mm: (NCIX link here)

It's very straight forward, with exception of the lighting.. which will be pretty neat! I will post pictures, we're going to my local supplier on Sunday to pick up all the parts.

He's adopted 2 of the parts from me at next to nothing. I had 2 AMD FX-6200's and I will be upgrading my 560Ti 🙂

I do need to know some information, if anyone might have the answer for it.. I need to know if it's possible to hard-wire the fan controllers to all work off of one? This would be much more logical than finding a way of mounting several seperate controllers.. I think I can do it, not positive! If anyone has any prior knowledge of this please let me know 🙂

Stay tuned for pics and more info!
24 REPLIES 24

Jstn
Level 10
So first off, since I know that he will be using my 560Ti.. I wanted to make him a custom backplate like my current setup as a little bonus!

Here was my backplate:

and here is the design I had whipped up in Photoshop for his rig!:

His last name is "Ironside" I figured I would be corny enough to make an Ironman themed backplate with the ROG logo incorporated of course!

Hi thats wicked, how do you go about making a backplace for your 560ti? I have two and i think this would be a neat idea.
Antec 1200, Asus Rampage IV Formula, EVGA 1300w PSU, Intel i7 4930K, ASUS Strix LC 120 Cooler, Asus 1070 OC 8gb X2, 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Dominator 2133Mhz DDR3 Quad Channel RAM, Samsung Evo SSD 500gb x2, Samsung Evo SSD 250gb , 2 x WD Velociraptor, Windows 10 Pro

Jstn
Level 10
Hey n00b, sorry I didn't include a tutorial on how to at the time.

All you need is a hi-resolution/quality image cut to the size of your backplate.

Next, get a very thick piece of clear plastic (what I used in that picture above) or even fiberglass, and do the same, cut it to size. I unscrewed the 4 holes holding my GPU assembly, made 4 corresponding holes through the backplate, then refastened it. If the edges lift or it doesnt look at clean as you'd like it to simply find another screw around the perimeter of the card and repeat the step through that.

kkn
Level 14
jstn: next time try whit a 5mm acryl/plexi ( if its not too tick ) and drill in a 3mm hole and mount a 3mm led light 😉

Jstn
Level 10
Nice idea 😉

I did mine as a spur of the moment decision in my apartment with little to no tools, using only what I had available to me ^^

I agree 100% though, I was planning on making a proper one using 5mm plexi as well!

Jstn wrote:
Nice idea 😉

I did mine as a spur of the moment decision in my apartment with little to no tools, using only what I had available to me ^^

I agree 100% though, I was planning on making a proper one using 5mm plexi as well!

It looks awesome and extremely professional from the picture you posted. I thought you had it made until I read what you had done.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Good job.
Nice cable management. Thumbs up
#welcomechallenges

speed
Level 12
Us lexan it's easyer to work with than plexi. It does not split, chip or crack. drills smooth.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

Ah grand Jstn, thanks, another question, how do you apply the image to the plastic? Is it a glued on or something exotic?

Is there enough length on the screws to fit a 5mm sheet?
kkn, how would you power the LED light?

Sorry for all the questions, new to case etc modifications as ive never done anything and only found this forum since buying the RIVF which has got my interest going.
Antec 1200, Asus Rampage IV Formula, EVGA 1300w PSU, Intel i7 4930K, ASUS Strix LC 120 Cooler, Asus 1070 OC 8gb X2, 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Dominator 2133Mhz DDR3 Quad Channel RAM, Samsung Evo SSD 500gb x2, Samsung Evo SSD 250gb , 2 x WD Velociraptor, Windows 10 Pro